How to remove water spots from Boat?

• TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

Washed and cleaned my boat today. But found that the soap does not remove the water spots which can be seen everywhere, especially the transom. What do you all use to remove these water spots? Thanks.,

01bullitt
    Cedar Falls, IA

Theres a product available through any marine store called ZING and works very well. There is one for aluminum and fiberglass. Its around 90% hydrochloric acid and will cause some damage if not rinsed shortly after . Wear latex gloves and use a terry cloth. Its around $10-15 and should work great. Also theres Bass Boat Saver used for waterspots and detailing. Never used it but heard it works great – http://www.bassboatsaver.com
    good luck

joel

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

“The Works” toilet/bathroom cleaner.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

How about a cheaper method, found at your friendly grocery store. I use a light mixture of vinegar, about 1 cup to 2 quarts of soft water. I have a hand sprayer, the kind they use in nurserys for misting plants, and use that all summer on my boats. A light spray and the spots dissolve. Buffing with a towel makes the equipment look like new again, and I don’t need to use gloves.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

The vinegar sounds good for now. Thanks. I will try that first.

davebmork
    Hayfield Mn

CLR Calcium Lime Rust in the spray bottle. You can use it on water spots and rust spots on your trailer on anything it works great.

lonboy
    Harlan, Iowa

I use the vinegar and water also. If you use it every time, you will be the envy of the launch pad
    It cheap and it’s good
    OK now for a question to all. Anyone know where I can buy winning lottery ticket?

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

CLR all the way!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Full strength apple cider vinagar!!! Works great to clean your electronics screens too.

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

As many have already stated, vinager and water in a spray bottle. A quick wipe down after each outing.

StaleMackrel

I have used CLR and also Lime A Way for extended times not being scrubed down. Both worked great! I will try the vinager routine also! Thanks for the info!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Vinegar works the best for me, I mix it strong, kind of prewash it over the water spots let it sit a little (5 minutes maybe) and run over it again with the same mix, spray with clean water wipe dry.

FWIW I have some Bass boat saver, and it works great for cleaning and waxing the boat, but it’s not so good at taking off water spots, It appears to prevent any new water spots after I applied it, but hasn’t quite taken off all the old water spots yet. I’d have to say though Bass boat saver on my glass boat is hands down the best and easiest cleaner I’ve ever used. Too bad it’s such a PITA to get (gotta order it online which isn’t hard just kind of a PITA, I’d just rather buy it locally)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Vinegar and water. It won’t harm the finish and it is absolutely fantastic on hardwater deposits. Cheap too.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

This hasn’t been mentioned, so I’ll add my 2 cents. Vinegar/water is great for removing water spots. A good coat of McGuire wax will help a lot from getting water spots in the first place. Especially for us guys who run black motors on the back!

-J.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.