Musky?

• Anonymous

I am thinking about trying a little musky fishing this summer. I mostly troll for eyes so this is going to be new to me.

Questions…

1.) Have any of you fished Lake St. Clair in Michigan. I hear the the bite is awesome in the summer.

2.) What lures work best for trolling? Name? Style? Color?

3.) What lures colors for what conditions

Any information is greatly appreciated..

Thanks
    Jason

Anonymous

I have never fished that far up north.

Bucktails are quite a hit, always keep the lure in the water. You have to find what they want, most of all you have to be patient. Top water baits for really thick weeds. Use your depth finder to see where the weeds end. Try to troll along there so fish can come out of the cover and you wont lose baits to all those weeds. Also you want to try to look for bait fish.

MuskyMidget
    White Bear Lake, MN

I don’t know much about St. Claire, but here are some good trolling crankbait lures:

Grandmas, Slammers, Jakes, Believers, Wiley Baits

Anonymous

I would get yourself a good assortment of bucktail lures and some top water lures to get you started. Remember good braided Tuff line 50 or 80 lb test. goodluck!

Anonymous

Say you are just starting out and were going to buy 20 lures what would they be?

for example:

Reefrunner deep diver, blue chrome, full size
    Storm thunderstick, Deep Junior, color #162

This is a new game to me and I can use all the help I can get…

Thanks again,
    Jason

YoZuri

bucktails in asst’d colors. 5 or 6 of them. Suicks, at least 9 inchers. I like the Bucher Top Raiders. Propeller bait. just for a start.

MuskyMidget
    White Bear Lake, MN

Whew ! 20 lures to choose from eh?

I am just going to start rattling off my favorite lures:

Bulldawg, Phantom, Shady Tail, Top Raider, Giant Jackpot, Slammer, Rad Dog Spinner, Suick, Undertaker …

Anonymous

Sounds like a cage match.
    And In this corner…….

Anonymous

Jason,

Starting out?

hmmm. Sometimes I wish I could start over…So I’ll pretend that I am.

Black #1 color-

Small Bucktail – Silver Blade or Orange Blade
    Large Bucktail – Silver or Orange Blade

Spinner Bait (Radd Dog) Silver blades Black/Red skirt

Suick- Black

Jerko- Black with White belly

Poe’s Giant Jackpot- Black with White Belly

Bucher Top raider – Black with orange spots

Firetiger-

Bucktail
    Rapala Super Shap Rap
    8″ Phantom

That’s about $250.00 worth…and probably all you’ll ever need. But it seems to grow…and grow…and grow..

guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

Hey Guys,

Thats a pretty good list Steve, I wish I could remember when I only had $250.00 worth of muskie tackle.

I was much younger then…

Anonymous

Steve, I picked up some of these… Bubba Tails.

I am excited to fling some on Bone Lake, WI next fall… and to try some on Tetonka, in MN.

Ever throw this color?

Do you think this lead hook will hold a fish… on just a clevis, or is if that is what it is intended?

Hoggie

Dave Hoggard

FishnFreak

I have a friend that fishes St.Claire and he loves the Magnum Jitterbugs in the shallow weeds, and Depth Raiders or Jakes for trolling the deeper water. I have not been out there yet, so no first hand knowledge, I just know what I’ve been told. As far as other lures to try, the above posts have hit on a good number of lures, ask around at the local shops, or if you make it down to the Cabela’s in Dundee — ask for Chuck and tell him the “freak” sent you!

Good Luck,
    Steve

Anonymous

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. We have a couple of decent lakes here in Ohio that I want to try first, if I manage to land any of these illusive beasts I’ll snap some pictures and post them here….

Come on SPRING and SOFT WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again,
    Jason

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.