Huge Muskies on Wisconsin Lake Forum

• Anonymous

Check it out. More photo’s to follow.
    Steve

MuskyMidget
    White Bear Lake, MN

Nice fish. Too bad the first picture was taken on land and doubtful the fish was released

YoZuri

looks like the one his son was cradling in his arms was probably not going to make it either.

guideman
    Lake Vermilion, Tower, Minnesota

That is one of the reasons Big Muskie’s are getting rare in the cheese state. Another one for the barby hey!

MuskyMidget
    White Bear Lake, MN

I agree Ace. For some reason, catch and release has not caught on in Shortsconsin as fast as it has in MN or other states.

That’s why Wisc is having such a hard time getting size limits increased. Too many people want to be able to keep smaller fish because they think they are trophies.

Don’t get me wrong, a high majority of the musky anglers in Wisc are releasing fish, but I still think WAY TOO many are being kept and killed in Wisc versus other states with higher size limits.

YoZuri

I fish Hayward all the time. I even had a 6 fish day out of one of the lakes mentioned. those will end quickly if big

fish like that are continued to be killed. I’m glad the child caught a big muskie. However, by killing it

they’re taking away a chance for somebody else’s son/daughter to get the thrill of a big fish like that.

I could go on and on. If it’s legal they have the right to kill it. Just really, really sad. I’m sure the guy releases alot of fish.

Muskie kill shots REALLY depress me.

MuskyMidget
    White Bear Lake, MN

I agree Yo- Zuri. I am not saying that they don’t have the right to keep fish, if the DNR says it’s ok, who am I to judge.

I just wish the state of Wisc would get into the 2000’s and increase size limits to protect their state fish. Wisconsin historically has been the “Musky Capital”

of the world.

But with the DNR still having a 34″ limit on a majority of lakes and the catch and kill ratio still too high in my opinion, they are no longer the Musky Capital.

Just look at recent Muskie Inc release lists. The high majority of monster muskies are coming from Minnesota and Canada (obviously), and even states like Illinois (who by the way I believe has a 48″ limit on all lakes).

Unfortunately the Wisc DNR has fallen behind in their qwest for large muskies because of pressure from resort owners who think that people traveling to “their” lake should have the right to keep a fish.

Well, I will end it with this. The day a 34″ musky is a trophy, is the day a 1 lb largemouth is a trophy too.

I think the state of Wisc tourism is suffering from their lack of management for large fish. Heck, look at all the “big name” musky anglers from nothern Wisconsin.

You think they are filming their big fish shows in their home state?

The answer to that is … no.

Anonymous

Whats the barby hey? I posted this message here to get you guys to post to the Wisconsin Lakes page. I think if someone wants to keep a fish it’s up to them. I think all these were released. I’ll let you know tomorrow on the Wisconsin Lake forum. Steve

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.