River Walleye Water Temps

• jrcunning1

Anyone want to enlighten me on the correlation between rising & falling fall water temps & the ‘eye bite? Went over to the river last weekend and got shut out. Came home & checked my Corps of Engineers website (regarding water temp) and found that the water temp had been falling for 5 straight days prior to me getting skunked. Then it bottomed out a day after I was there and was on the rise from there…
    I am thinking that the best days may be when the water temp bottoms out or maybe on the rise???
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. THink I will put my theory to the test tomorrow as it looks like water temps will bottom out today…Jim

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I am thinking that the best days may be when the water temp bottoms out or maybe on the rise???

I would say the best days are going to be when the water temp has remained stable for 3+ days. During the cold water period Nov/Dec/Jan you can see an uptick on days where the sun comes out and bumps the temp up a degree or two. Those days look real shallow….

-J.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Another note to add to what Jon revealed is that I see many days where the peak bite occurs late in the day as the temp rises… beyond that – we even catch them through the ice when the channel freezes solid. So they eat all winter long… just remember to slow your presentations a bit as the temps drop. Good luck, Chuckles

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.