Democratic change?

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I hear ya Molar… sitting in the middle watching the bullets whiz overhead… thinking Im going to get hit by some!… each side has their list of the others failings… when you stereotype you dont think for yourself… (so Ive heard anyway)….. its certainly confusing unless you let one side or the other “simplify” it for ya…. too bad its not simple.. the 2 sides cant even agree on whether there are problems or not!… the economy is going in the crapper… OR its the best ever! were winning the war on terrorism OR there are more terrorist than ever! We SHOULD be in Iraq… OR we SHOULDNT be!….. the funny thing is it seems what ever side your on sooner or later you end up being right!… someday maybe we WILL win the war on terrorism… Someday there WILL be more terrorist than ever…. etc, etc…. just wait long enough things will change.. they always do…. the Rs r in control… now the Ds… now the Rs…. now the Ds… back and forth… same results…. but the system does work… and has for over 200 years….. so hope is that it always will… and we will always live in the greatest country ever… so lets all be friends! (sticking my head up cautiously looking for bullets)

BIGURN
    WYKOFF MN

RIGHT NOW WE HAVE THE NATIONAL GUARD NOT ABLE TO THEIR JOB. PROTECT US AND OUR BORDERS ,HELP OUT IN TIMES OF NATURAL DISASTERS. THEY HAVE BEEN LIED TO AND TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF BY THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION.
    I ASK YOU HOW WE ARE BETTER OFF AND SAFER.
    HOW DO YOU PROPOSE WE “WIN” THIS WAR?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Big Urn, you might want to revisit the Carter years and the term “misery” index if you want to see who created double digit interest rates and inflation. It wasnt Reagan my friend, it was going on well before he came into office.

Within a year after Reagan came into office, inflation and interestest rates were down to single digits and dropping. He started his term in Jan 1981.

Consumer Price Index
    March 1979 10.1%
    High March 1980 14.8%
    Jan 1981 11.8% Reagan enters office
    Nov 1981 9.6% (last double digit to date)
    Jan 1982-Jan 1989 average 3.84% inflation for his last 7 years.

Please feel free to state your opinions, but dont be careful about mistatements that can be easily proven to be untruthful.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

My main issue this election is with taxes being increased. I don’t like the idea of taxes increasing, but I do support higher fees. Take fishing and hunting licenses. I see Hatch ads flying around saying that fishing and hunting licenses have increased. As a sportsman, I support paying these costs to support my activities. If they took my $2 more in taxes, I am sure a much smaller percentage would go towards natural resources. College tuition is another thing that drives me insane. I worked my off and paid and borrowed my way through college. I just cut my first check of many to pay back those loans. I graduated in the top 2% of my high school, maintained almost a 4.0 through college, yet I still got no help because I am white and my parents make too much money (and spend it on things they enjoy). I still made it.

How about no or less income/property taxes, and instead all consumption taxes? Stores already do a great job of collecting taxes, so just bump up the percentage. This way you pay for the things that are important to you. If I want to pay for my child to go to college, then so be it. This would also encourage more saving, and people doing their own retirement planning. There isn’t going to be Social Security money when I get there, so I will be fending for myself anyway. A consumption tax also hits the illegal aliens and corrupt drug dealers from getting away tax free.

JAE

I have never figured out how a person can be loyal to one party or the other. To me they are all pond scum, but a part of our life none the less. November 7th cant come fast enough for me. Now a little humor…………….

A man was washed up on a beach after a terrible shipwreck. Only a sheep and a sheepdog were washed up with him. After looking around, he realized that they were stranded on a deserted island.

After being there a while, he got into the habit of taking his two animal companions to the beach every evening to watch the sun set.

One particular evening, the sky was a fiery red with beautiful cirrus clouds, the breeze was warm and gentle – a perfect night for romance.

As they sat there, the sheep started looking better and better to the lonely man. Soon, he leaned over to the sheep and put his arm around it.

But the sheepdog, ever protective of the sheep, growled fiercely until the man took his arm from around the sheep.

After that, the thr ee of them continued to enjoy the sunsets together, but there was no more cuddling..

A few weeks passed by and, lo and behold, there was another shipwreck.

The only survivor was Hillary Clinton.

That evening, the man introduced Hillary to the evening beach ritual. It was another beautiful evening – red sky, cirrus clouds, a warm and gentle breeze – perfect for a night of romance. Pretty soon, the man started to get “those feelings” again..

He fought the urges as long as he could, but he finally gave in and leaned over to Hillary, cautiously and whispered in her ear…

“Would you mind taking the dog for a walk?”

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

ewe… thats a baaaaaaaaad one!!..

(and your right… politicians=pond scum… to many spend more time looking out for their ample backsides than thinking about what they can do to help out someone else)

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

draft dodg·er (plural draft dodg·ers)

noun

Definition:

somebody avoiding military conscription: somebody who seeks to avoid being drafted for military service

Please don’t put words in my mouth Dave because,
    obviously,that is not your father,nor did I say GWB was a draft dodger.I have many freinds that did exactly as your father did.That is,to avoid being drafted into the Army,joined the armed service of their choice.I know guys who,like your Dad,joined the Air Force and were sent to Cambodia or Laos.An honorable and noble thing to do.That’s a far cry from being able to avoid one’s likely military destiny because of one’s political connections.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Why is enlisting in the National Guard any different than enlisting in the Air Force. If you have some special knowledge of Bush’s situation, please provide the facts.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

RIGHT NOW WE HAVE THE NATIONAL GUARD NOT ABLE TO THEIR JOB. PROTECT US AND OUR BORDERS ,HELP OUT IN TIMES OF NATURAL DISASTERS. THEY HAVE BEEN LIED TO AND TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF BY THE CURRENT ADMINISTRATION.

Big Urn;
    Your statement isn’t quite true.
    The guard is being activated in just cause. It is in the contract.

The guard is there for times of war and ALSO to support our country during national disaster, primarily at the discretion of the governor.

So basically, being a Guardsman subjects you to warfare as directed by the President and social services as directed from the governor.

The reserves only fall into the catagory of being directed from the President and falls under no jursidiction of the governor.

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Special knowledge? Google GW’s military record and you will access much rhetoric from both sides on GW’s military career.One thing is for certain.GW somehow was accepted into the Texas Army Air National Guard ahead of a long line of applicants.Some of whom had been waiting years to be accepted.

BIGURN
    WYKOFF MN

JESSI LHOTKA FROM UP AROUND WHERE MOST OF YOU COME WAS KILLED THIS SPRING BY A ROAD SIDE BOMB. HIS FATHER WORKS
    WITH ME. SPICIFICALY WHAT HAS HIS DEATH DONE FOR YOU OR OUR COUNTRY. ARE YOU SAFER. AM I,ARE THE PEOPLE OF IRAQ
    BETTER OFF. WHAT GOOD HAS BEEN ACCOMPLISHED BY IT.
    HOW DO YOU PROPOSE WE FINISH IT.
    PERSONALLY I DON’T SEE ANY REPUBLICAN OR DEMOCRAT COMMING UP WITH AN ANSWERE.
    KICK OUT ALL THE PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS. 1 TERM ONLY.
    HELL DO AWAY WITH LOBBIEST, PARTIES, AND THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE AND LET THE COMMON MANS VOTE COUNT.

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

Quote:

SPICIFICALY WHAT HAS HIS DEATH DONE FOR YOU OR OUR COUNTRY.

It has proven that we WILL indeed stand up to coward terrorists, and it has restored the public’s faith in the courage of our military.

Mark

BIGURN
    WYKOFF MN

PERSONALY ITS PARTLY MY FAULT. THE LAST TIME I VOTED I VOTED FOR ROSS PEROT OUT OF PROTEST. AND HERE I AM LIPPIN
    OFF TO EVERY BODY HOW SCREWED UP STUFF IS.
    “IF YOUR NOT PART OF THE ANSWERE. YOUR PART OF THE PROBLEM”
    GUESS I JUST BETTER BAIT MY HOOK AND SHUT THE HELL UP, OUR DO SOMTHING ABOUT IT.INSTEAD OF RUNNING MY MOUTH.

BIGURN
    WYKOFF MN

YOU HAD TO GO AND SAY THAT.
    I NEVER DOUTED MY MILITARY.
    HE WASN’T FIGHTING TERRORIST
    AND THERE WEREN’T ANY IRAQI’S
    IN THEM PLANES ON THAT HIDIOUS DAY

AND I WAS NEVER AS PROUD OF MY COUNTRY AS I WAS THE DAY WE STARTED DROPPING MISSLES ON AFGANISTAN.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

SPICIFICALY WHAT HAS HIS DEATH DONE FOR YOU OR OUR COUNTRY.

It has freed me and my country from terrorizm, but bringing the war to “their” home and not ours. (terrorism)

It has freed me and my country from communist advancement. (Russians, North Korea, North Vietnam)

It has freed my country from facist advancement (Germans, Italians, Japaneese)

It has freed my country from tierny of an oppressive government. (Great Britian)

It has given me the constitution and the 27 amendments, securing my rights and freedom.

Nobody like war, it sucks, people die, all because some tyrant is wreaking havoc.

However, plese do note that we are 1 of 5 countries that are permenately on the UN Security Council. So, as long as the US is on that council, we will be the police for the world.

Both parties (democrate/republican) agree we need that position in the world.

However;
    back to the original question that Tuck put up.

I/We have no clue what will happen, for we do not know the type of politicians that will take office. Generally speaking, you can expect changes to come about in the eyes and beliefs in the democratic party.

BIGURN
    WYKOFF MN

I BET YOU DON’T GET AS SPIRITED A DEBATE OVER PLASTICS AGAINST MINNOWS. AS YOU GOT HERE.
    I WISH SOMEONE COULD COME UP WITH AN ANSWERE TO THE WORLDS PROBLEMS. ITS NOT ME OR ANYONE I KNOW.
    BUT ONLY IN THE USA CAN YOU AND I HAVE THIS DEBATE WITH OUT SOMEONE KICKIN THE DOOR DOWN.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Joey, this reply is not pointed at you personally, Just your democratic ideals….

Quote:

I vote democrat almost all the time. I like to look a person and look at there voting record, and not judge them on one issue.

“nothing in my life in public service I regret more than voting for the Iraq War resolution.” John Kerry Last week. >>>

Reconciling all that isn’t easy but Chris Wallace, host of “Fox News Sunday,” gave Kerry a chance to do it during a recent interview. Wallace noted that in 2004, after it was clear that there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Kerry insisted that — knowing that — he would have still voted to give the president the authority to go to war. Wallace contrasted that with what Kerry said just last week about how there was “nothing in my life in public service I regret more” than voting for the Iraq War resolution. What changed? Wallace asked.
    Kerry said it came down to bad management of the war itself, and that the administration had abused its authority and made a series of mistakes including isolating America.
    True, perhaps. But, given what we know about Kerry, that’s not the real reason for his conversion. This is: While Kerry spent 2004 trying to convince the country that he was strong enough to lead at a time of war, now he’s gearing up to run for president again and eager to woo the anti-war left. Along the way, Kerry has gotten tangled up in knots. The same goes for other Democrats. Caught between pragmatism and principle, it’s not always clear they know which is which.

How anyone voted for this man amazes me. The moniker that was attached to him during the campaign was dead on. FLIP FLOP. I want leadership. Not some wimp who changes his mind every time a new poll comes out.

Clinton has said repeatedly and I quote. “I do not intend to run for president” I actually believer her. Furthermore, as long as the Democrats are headed by Howard Dean, the party will continue to flounder. This guy is so far left, he scares too many moderate dems out there. How he got the job continues to confound me and many Dems that I talk to. Anyway, I could go on but……

Quote:

As for the war, I think we were decieved. Has anyone ever checked Haliburton stock befor the war and what it is currently.

One commet on Haliburton. If not Haliburton, then who all you geniuses out there? There is not another AMERICAN CORPORATION in the face of this earth that could do the job. Did you want to hire a German compay? Wait, no we should have let the French do the job. Please someone, anyone just name ONE AMERICAN COMPANY that could take that contract.

-J.

Pullinplugs

If they are smart, they will pick a more Centrist candidate and try to get the votes of people like me and Rivereyes. They may not be smart though.

I’m tired of the far right, I’m tired of the far left. Get me a candidate who thinks on his own and can try and bring the country and politics back together rather than split them (possibly impossible) and they will get my vote.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    That post about say’s it for me and a lot of other centists. Which reminds me of this:

Politicians are like diapers……..
    They need to be changed often and for the same reasons.

jld
    Holmen

I don’t considered myself Rep or Dem but I try to find what makes the most sense for me. I oppose abortion but I support unions especially the teachers. I am against excessive wasteful taxes but as a civilized society we have a responsibility to help those less fortunate with various social programs as long as they are not being abusive. I know alot of people will roll their eyes about the teachers union but being the son of a man who spent 30 years teaching I think they more than deserve what they get in the end because they sure as heck didn’t get it up front. The one thing that really gets me going are all the people who think that when a Dem gets into office all of our gun rights will be gone. I am avid hunter and I have collected a few guns over the years and in no way am I worried that my right to bear arms is threatened or will be taken away. That will never happen. The truth is that whoever becomes gov or president has very little effect on my daily life as a middle class worker/citizen. I have a bigger concern with the people who run in my local elections for county board, school board etc. To me it is all about common sense and balance, and in most cases both parties have lost touch.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I think the upcoming presidential election is gonna be real interesting. I hope for the sake of the Clinton family that she (a) doesnt run or (b) loses. I firmly believe that if she does win she will be off’d immediately, thus making her VP candidate very important.
    P.S. A vote for a democrat is a slap in the face of accountablity

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

As an uneducated person I would ask “WHO” there is left to vote as a centerist (hope I spelled that correctly) and also move this post “To The Top” so the day workers will see it and possibly respond.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Quote:

How so?

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I believe that Obama will be the Democrat’s candidate for president. I don’t think he’d get elected, because I believe that overall, we are still a racist society.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

How so?

Dems believe that no one is responsible for their actions. One’s behavior is invariably the fault of someone else, Father was too strict, Uncle was abusive, Mother was a lush, He was picked on in school etc. Given that all anti social behavior can be traced to someone else, how can you hold them accountable! Case in point of a “Slap in the Face of Accountability:
    ‘Last year, a New York jury found Lynne Stewart guilty of helping her former client, Sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, communicate with his Egyptian-based group of murderous terrorists, appropriately known as “the Islamic Group.”
    The blind sheik needed to instruct his followers to abandon a truce and resume murdering innocents, but he couldn’t get the message through because, by sheer coincidence, he was in prison for conspiring to murder innocents here in America by plotting the first World Trade Center bombing. So Stewart and a “translator” met with her former client in prison and took his messages for transmission to his followers in Egypt.
    With the full constitutional protections Democrats want for terrorists in Guantanamo, Stewart was convicted by a New York jury last year.
    This week, Judge John Koeltl — appointed to the bench by President Clinton.in 1994, spurned the prosecution’s request for a 30-year sentence and gave Stewart 28 months for being a terrorist’s mule. Now she’ll clog up the criminal justice system with endless appeals for the next several years — using procedures that liberals also want for Guantanamo detainees.’

Excerpts from a recent Ann Coulter column!

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Exactly Did my light work EJ

Whiskerkev
    Madison

The accountability party? You have got to be kidding. It was certainly showing great accountability and leadership to allow that Foley character to have access to pages and a leadership position when they knew for years he was inappropriately fond of them. How about funding the war outside the budget using a chinese credit card. That is very accountable. Not having a draft so no rich kids have to fight. that is accountable too. How about lying to the American people about why we went to Iraq. How about that big mission accomplished sign. I keep hearing about how we listen to the generals on the ground. If they didn’t like what they heard they got new generals. How about calling themselves fiscally conservative and then throwing out the biggest entitlement since the 60s and managing to make the entitlement a huge give away to big Pharma. They did that one with the same chinese credit card. That doesn’t even touch on the corruption, bribery, and gerrymandering with the likes of Ney, Delay, the Dukester cunningham et al. The Republican masses should be up in arms. Why isn’t there a national concealed carry law? I believe in fiscal conservatism. They suspended pay as you go. They did nothing about the high cost of health insurance. Today I read that a general is finally getting enough brass to tell them it isn’t working and all of the sudden after years of no progress we are considering a strategy change. What happened to stay the course. Must be flip floppers on both sides. McCain was against torture and now he is for it. I respected him until he abandoned his stance. The Republican leadership has lost its way and they need to be replaced with smarter people instead of slaves to the special interest.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Was Ann Coulter talking about Foley the Republican congressman that is blaming his actions on alcohol and a priest? The list could go on and on for both parties.

You see boys, to say that one party is less accountable than the other shows you don’t look at things with an open mind.

Jay Jones
    Onalaska Wi

I think the difference is that nobody is buying it, dems would reps wont. Find me a quote from someone saying what Foley did wasnt his fault (other than Foley). He is a perverted scumbag, dont expect a standing “O” for him anytime soon unless the dems give it to him, for the help he gave them this fall.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

Was Ann Coulter talking about Foley the Republican congressman that is blaming his actions on alcohol and a priest? The list could go on and on for both parties.

You see boys, to say that one party is less accountable than the other shows you don’t look at things with an open mind.

Hey Whiskey Keg and Apple Canyon Jeff,

The distinction, my friends , is that one Party demands accountability, that such behavior be penalized by resignation, to which Foley and Delay reluctantly conformed. Gerry Studds, gay Dem from MA convicted of Foley’s discretion plus actually having sex with a page, was re-elected by the MA constituency for several terms after his censorship! And of course, there is Slick Willy, but in his defense, she was an intern! My closed mind would ask for the disticntion between an intern and a page? Evidently you can turn an intern but not a page with impunity. Looks like that accountability thing again, thanks for setting up the opportunity for edification!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Okay Apple jack. It was a poor response at best. I may change my name to Whiskey keg in your honor. I actually have an antique whiskey keg cover hanging in our house. The Republicans need to get off that morality kick because they have been exposed as a bunch of free golf trip taking, money laundering, bribe taking, pedophile hiding, tax cut and spenders on credit fools. Wasn’t it you that decried the dems as the party of entitlement just after they threw that bone to the old folks? You need to read more.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.