Why won’t Cabelas build in Iowa????

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

I am getting so annoyed with all the Cabelas going up all over the place, other than Iowa!!! I’ve heard about 20 different rumors as to Cabelas has bought land here, or there. Some of which would have put a store within 5 min of where i grew up. Does anyone have any reasons or facts as to why they aren’t here? I-80 and I-35 cross in the middle of the state, plenty of traffic. Oh well, guess i’ll just have to keep planning trips to Cabelas in conjunction w/ other trips….

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Not trying to be a smart azz but I think its a population thing.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I don’t think population is the only factor seeing how there is a Cabelas in Prairie du Chien, WI. I don’t think PDC has more tha 5,000 people and the surrounding area is as rural as you can get. When you look at the locations of the stores several are located in smaller markets of less than 100,000 people. The DesMoines metro area is much larger than many of Cabelas current markets. You would think it would be a great location for an outlet.

Eyehunter

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Where is Iowa? Just kiddin’!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Rumor has it, if you build it they will come…

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

I’m sure it has somthing to do with distribution. Cabellas store fronts are primarily used for there mail order distribution. (Mail order makes them far more money.) I would guess that they have distribution in many of the surrounding state so they are not yet coming to IA.

Population has very little to do with where Cabellas puts there facilities. If you look I would assume that many if not all are very close to major shipping routes. Owatona is on 35 and Rogers is on 94. (Just as an example from MN.)

Whiskerkev
    Madison

They only open them in state’s that have football teams

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Maybe its the amount of deer we have walking through the department stores here breaking windows, that can be kinda expensive and adds up.

halielynn1

Rumor has it that Cabela’s has purchased ground in Newton, IA near the new race track. If the results are anything like Kansas City, KS, the results will be awesome!

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Quote:

It’s South of the State that voted a Wrassler as there Govenor.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Besox

A wrassler who might have been a knuckle head, but still the most honest Gov we’ve seen in a long time!

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Quote:

I’m sure it has somthing to do with distribution. Cabellas store fronts are primarily used for there mail order distribution. (Mail order makes them far more money.) I would guess that they have distribution in many of the surrounding state so they are not yet coming to IA.

Population has very little to do with where Cabellas puts there facilities. If you look I would assume that many if not all are very close to major shipping routes. Owatona is on 35 and Rogers is on 94. (Just as an example from MN.)

The major shipping routes thing makes sense except for Cabelas main warehouse which is located in Prairie du Chien. PDC isn’t even close to a 4-lane highway. They are lucky to have a couple stop lights. I believe they chose PDC for the outlet and warehouse because it was centrally located. It would have made better sense to locate the warehouse in either Dubuque or LaCrosse as they both have access to the interstate system.

I don’t get all excited about Cabelas anyway. They are not always the most economical place to shop. I like to stop a couple times a year but I’d much rather patronize my local bait shop and outdoor stores. Even Walmart has lower prices than Cabelas on things like Jointed Shad Raps. Cabelas is conveinient with their mail order catalog sales but the stores aren’t all that special.

Eyehunter

timmy

Quote:

Then how did WI get a store?!?!?

Tim

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Then how did WI get a store?!?!?

Tim

Ya HAD to know that was coming….

getmeoutdoors
    South central Nebraska

I could be wrong but I believe they like to build where they do not have to charge city sales tax on merchandise. I think that is the case with their store in Kearney, NE. They are exempt from the city sales tax.

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

I like Cabelas for their Bargain Cave, you can get a lot of things for incredibly cheap.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

A wrassler who might have been a knuckle head, but still the most honest Gov we’ve seen in a long time!

You gotta be twisting my arm, an ‘honest politician’, now there is an oxymoron for you, which is particularly ambiguous in this case!

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

North or South of the Gulf of Mexico?

pickeral_boy

I know that North Dakota doesn’t have one because of some state laws that makes it better for them to set up in MN. That is the closest one for me, East Grand Forks, MN. I was talking to someone there and they got me all excited when they said that they were going to finally bring s Cabelas to Canada. Only thing is that it is in Montreal, QC. Damm. At least the mail order will not have to be all taxed up by the border. Oh well…..
    B

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Quote:

I could be wrong but I believe they like to build where they do not have to charge city sales tax on merchandise. I think that is the case with their store in Kearney, NE. They are exempt from the city sales tax.

I also heard something to do with taxes but it is a fuzzy memory… They aren’t building all around Iowa for no reason.

I went to one recently and I didn’t buy much. The stores used to be such an oasis, things you couldn’t get anywhere else and now I have three within an easy drive. Would I even drive to a Cabelas now? Not if it was too far away when there are places that are right here.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

I’d rather keep Gander Mountain & local sport shops in business to give Cabela’s some price competition. To heck with Walmart.

2Fishy4U

ditto, Cabela’s is more expensive then Sportsmen’s Warehouse, Fleet Farm or WalMart for that matter. Heading back from a Dock Dog contest in Mayville, WI. this afternoon the Cabela’s exit north of Milwaukee had four Sheriff’s cars there today directing traffic. The store is hugh, but there is not even a four way stop sign at that light, much less stoplights.

For you Wisconsin folks guess where a portion of our tax dollars went today.

Frankly, I wish they would have chosen Iowa.

schlankki
    otsego, mn

here is the criteria list from cabelas.com. minimum of 28-30 acres (prefer 40-100), Excellent frontage, interstate access and visibility, 1 million people within a 30 mile radius. Is there 1 million people in the whole state of Iowa

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.