Dog Question – ACL

• John Luebker

Hello group. Just wanted to get some feedback. We have a black lab that basically tore her ACL.

Has anyone else have this happen to them and what did they do and what was the outcome. One Vet mentioned you can keep them on pain meds but her liver and kidneys would fail in a few years. Does anyone else have ideas or how they handled a similar situation?

Any comments are greatly appreciated

Thanks

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

My old gal jumped out of the truck into a ditch and did the same thing. it ended her hunting career.We put her on pain killers and kept her as quiet as we could for 4 weeks.She still walks with a limp but doesn’t appear to be in any discomfort. A young dog may make a more complete recovery. Good Luck

kiko

It is possible to keep a dog with this injury although long term there will be degenerative joint changes in the knee. The ACL stabilizes the knee and without it the bones will rub together damaging cartilage and causing swelling and pain. Fortunately labs have lots of stabilizing muscle around the joint and they also tolerate pain well.

Two suggestions. First call around and see if you can find another clinic that does the surgery for less. I do large animal work and am not up on small animal prices but it seems like there might be a clinic that does them for less. Some clinics bring in a surgeon to do these and they generally charge more. They can be done without a board certified surgeon although there are fewer clinics with someone with the interest to do this surgery on a large dog. Second if you decide not to do surgery keep the dogs weight and activity under control and use as few anti inflammatories as possible.

The claim the dog will die in a few years of liver or kidney failure is related to the use of pain killers. Use them as little as possible while still managing pain.

Good luck

CAFishead
    Southern California

In all fairness, my post listed below, was made based upon the orignal post from Johnl. [see Edited by johnl (10/02/06 11:51 AM)] above. His initial post was edited later in the day after several replys, including this one, were made.

$1500 to $1800 is too much to pay to take care of your pet!? Why did you become an owner in the first place? Did you think dogs are “free”?

Take care of your dog. It can’t do this repair on its own. You chose to have a pet now step up to the plate. Take a loan out if you have to. Stop buying the things you don’t need and pay the vet on lay away if you have to.

I spent $8,000 for one of my dogs to take care of heart surgery. I didn’t have the cash in hand but made sacrifices to get it done when it was needed.

Pets are not part of our disposable world. Don’t treat them that way.

Do what’s right and when this pet passes, don’t get another one.

john-o
    Hastings, MN

I had an English Pointer tear his ACL 4 years ago. My local vet told me that there was two ways to fix the problem. One was to use fishing line drilled into the bones to keep the knee together. I think that this fix was about $800. The fishing line fix would allow the dog to walk, but not run in a hunting situation. The second fix involved cutting the head of the knee joint and repositioning the head to allow the joint to stay together. This fix could only be done at the U of M, and cost about $2,100. This fix would allow the dog to continue to hunt. I chose the U of M fix and have been hunting over Luke for the last three years. Without either fix he was not able to run at all.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I know its too late now but I carry Pet Insurnace on my 8 year old springer. I pay about $32 a month and it covers EVERYTHING.. Cancer, infections, accidentaly injury you name it. I have made two claims in the past 6 months. Both bills were over $300. The deductible is $50. Simple one page claim form and you get a check in the mail about two weeks later..

pet insurnace

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have to agree with Cali. I’ve been there and done that with dogs.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

No offense, Cali, but I think you’re way out of line. If you had made a suggestion instead of telling someone you don’t know what to do about a very personal issue, I’d feel differently about your post.

John

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Before this one gets out of hand… Cali, Your point could have been made without attacking the person. Let’s all keep that in mind as we continue. Thank you.

birddog
    Mn.

If one can’t afford the upkeep on a pet they shouldn’t own one. You have 2 humane choices…have the surgery or put the dog down. Keeping the dog on pain meds the rest of it’s life isn’t the right thing to do.

BIRDDOG

CAFishead
    Southern California

No Offense taken. Please re-read my post, I did make a suggestion.
    No offense John23, but Personal Issue? It is no longer a Personal Issue when brought into this type of public forum.-Posted asking for “Any comments are greatly appreciated”. He asked for comments and I gave him mine and he is a nice enough guy to appreciate them before hearing them.
    I have had dogs for over 35 years. Never did I get a dog that I didn’t/couldn’t/wouldn’t take care of. (My Husky just passed last year at the age of 16. He recovered from cancer surgery three times until brain cancer couldn’t be operated on).
    I sacraficed many things in my life to have a dog, money was just one of them. (If I was dog-less I would have tried fishing the tournament trail).
    Long ago I realized dogs were like kids. But they don’t go to college or drive my truck.

I’m off my soapbox now.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Guys;
    Ease up here. Many, many people have pets that cannot afford major surgery on. When you look at all the pet owners in the world, not very many people can fork over $500, let alone $2,000 for a surgery on a dog.

Sometimes the kids, house, home bills take priority to keep things going day-to-day to just survive. If only the “rich” can own pets, then there sure won’t be too many animals around.

To some people, a pet is part of the family and is treated equal as such. To others, they are disposable. Not saying either or is right/wrong, just the way it is.

Please don’t ridicule a person who does not have the funds for a surgery for a pet. I’m willing to bet John is having a hard enough time, knowing/dealing with his options right now. I don’t think he probably needs to be insulted at this time.

Good luck John!!!!!

John Luebker

Thanks for the feedback guys. Things change throughout everyone’s life, when we got the dog jobs situations were different. Like I said I appreciate the feedback and will try to get some different quotes, but I do not think I am an irresponsible pet owner. I have giving our dog everything she needs and after adding up the vet bills I have already spent over $2500 in bills in the past 4 years. Right now things are tight and the budget is already stripped.

I guess I should have posed the questions a little better.
    Looking back I should have asked what is the quality of life for these dogs with or without the surgery? what are peoples experiences with dogs that have had it. Have they been in a lot of pain after words. Did anyone have a dog that injured there other leg. I have read studies that suggest that if a dog injured on leg the other one is at greater risk for the same injury.

If I choose to have it or not is really no one elses business.

john-o
    Hastings, MN

Another thing to consider about this injury is that my vet said that the number one cause is dogs slipping on the end gate of a pickup while jumping down. All of us that hunt with dogs out of a pickup should have the end gate covered in something that prevents slipping!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

If anyone reads this post with a new dog and a truck, I second the last post in that dogs should not be allowed to jump out of the truck, even though they can do it 99.9% of the time with ease. If I get another hunting dog, I’ll buy a mechanism that allows them to load and unload into the back of the pickup or SUV. And then I’ll teach them to use it and demand that they use it.

I have not seen the age of this dog. My experience has been to forgo surgery on my 10 year old lab who I retired from hunting prior to last season. She needs double knee surgery. ($5000). In the past six months, we keep her safe, comfortable, and she feels as much a part of the family as she has ever. She is a very happy dog. She does not hunt, and we only have her retrieve short throws if she’s very excited about doing so. She hangs out with our other lab who is 6, my kids give her a ton of attention, and she is widely admired by our friends and neighbors. But we cannot afford $5000.

CAFishead
    Southern California

Quote:

If I get another hunting dog, I’ll buy a mechanism that allows them to load and unload into the back of the pickup or SUV.

A good item is called DOGRAMP.com My Prys are near and over 100 pounds and getting up and down this strong, composite ramp is easy. It slids together to afford fit into the back cargo area of most SUV’s. (Most men SUV’s).
    For those whom asked the question:No, I am not associated, nor do I benefit financially from the sale of these…

http://dogramp.com/

nurselake845
    Picard Point, Mille Lacs Lake

We had a large Golden Retriever with an ACL injury that was repaired surgically in 2000. East Central Vets in Mora MN did the surgery then for $527 Our vet was not a board certified surgeon but had performed this repair on many dogs and although the recovery period was almost a year long Sandy was able to live and enjoy walks and runs for many years afterwards…The post op period required one of us sleeping on the floor with her for many nights….Her injury was from a simple slip on an icy road…good luck

birddog
    Mn.

Gary, I didn’t “ridicule” or “insult” anyone and if I came off that way…my apologies. If my intent is to ridicule or insult, you’ll truely know it. John, I also didn’t call you a irresponsible pet owner.

My opinion still stands…If one can’t afford a pet and they shouldn’t own one. I understand that what was once well within ones means may not be at the present time, things happen. My statement was made more for those looking to buy or own a dog in the future, DOGS ARE EXPENSIVE!!

BIRDDOG

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

Did anyone have a dog that injured there other leg. I have read studies that suggest that if a dog injured on leg the other one is at greater risk for the same injury.

I have a friend that had this happen to his lab, got one fixed and the other went in a month after removing the cast.
    I have also heard the same thing: That if one goes the other has a greater chance of happening.

Ron

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I don’t think anyone here pocketed away $2000 in a savings account when they bought their pup. $1800 isn’t pocket change. I don’t think John should be considered a bad pet owner because he cant afford the surgery. But I will say I have some household items that would be liquidated very quickly if needed. I would consider nurselake’s advice and seek some bids..

Good luck

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Unreal responses on here
    I know John personally and I am kind of offended by some of the things said on here. John is part of the IDA “family” and should damn well be treated that way
    John and his family have a lot on their plate right now with a new baby, home repairs, and everything else that could happen to a young couple.
    I grew up around livestock and farming. Dogs ARE disposable if it comes to choosing between paying bills and feeding the family vs. surgery for a dog. John, follow the few good thoughts and opinions you received about getting other bids on the surgery

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.