Cooking While On Your Outdoor Trips

• CAFishead
    Southern California

How is your cooking experiences while on your fishing, hunting or camping trips? Are they sandwiches and hot dishes that the wife makes, or do you go all out and have gormet cuisine? How many people are in your group? How many days are your trips?

We have anywhere from 12 to 20 for a week-long cabin stay in the Canadian wilderness. Breakfast is on your own, (unless it is storming, then we do a big sitdown). We do a standard shore lunch with fish, beans, cigars and breath mints.
    Dinner is our big event. Each person volunteers to be chef for making their best feast. Italian family-tradition pasta with meaty red sauce, Caribbean Jerk Chicken, Santa Maria style tri-tip, 2 inch thick seasoned pork chops, Ginger Venison, and a Homemade hot Italian sausage dish.

How about your group?

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Good Post. Welomce aboard to IDA All the way from Southern Cal.

We usually do it the same as you but our groups are typically 4-8 people. There is something about T-Bones over a fire in the middle of nowhere that is awfully tasty. Vension and Fish in the Depp Fryer is awesome too. Marinate the vension in worchestire sauce or other Marinate, season to taste and into the deep fryer for a couple minutes and Walaa, Good Stuff. Just do no over cook.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Got to love a “big breakfast” which consist of:

1lb bacon
    1lb ground sausage
    12 eggs
    4 spuds, cut up
    1 onion
    1 green pepper

scramble it all up, putting the eggs in last so they don’t over cook.

Half way through cooking the eggs in the mix, layer the top with Kraft cheese singles.

While cooking, add a little Cayenne pepper and tobasco sauce!!!!!

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

You guys in Cali get pretty fancy. We usually do a pretty hearty breakfast. Breakfast burritos with Chorizo, sausage gravy and biscuits, etc. We are on our own for lunches.
    We have done shrimp scampi, grilled marinated chicken, tri trip steaks, burger and home made potato salad etc.
    I’m hoping to make a great walleye with lemon cream sauce and wild rice on my next trip. Have to catch the walleye first!

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

We’ve gone several routes.

All out:
    biscuits and gravy, cheesy eggs, hash browns, 3-4 #s bacon

Half way:
    fried egg sandwich’s with bacon.

Easiest (and my favorite):
    2 power bars, 3-4 camel lights, and a healthy slug of bourbon in a cup of coffee. I like this route cause it gets our azzes out on the water. No prep or clean up.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Shore lunch, peanut oil, and pastaroni
    Geeez Whats wrong with u city boys???

chomps
    Sioux City IA

We do a big brunch and a big dinner and heck, with our cocktail hour we might have some good snack brought from home. We usually feed 8-12, I like roast beef, 7-8 pound sirloin tip, seasoned up real good, a couple cans of beef broth or your favorite soup, put in an alum. turkey roasting pan and seal tightly with foil, put on Weber with coals around the outer edge, cook for 2 hours, add 4-5 pounds baby red potatoes, a few pounds of peeled carots, whole mushroom, reseason veggies, and reseal foil, maybe add a few more hot coals and let that go for another 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Feeds a hungary crew real easy!

big_g
    Isle, MN

While in Canada,

Big breakfast= Eggs, Bacon or sausage or ham, potatoes, toast, coffee. Can’t go out hungry.

Lunch = Fresh walleye, deep fried over open flame. Spaghetti in a can, or potatoes fried, bread.

Dinner = T- Bones or pork chops over open grill. Mashed potatoes, or chedder or sour cream and chives, out of the box of course. When done, everything into the fire and wait for the sun to go down at 11:45 pm !!!

Feel free to sprinkle in some Canadian barley pop anywhere in between meals.

Repeat for 5 days.

big g

marendt
    Lake City, MN

Over a hot grill, veni backstrap medallions wrapped in bacon, huge portabellas soaked in olive oil and heavily salted with crazy Janes seasoning, cheesy garlic mashed potatos, followed up by a tall windsor water.

eyebuster
    Duluth

BWCA Trips

Pancakes, Bacon(the first couple days), Coffee(as strong as possible), ADVIL, and more ADVIL!

For Lunch
    More coffee, Walleye with shore lunch! apples or candy bars, ADVIL and Whiskey!

For supper it is usually walleyes again but we also bring in Brats, potatoes(instant) and some dehydrated foods!

The dehydrated stuff taste like when you are at home but after a days paddle and portages it taste like Olive Garden

We also bring stuff for PB and J sandwiches but hopefully we dont touch it!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

This thread sucks….

Where’s the SPAM?????, that’s all you need for meat, (excluding fish) Heck it’s about the only time I eat the stuff.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

SPAM is awsome! It has to be the most adaptable, easiest and most transportable meat there is and its always good with eggs.

I’ve done everything from “meat sandwiches” meat and cheese, no bread)to t-bones and baked taters, beef stew, porck shops n saurkraut in the dutch oven….No fancy “queezeen” when camping, but then again, I actually camp, no cabins.

shaley
    Milford IA

On our trips out west if you go away hungry its your own fault. On a Colorado trip your looking at 4-8 guys for 10-14 days. Great way to empty the frezzer of anything left from last season. During scouting week eggs and sausage are the norm once season opens its breakfast bars on the walk to your stand at 4 am. Lunches are whatever you have in your day pack, suppers are all out though fried spuds, loins or steaks over the campfire, If we get lucky and get an elk its fresh backstrap for supper.

On my Idaho hunts we may have up to 30 people and a designated camp cook. They raise a beef and a hog take care off all the food we just pay the cook $30 or so he takes care of everything all we have to do is hunt.

CAFishead
    Southern California

Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like no one goes hungry. One queston; when did alcohol become food?

Have a good winter.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

In the upper Midwest, alcohol is one of the major food groups

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Breakfasts are rare with us in Canada. It is usually coffee, and hit the water ’til shore lunch. But Ice fishing and deer hunting it is different! That is when I make the breakfast burritos! I make them at home, and bring them up in vacuum sealed bags that can be dropped in boiling water to be warmed up and served.
    Take 1 pound of Jimmy Dean’s Pork Sausage, or your favorite venison breakfast sausage. (I prefer my home made variety.)Brown until done.

Add 1/2 jar of Medium Pace Picante sauce. Reduce the water out of it…

Add 8-12 eggs, scrambled up.

Cook until the eggs are done. Then divide it up between two bags, and vacuum seal.

Drop in boiling water before serving. bring tortillas, and add shredded cheese!

I also premake omlettes and put them in Ziplocks. Add whatever you like in an ommlette. Put in 3 scrambled eggs, cheese, shrooms, ham and onions. drop the Ziplock in boiling water, and cook until done. You can do about 5 at a time in a pan of water! Everyone eats at the same time! You can write the person’s name on each bag if they like different ingredients.
    (Six kids makes you become creative! )

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Dang Chris! It’s 20min to 10p.m. and now I’m starvin’ for some breakfast food!

That sounds awesome!!!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Our week long cabin fishing trips, there is 6 of us. We each bring supper one night for everybody. You really never know what you are going to have and do not really care as long as there is enough. Each night someone else does the dishes.
    Lunch is a sandwich, you supply your own food.
    Breakfast consists of coffee or hot choc in the boat.

Ron

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.