HELP!! CARLISLE Tire problem

• wheel10
    madison, wi

I bought my boat about 5 months ago. It’s a 2000 mr pike 17 with an Eagle trailer. Within the last 500 miles on the trailer both tires have completely disinigrated. The tread came right off (like a semi retread) of both whipping around and tearing up my fender before wrapping around the axle. First off the tires are original but look like they are brand new still have really tread with seemingly good side walls. The previous owner only used the boat once or twice a year. They both showed no signs of any problems. I don’t really care about replacing the tire but the last fender and repaint cost me $500 and now I had this one this weekend and It gonna cost me $500 again. Anyone else had any problems like this. I want to go after the tire company but I know they are going to say the tires were old. Is there a shelf life on these things? Should I toss my never used Carlisle spare too. Do I have a case? HELP!!! Mike

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Trailer Tire Applications

Trailer tires are designed for use on trailer axle positions only, not for the loads applied to or the traction required by drive or steering axles.

An “LT” designation on a trailer tire size specifies load range only. It is not designed for use on light trucks.

Do not mount “ST” or “LT” trailer tires on passenger cars or light trucks.

Inflation

Always inflate trailer tires to the maximum inflation indicated on the sidewall.

Check inflation when the tires are cool and have not been exposed to the sun.

If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add 3 psi to the max inflation.

Underinflation is the number 1 cause of trailer tire failure. Load Carrying Capacity

All tires must be identical in size for the tires to properly manage the weight of the trailer.

The combined capacity of the tires must equal or exceed the GVW of the axle.

The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent.

If the actual weight is not available, use the trailer GVW. If a tire fails on a tandem axle trailer, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire was likely subjected to excessive loading.

If the tires are replaced with tires of larger diameter, the tongue height may need to be adjusted to maintain proper weight distribution.

Speed

All “ST” tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.

As heat builds up, the tire’s structure starts to disintegrate and weaken.

The load carrying capacity gradually decreases as the heat and stresses generated by higher speed increases.

Time

Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.

In about 3 years roughly one third of the tire’s strength is gone.

Three to five years is the projected life of a normal trailer tire.

It is suggested that trailer tires be replaced after 3 to 4 years of service regardless of tread depth or tire appearance.

Mileage

Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.

The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.

The mileage expectation of a trailer tire would be 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

Why Use An “ST” Tire

“ST” tires feature materials and construction to meet the higher load requirements and demands of trailering.

The polyester cords are bigger than they would be for a comparable “P” or “LT” tire.

The steel cords have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet the additional load requirements.

“ST” tire rubber compounds contain more chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking.

Storage

The ideal storage is in a cool, dark garage at maximum inflation.

Use tire covers to protect the tires from direct sunlight.

Use thin plywood sections between the tire and the pavement.

For long term storage: Put the trailer on blocks to take the weight off the tires, lower the air pressure and cover tires to protect from direct sunlight.

Maintenance

Clean the tires using mild soap and water.

Do not use tire-care products containing alcohol or petroleum distillates.

Inspect for any cuts, snags, bulges or punctures.

Check the inflation before towing and again before the return trip.

Three Keys to Avoiding Trouble

Make sure your rig is equipped with the proper tires.

Maintain the tires meticulously.

Replace trailer tires every three to five years, whether they look like they’re worn out or not. Trailer Tire Warranty

The Carlisle trailer tire warranty applies to the original purchaser for 3 years from the date of purchase or until the tread depth reaches 3/32″.

OE warranty goes into force at the time of the trailer purchase.

Some trailer manufactures will use cheap tires. I’m not familar with Carlise. But make sure your next set are radial.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have gone through 3 Carlisle tires on my trailer. Two of them blew for no reason and the 3rd one was my fault. They came on my Eagle trailer. I have a 2001 Mr. Pike 16. I will never buy that brand tire again hopefully. The reason I say hopefully is because I love my Eagle bunk trailer. I hope Eagle goes with a different brand tire for their trailers.
    Thanks, Bill

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I went through the 3 carlisle radial tires I had on my eagle bunk… they’re just not a good trailer tire. I wouldn’t allow one back under any trailer I was towing.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Good year marathon tires seem to be the top choice for trailer tires, atleast as far as I’ve seen.

wheel10
    madison, wi

did any of you guys try going after carlilse? thanks.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I didn’t. I just replaced them and got on down the road.

bigshoots30
    Sartell, MN

If you buy a trailer with Carlisle tires on it, you can expect huge problems!! Carlisle tires are “JUNK” and anyone who says different because they own them either has a horseshoe up their , or they don’t know what a good tire is! This is fact and if we took a vote here on IDA, it would be 90% against Carlisle, gauranteed!! JUNK! JUNK! JUNK! JUNK!!!!!
    Good year Marathons all the way – best trailer tire I have ever had on any trailer!!
    Did I mention that Carlisle tires are JUNK!!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Carlisle will rot away, in 2 years. Thats how they sell them, to sell more. If you would take a new tire, mounted on rim, lean it against the wall in the garage, in a year, the sidewalls will be craked everywhere. This from sitting in a garage. Seen this first hand.

big g

JimMcdonald
    IL

I had the very same problem. Only I caught it before it happened. I bet if you look on the sidewall of those tires you will find a D. O. T. tag. Which means that tire was a retread. I used to recap tires for Bandag, it’s common for them to fly apart. If you look at your tires wright where the tread meets the sidewall you will see a very small ring that goes around
    the tire . That ring and D O T tag will tell you it was a retread. My trailer was brand new with less than 2000 miles on it. Hope this helps you.

For safety everybody should check there tires and wheel hubs everytime you use your trailer . YOU NEVER KNOW.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Carlisle tires are ok on really light boats.. I mean your 14″ with a 9.9 hp. Even with that they wear out too quickly and are prone to blow out. The 1st few sets I had under my small boat would last about 3 years.. but the boat was light as a feather. I upgraded to a heavier load range of carlise for the trailer when my boat grew in weight a bit.. they havent blown out, but the center is bulged and the tread is non existant after abut 5000 miles.

Unfortunately I have the old 12″ tires and I really dont want to change hubs to go with a larger tire.. it gets expensive. There arent many options other than Carlisle locally. I will put another set on(both my trailers need them now), but I will be upgrading or buying a new trailer next year to get away from the tire issue.

JimMcdonald
    IL

Just to let you know my trailer for 1775 lund came with carlilse tires. Be
    careful, I could not be leave that they had put recaps on a new trailer.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

So I have a 2003 Eagle bunk trailer with Carlisle tires that carries an 1800 pro-v tiller. Not exactly sure on the miles but would guess somewhere around 3500-4000 miles. Tires appear to be in great shape. But, now you guys have got me wondering if I should replace them before they tear up my fenders. I looked for the D.O.T. symbol and couldn’t find any, so I’m assuming they are not a re-tread? What would you guys do? Replace or just do routine maintenance and inspections?

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

What would you guys do? Replace or just do routine maintenance and inspections?

To save you the pain that I as well as others have I would suggest replacing them seeing you have close to 4 seasons on them. Mine blew out in June of my 3rd season. As mentioned when they blow it really messes up the trailer fenders. Been there and done it. And let’s face it, beside being of good quality Eagle trailers are awesome looking trailers even when setting in the lot without the boat on. You don’t want to mess up the look.

I went with the Marathon tires and have not looked back. I make sure the pressure is at the max before I leave the drive way.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.