Rod Building ?

• Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’m making a spinning rod for someone that wants a maple handle with a crappie engraved or as an inlay.

Does anyone know where I could get something like this at a reasonable price?

Thank you in advance!

Sully

MJR
    Eau Claire, WI

you can check at wild river. marine, mn. 1-651-433-2217. we’ve gotten wood handles from them. i think its the right phone #.
    mark

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Mark, welcome to the site.

Wild River is great isn’t it? That is my main source, but I didn’t anything with a crappie design in the catalog. Do you think they would have any unpublished items? I should give them a call.

Sully

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

you want to look up rod building guild on the net ask for help there. they have helped me uot a few times

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

You could order a holographic crappie decal from bingham enterprises, mudhole.com or jann’s netcraft and epoxy over it… these should all carry the crappie sticker. Let me know if you need more info… Chuckles

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

You could order a holographic crappie decal from bingham enterprises, mudhole.com or jann’s netcraft and epoxy over it… these should all carry the crappie sticker. Let me know if you need more info… Chuckles

This is an excellent idea and is exactly what I will do. I have used these stickers in the past on the blank, but didn’t think of putting it on the handle.

I would think I would want to use a high build expoxy. I’m in the process of switching brands. The brand I use now I don’t like, but I’m trying to use it up.

I’m switching to Flex Coat, which I hear nothing but good about.

I confess that I put this question on that other website mentioned, but didn’t like the solutions so I thought I would try IDA.

You sure would think I would know this is the one stop shop.

Thanks Chuckles.

Sully

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Thats very funny Jason – these two sights are my mainstays… I do a fair amount of work with flexcoat but find the light better to work with – it is much easier to release bubbles from the finish in my humble opinion – I would rather do two lighter coats of the light stuff than one of the high build with bubbles trapped that can’t be easily released… but try it and see – we all differ a bit in our techniques. Let us know how it turns out too! Chuckles

catmando
    wis

Iwas at a art fair at marine on the stcroix. their was a guy. steve peck cutom rod builder. well his wood handle fishing rods looked great. almost to nice two fish with.[651] 439 8381.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.