plainer board ?????’s

• riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

Bought a new plainer board to day. Going to use it with super line. For trolling walleyes. How far out to the side would you run them? How much line do you put between the plainer board and the lure?
    In the instructions it says to rig it with the snaps and reel it in and unhook it each fish.
    Is there a better way?

scottsteil
    Central MN

You will need to wrap your superline around the clips or they will slip eventually. How much line to the crank? that depends on how deep you want your lure to dive. Pick up the latest copy of the Precision Trolling book, it will be the best money you could spend and you will learn a lot about trolling

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

As usual Scott is right on. One more piece of advice, you may want to look at the snapping clips for the front of the board. They’re a bit pricey at about $15 each, but it will save you from having to double wrap, and you’ll feel much better about having your boards out in rough water.

I’ve never had a board come off when I’ve had the snapper clips on the front. They’re black and will snap down or up depending on your preference.

Like Scott said, get the Precision Trolling Book, (make sure you get the 8th edition). It will quickly become the most valuable tool in your trolling arsenal. If you got the Off-Shore boards, I can give you instructions on how to make your own tattle tale flags.

Good Luck

scottsteil
    Central MN

One thing about the snap clips, I use them on all my boards, but you need to clip them forward not backward if you want them to hold with superlines. Also, you still may want to double wrap the back clip unless you using the Red clip with the little nipple in it.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

If he has the Church boards; can you tighten that screw all the way down and prevent slip with superline?

I have always used Off-Shore, but just curious.

Sully

scottsteil
    Central MN

I only use Off Shore, I am not familiar with the Church boards.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Sully, I run Church Boards, I tighten the screw some and double wrap the front and never had an issue off a board coming off, even in some big rollers on Mille Lacs.

riverrunt75, The Trolling Bible not only gives you the depths of the lures, but also educates you on the trolling concept in the front of the book.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

There is an adjustment screw on the snap clips to tighten them up too.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Is anyone out there running the Church Walleye Boards with the flags.
    They tell you to remove the rear fin when you add the flag
    and so I did.
    I can’t get mine to stop nose diving even with the weight adjusted all the way back.
    I’m using a 9′ Cabela’s Planer board rod.
    Anybody else having this problem or have a possible
    solution.

Thanks,

dandorn

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Dandorn I have the same boards and Rod. I could not get my flags to work properly, so I went back to the regular boards. I’m guessing I need a stronger spring to hold the flag down. I have not clipped the rear fin off mine yet. I wanted to change springs first before removing the fin. So I’m not sure????? Now I am way hesistant on clipping the rear fin.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

I ran church boards for a while and couldnt get flags to work so I went to offshore and gave the churches away!

4blade

Lip Ripper does that 9′ cabelas planer board rod work well for pulling cranks also. If not what would you recommend

walleye4
    On the Water

I run them rods without boards also and the work pretty good!

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

Thanks my buddy and I share a copy of precision trolling. I have diawa 8′ trolling rods and reels with counters. The board I bought is an Off Shore. Thanks for all the advise.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.