Alfonso to die.

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Bye-Bye, sentenced to die for killing Dru Sjodin.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

BIGURN
    WYKOFF MN

10 TO 30 YEARS OF HIM IN JAIL “TALKIN TO BUBBA”
    WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER DEAL.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

He will still get that with all the appeals.
    Any bets that he “Get’s it” before his appeal is done? Like Dahmer?
    (I am not saying I hope it happens, just wondering if anyone thinks it will…)

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

To bad the sentence is not carried out the way I have heard it is done in China, After sentencing, walk out back where you are shot in the head then the family receives a bill for the cost of the bullet!
    Not a fan of that country but that is efficient and effective.

nascarfan
    stillwater,minnesota

you take a life and found guilty you lose your life

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

Yea, he will definately GET IT . As far as dieing in prison I am guessing he might. There are alot of scumbags like him in there already who have no value for human life.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Blanket party??

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’m thrilled the jury made that tough decision. Very hard for a person to do. Likely something they will think about for the rest of their lives. It’s a decision best left up to a judge in my opinion. The jury did it’s job and found him guilty. The judge should be the one to dish out the punishment.

-J.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

And if Alf hadn’t crossed state lines and and he had stayed in MN to commit his filth he would have got a life sentence. Some times federal courts are useful.

dd

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Here comes the bleeding heart…

I’m for a death penatly. (although I wish we weren’t human and subject to mistakes)

However, now there will be two familys screwed up. My bleeding heart goes out to the “victims” in both families.

Besox

Who’s the victim in his family? He took his “screwed up” a&^ and made a decision to take an innocent girls life. He was not a “VICTIM” in any sense of the word. Logic like that is why his sexually insane a%^ was out in the public in the first place!!!!!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I think he ment Alphonso’s family are victims too.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I agree, he victimized his own family by putting himself into that situation. He killed her to cover his tracks. He knew what he was doing. He will pay the ultimate price for what he did.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Death is the easy way out.

Let him rot in prison. Live with that the rest of his life.

It costs more to execute someone than keep them in prison for life.

Besox

How do you figure? This scum bag might live another 30 years watching TV and eating on the tax payers dime. End it today and send the correct message. Do onto others as you would have done onto you!
    By the way I understood what he meant by vicitms I just feel that word is reserved for the actual victims family!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

The costs comes into play with all the appeals that he will file throughout his life. The cost of prision is only half the costs.

I feel for both parties involved, his family, as well as Dru Sodin’s. Hopefully they can all find peace.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

So you think 30 years in prison is cheaper than 15 years of appeals?

I’m basing this strictly on what’s less expensive, not what’s morally right.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

With us paying for lawyers at $500 per hour (both lawyers), court fees, judges time, filing fees and all the other crap that goes along with it. YES

And don’t fool yourself, we will problably never see him put to death.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It might have been the wrong word…agreed.

My heart would go out to you too if that was your son, father or loved one that did something like Alfonso did. Through no fault of there own they are losing someone…even if a jury of 12 feels the death penalty is the way to go.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

They said last night on the news that his defense bills are already at $1mil, and they have not even added up the prosecution yet.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Getting what he deserves in my opinion..save the jail and prison space for those that need it and deserve to have a second chance…

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I am probably not amongst the common status quo here when I say this………but I’ll say it anyways……

I don’t think he should be put to death. My honest opinion is that this man has serious mental issues, to the point that cannot be corrected.

However, I also do not feel that removing him from society, via death penalty is the answer. I have yet to see in any country where the death penalty deters crime or corrects mentally ill people. My belief, is that this man is mentally ill.

My opinion:

Eliminate the death penalty and do one of two things:

frontal lombotomy and casturation. Proven to ensure a calming effect of the patient.

or

Throw them on a penal island and let them fend for themselves.

Besox

That’s my point. This wasn’t his first offense. He deserves no appeals, no more rights. He deserves to have his fate finalized just as he finalized the young girls life. To many years of liberal law making and feeling sorry for everyones hard life has brought us here. Everyone got a reason for their behavior issues. Mean Dad, Mom was drunk, whatever. At some point we all need to look in the mirror and take responsiblity for our actions. Sorry to vent, but I really hate the bleeding heart attitude.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Boy Gary,

The bleeding hearts would have you by your short hairs for “cruel and unussual” punishment.

Makes sense though

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

I have yet to see in any country where the death penalty deters crime or corrects mentally ill people.

You are correct. The death penalty is not a deterrant. It is simply a way for the state to show a difference in the severity of the crime. It hasn’t dropped violent crime rates at all.
    Having said that, there are crimes so awful that society needs to say, lets get rid of this person once and for all. The frustration is that appeals can take this sentance years to be carried out. I’m am pro death penalty, but only in the most horrible of crimes. Serial killers, and that guy in Denver who dragged that poor woman behind his truck for 3 miles, killing her.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

No bleeding heart on my end…….not at all!

I just don’t agree with the death penalty.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Didn’t mean to say you. I meant the bleeding hearts would not like you for doing this

Sorry should have made that a little clearer.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Quote:

Everyone got a reason for their behavior issues. Mean Dad, Mom was drunk, whatever. At some point we all need to look in the mirror and take responsiblity for our actions.

I think Gary’s point was that if Alfonso was mentally ill, which he is, in Gary’s opinion, how can he take a look in the mirror? If you’re that unstable, you can’t right the ship by self examination.
    Is this the right sentence? I’m not sure. He’s obviously guilty of the crime. Is he sane enough to have been able to stop the impulse that drove him to it? According to the court, he is. Is the fact that he has been sentenced to death going to deter someone with the same impulses from committing a similar crime? Nope.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.