Alaska (pix)… I survived!!!!

• rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Well.. I dont know if you were hoping the bears would get me or what….. but I survived… the blood on the Alaskan Brown Bear.. isnt MINE… lol!!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Did I see any MORE bears you ask? *sheese*…. it was the year of the bear…. did I get close? well.. that above shot WASNT “cropped”… but the trick with bears is you dont get close to them… you let them get close to you…. and you sure dont run from them if they DO get close…

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I didnt pay to go to any high priced bear veiwing spots… you find salmon.. you find bears… I saw a lot of bears on the river flowing out of chilkat lake near Haines… I saw them in Denali (no salmon there though.. they were eating berries.. and those bears a true grizzlies)… I saw them on the kenai (russian river is bear central!)… in fact the russian river is a strange place where your just as likely to see fisherman that look like hunters as they were packing “heat”… earlier this year a fisherman got slapped around by a brown bear… I was told he wasnt “mauled”… cuz he didnt get hurt.. but what a strange idea… what.. did the bear walk up.. grab him by the lapels and slap his face back and forth? anyway.. after that they closed the russian to night fishing… this fool was fishing after dark on the russian river!! also in the russian river camp site a bear flattened a tent and bit a camper.. (again he wasnt mauled.. just bitten!! )… then they out lawed tent camping….

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

that above bear was a denali grizzly (blond phase)… this is one too….

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

oh yeah.. there are black bears up there too… this shot isnt very good… but he has a big fat sockeye salmon in his mouth… I thought that was cool… it was getting dark.. and it was raining when I took this shot…. (when wasnt it raining? it rained 16 straight days!! worst flooding in 20 years while I was there)

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

people have mentioned this bear doesnt look happy…. heck no he aint happy…. he was peacefully feeding on some barnacles at low tide… and up we come in this boat and get right in his face…. he was pretty POd… you could hear him growling and popping his teeth….

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Sweet pic’s AGAIN!!!! Love the last one with the bear and the sock eye

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

ok.. enough bear shots for now…. just thought Id show you I seen em and got close to em and lived to tell the tale…. one thing I thought Id see LOTS of in Alaska was moose…. well… thats what I get for thinking…
    they were NOT easy to find… usually Id find them in Anchorage… they dont get hunted there and they are used to people so they are just wondering around…. this cow was totally oblivious to me.. and about 20 other tourists… she was feeding in a marsh near the airport…

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

Thanks RiverEyes – Excellent as usual.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

everyone knows there is lots of eagles in Alaska… thats true….. but heck… I think there are just as many around here… the scenery up there is just better!

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

this eagle was haning out in a rainforest near Juneau….. and yes.. it was raining at the time… he looks wet dont he? I know I was!!

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Eyes,thanks for making my day.We just love to look at your pics.You need to publish a book with all these great wildlfie pics.You ever think of doing that? I know I would buy a copy.And I’m sure most everyone on this site would also.
    The color in that salmon is awesome.
    Ryan Hale

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Well.. Alaska is full of great scenery… one of the best tours I took was the an 8 hour boat trip to the tracy arm…. there is a glacier back there…. and the trip is quite beautiful too… even though it was raining… until we got to the glacier… the cold coming from that giant pileof ice kind of buzz kills the rain….. that glacial ice is beautiful blue… and I like blue.. so Im going to ram a few of those shots down your throats…

corey_waller
    hastings mn

AWESOME!!! KEEP EM COMMING

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

our companion boat for the trip was “wild alaska”…. on a long trip involving ice bergs they dont really like to travel alone… here is a shot of wild alaska forging through the ice flow heading towards the tracy arm glacier.. the glacier is over a mile away at this point and “wild alaska” is a 40′ boat.. to give you some idea of scale….

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

Here wild alaska is trying to get close to some hanging ice to get an up close and personal view of “calving” where ice breaks off and comes down… they are still 1/4 mile out though for safety…. thats a LOT of ice haning there… we did see and hear some minor calving… it made noise like thunder… huge cracks and then a giant roar…. and these were just tiny ones we saw…. it was amazing…

big_g
    Isle, MN

WOW, you should be in the PostCard making business !!! Awesome pictures, and I envy you. Someday, I want to get to Alaska.

big g

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

heres a glacial iceberg…. and yes.. they really were THIS blue!…

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Ken, Those are awesome! Sounds like you had a great time despite a little rain.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

well…. I didnt go fishing while I was there… I wanted to see EVERYTHING.. and really the fishing wasnt great while we were there…. though there were SOME places where it was in MY opinion.. I stopped at Kens Bait and Tackle near the Kenai river and asked the owner how it was.. he was really down on it… said it took near the whole 5 hours to catch your limit of 8 cohos… and that you had to sort through 80-90 4-8 pound pink salmon to do it!!… wow.. thats terrible I said….
    these are sockeyes and cohos waiting below a falls on the russian river….

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

WOW, now those are cool pics.

Man a trip of a lifetime, no doubt.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I saw the setting sun reflecting off the water and rippled sand of this tidal flat…

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

Wow, Awesome pictures

Josh

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

this is a volcano near Homer alaska…. on the turnagin arm…

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Those pics are unbeivable.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

oh… look its a Ptarmagin!… kinda blurry cuz he was moving.. and….. you guessed it.. its raining too… lol

eyebuster
    Duluth

WOW what a trip it must have been!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Those are some great pictures!

Bob Bowman
    MN

As always, your pictures are nothing short of AMAZING Thanks for sharing, it looks like it was a great trip

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.