Wisconsin Deer Hunters

• Anonymous

Well the big season starts tomorrow and for all those heading out please be carefull out there. Where a safety strap if your hunting from a stand and please be sure of your target and whats beyond before you squeeze off that shot. Steve

Anonymous

So far so good! I just need to get something to shoot AT besides puppy dogs (bambi’s) and baldies!! I’ve got a brute pegged but I haven’t figured out how to lure him back out of that swamp!

Anonymous

Yep me to. Actually I got a buck that has been getting the best of me three different times now. I know where he is bedding down at or at least the route to and from it. I’ve just got to reset a stand early this afternoon while he is sleeping and hope he maintains his route. Not a monster, but he is sure sneaky. Maybe a photo if all goes as I plan later today. Well it’s 6:15 and time to get in the tree. See ya

Anonymous

Well I’m just 5 minutes over the border in Michigan and got this dandy opening day 9 pt. I’ll try for an attachment but for some reason I have poor luck here on FTL. No problems over on FTR.

Anonymous

WAY TO GO!!! Any story type details to give us?

Anonymous

I take a few bowhunters out each year and it gives me a chance to do quite a bit of scouting. There was a good crop of acorns on the ridges this year and I set up a few stands on the ridges or saddles. We can still bait 2 gallons a day here and most guys highly exceed that, but I found long ago that most mature bucks avoid these stand sites during daylight. I try to find travel routes from the bedding areas and thickets to the oaks. The rut was in full swing on Nov. 15th when I decided to hang my stand on the edge of a thick brushy draw connecting the oak ridges with a large cedar swamp. I passed up a spike and a nice 6pt early, then the 9 pt came by a few minutes after two bigger does passed by. I was lucky to find a little opening in the thick brush and put a 165 gr .308 slug through his shoulders at about 70 yds. He weighed 171# field dressed and had a 16 3/4″ inside spread. Actually he is my best firearm buck. I bowhunt a lot more and have harvested some nice bucks with the bow. I ate some tenderloins yesterday and they were superb! Good Hunting

Anonymous

Great story Tom. Mine wasn’t nearly as big, but you got to love the thrill of the hunt. This one I shot was the third buck I saw opening morning. It was a small 8 pointer, but a “legal” buck according to camp rules. I saw 4 more bucks that day and 3 on Sunday. All of ours were rutting hard and chasing does.

Anonymous

I wish I had a photo. Those critters are still hiding. I saw two tails today and that was it. Maybe there will be more hunters out and about tomorrow to get them moving. Great stories and photo’s guys. I’ve only seen 1 buck so far and didn’t have a good shot so I let him walk twice now. I guess that’s kinda like catch and release.LOL Steve

Anonymous

Thanks Mike! I wish I had you around to take some better pictures Steve. Here is a close up of the rack, we are still recovering from from winterkills a few years ago and the antler mass is still missing from 3 1/2 yr olds like mine in this area

Anonymous

Mike, what area do you hunt in? That sounds like some great action!

Anonymous

We’ve got a largechunk of private land just south of Emily, Mn that 10 of us hunt. In 16 years of hunting we have never shot a doe. We normally see lots of deer and many bucks. This year we had 7 bucks down the first weekend including 4 8-pointers. Last year we had 9 bucks the first weekend.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.