Fishing this weekend

• Anonymous

I will be fishing this weekend in a lake that I have done well on crappies and sunnies in the spring and summer but never fished it with the water this cold. I am looking for any pointers on what is recommended to find them with the water this cold? I was thinking fo using ice jigs with wax worms or crappie minnows in deep water. Any advice? Thanks

Anonymous

Look for the Crappies to be in the exact same areas you would find them if you were drilling your first hole through the ice! Look for the deep holes and troughs. Also look for them suspending anywhere from top to bottom. Use ice fishing size tackle like a 1/32 – 1/8 oz flu-flu..smaller the better. Waxies and small crappie minnows.

Good luck and let us know how ya do.

J.

Anonymous

I would agree 100%. In fact i usually try to get out on a couple lakes just before they ice up to find them for that early ice period. The only thing I would add is if you don’t see them on your electronis, don’t bother fishing.

Anonymous

Well we got out. On Saturday we fished for panfish all day. Water temp was about 38-39. We did try the places we ice fish and while we were seeing fish on the electronics they were very finicky we did get a few to bite on ice jigs with wax worms. Sunday we went to Pine lake near Finlayson and we fished for about 3 hours in the morning jigging for walleye. We caught 5 fish 14,16,17,17,and a 21″. All were on a secondary break in 18-22′. Water temp here was about 43. Kept a couple for dinner. Depending on the weather I may try to get out next weekend again and see if we cant get the pan fish to bite a little better. Thanks for the tips.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.