Garage door opener questions

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Hey Yall. I know some silly stuff has been asked in the past and Bk always gets good answers, so here is my question.

Moving into a new house in Oct. It has 3 garage doors. I want a quiet system with one remote for all three doors.

What should I know about garage doors and any recommendations on brands would be awesome.

Thanks!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Chamberlin.
    That’s all I got to say about that.

Other than Craftsman sucks (IMHO)……noisy, vibrates, squeaks…..

Chamberlin man, Chamberlin! We put one on dad’s garage and it is wisper quiet, smooth, soft!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Iv’e always had chain drives, then had a screw type. Screw type was ALOT quieter. Chain slaps the track on chain driven. All were Chamberlain, never had a problem.

big g

Chamberlain

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

I just installed a screw drive which came with 2 remotes. Each remote had up to 3 buttons on it to operate multiple units. Purchased at Home Depot. Approx $200.00 for my system.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I’m not sure of the name, but one of my customer’s has a belt drive and its quiet. Not sure on the longevity of the belt, but being its cogged that should help.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Chamberlin.
    That’s all I got to say about that.

Other than Craftsman sucks (IMHO)……noisy, vibrates, squeaks…..

Chamberlin man, Chamberlin! We put one on dad’s garage and it is wisper quiet, smooth, soft!

Hmmmmm wanna veture a guess who makes the Craftsman models for them?

Chamberlan I bought a universal garage door opener at sears, sears brand because it works with my chamberlain….

Anyways form my experince, a properly setup door should be pretty quiet. My door habd a couple panels replaced earlier in spring, and after the raplacement the door was much, much quieter, I can’t explain exactly why, but it quieter.

emover
    Malcom, IA

I’ve had experience with several, Craftsman, Genie, Chamberlin, screw and chain driven. I agree on the door setup being a key. A door that is correctly balanced and on a good spring system, will be far quiter, and give longer life to whatever opener you have. Good Luck with your new system

dave

gary_wellman
    South Metro

OK!
    Anyone then know how to “balance” a garage door?

When I open/close mine, it sounds like the house it going to crumble….grinds, growls, squeaks, vibrates……all at the motor……..

The door seems to be in alignment and all wheels spin nice and free. I have the spings on top.

Any suggestions???

It is a Craftsman chain drive.

glb
    Twin Cities

To balance a door pull the rope to disconnect the opener from the door. Raise and lower the door by hand to see if the springs are adjusted properly. The door should not be too heavy to lift, or so light that it goes up by itself. If you have Torsion Springs (where the rod goes through the spring) and have never worked with them, hire a pro or get training.

While you have it disconnected you should tighten all nuts, bolts, and screws (they do work loose) and lubricate everything. Move the door up and down listening for noises. Lubricate everything including hinges, rollers, and the spring system. Don’t get messy, just enough to do the job. I even lubricate the springs so they don’t make noise as they wind and unwind. Hope this helps.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Koot’s, I’ve been far to busy to answer your question…until now.

I’ve had this opener for 25+ years. Works in freezing rain, snow…and always carries the load.

Sometimes it’s very noisy…but most of the time it purrs like a kitten.

There is maintanians on all openers…I recommend proactive…or preventitive mantiance… to ensure keeping the noise level down and smooth sailing.

I’m not sure what all the buttons are for…I just know that at least once a month…it really don’t matter which button I push there’s sometype of problem….but again, with the above TCL it goes as fast as it comes. Besides, it’s normally something I did or didn’t do.

I’m not sure there is one opener that fits all and is “the perfect opener”…I will be the first to say that I’ve had to open the door myself a number of times.

But all in all, I would get the same model as I did 25 years ago…and wouldn’t trade it for ‘nutten.

The name of my garage door opener???

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Favorite Wife!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Saved to my funny pictures folder….thanks….

gary_wellman
    South Metro

BK;
    That was beautiful!!!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thanks Gary, excuse me now…I have something on the end of my nose…

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

I have 3 double doors…all have a Genie screw drive. I’d buy another if I ever have to. All are the “Accelerator” model too…the door goes up extremely fast so you don’t have to wait as you are driving up. I like this feature. All these doors are insulated too. That alone cuts down the noise. I’ve actaully had more than one guy mention how quiet the doors are when opening and closing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.