Best panfish lakes

• Anonymous

This seems to be the question of the day on the fishtheriver forum. The thing is, I’ve always been directed toward the lakes for the best possibilities. And would enjoy another good crappie and sunny meal. Been awhile.

So, what’s the best panfish lake around? Heck, I’ll drive to Arkansas if anyone can recommend a good place to fish! As long as it isn’t in some farmer’s pond where I may get shot.

I recently had a friend write me to say that they had increased the size of one of their backyard ponds last year and stocked a few bluegills in it. Figured that they would never survive, but lo and behold, her son pulled an 11″ bluegill out this year! What a treat!

Anyone have any suggestions? I need some fish!

Mike Little

Anonymous

Well, if you don’t want to drive all the way to Arkansas, I would suggest checking into what I call “The Iowa Fishing Welfare Program.” It is a handy-dandy method of using license money to stock areas where the public is not allowed access.

In all seriousness, the farm ponds in Southern Iowa are the only place I’ve ever caught genuine pan-sized bluegills, but the owner is now passed on. To find someone else who will let you fish their pond, you have to be really into rejection. I personally find the indignant way they send you packing to be a key element in the overall quality of the experience. If you’re really lucky, you get to hear stories about how someone left beer cans all over the place, the assumption being that you are as big a scumbag as anyone else who asks.

If I were serious about driving for panfish, I would head for Tennessee. There’s more water there than could ever be fished out. Some of my parent’s friends just moved down there and they love it. The best part: According to them, you don’t even have to buy a license unless your’e keeping fish, and even then, you just pay for the fish you keep. I would double check that before I headed out without a license, but if it’s true, then it’s a deal that can’t hardly be beat.

Anonymous

Big Pine Lake in Perham-fall produces numbers of 15″ 2lb fish in deep water. My buddy caught 2 already last weekend walleye fishing.

Vermilion-not worth the trip to chase panfish, but if you find them-huge crappie, 1 lb sunfish and 12-14″ perch.

Also-my grandparents are on 3rd Crow Wing Lake in park Rapids/Nevis. Walleye fishing is often a bust so we chase anything biting. We can frequently find 3/4 sunnies and 1lb crappie. It is a 700 acre lake that is all prime panfish water w/ a good population of walleyes and northern to keep overpopulation/stunting from happening.

Anonymous

Shoot Mike…………if I’d a known you was hankerin’ I’d a just kept the mess I caught yesterday and given ya the bag full! I was out again today but the bite was tougher today. Anyway……………just wished I’da know’d!

Anonymous

Hey Kid,
    Gotta friend who moved to Iowa a few years ago,{why, I don’t know}. Anyway, he told me they had so many lakes up there in Minnesota where he lived that the best way to pick one for a day of fishing was to hang a county map on a wall and throw a dart at it. Where ever the dart stuck, that’s the lake they went to. Is that really the way you guys decide? LOL
    p.s. Gianni, I gave up on aquarium fishing 30 years ago when I found out I had to kiss some butt just to catch fish that I helped pay for the raising and stocking of.

Anonymous

That sounds like a GREAT IDEA! Honestly, gills aren’t hard to find up here…………it’s just finding the quality fish. Many of our waters consist of “weeding out” the runts to get to the good ones.

Gianni, how’d you like to start your own pond? I know just the place with plenty of fish to spare that could use some thinning out! Then you’d only have to ask the wife for permission!

Anonymous

Even though I feel blessed to have the whole Miss. River to fish, it would be a hoot to have so many lakes within a few hours drive to choose from. Still, they say we shouldn’t envy what others might have and be happy with what we do have.

Anonymous

Hey, Kid,

I’m looking for a place to actually CATCH the fish. They’re just plain fun. So share, man. Tell us where we can find them. I promise not to tell. Well, okay, so it’s a public forum. But hey, who knows? Maybe people will put on their blindfolds and only read down so far.

By the way, Secret Lake (Hawger’s spot) is still the best pickin’s I’ve ever had. And no, I can’t tell where it is. He’s the only one with a key. Plus, the only time I’ve been there I had to put on a blindfold.

Mike

Anonymous

If you want a great day of fishing with the kids, or you just want to get out and catch lots of fish, Look at Clear Lake buy Waseca Minn! It has been stocked and monitered by the Waseca sports club and the DNR . Not alot of big pan fish but they are nearing keeper size, with a few that you can bring home for a meal ! Bass have been catch and release for severl years, I have caught a few over 4 1/2 lbs ! I know there are Northren over 10 lbs there because I have released 2 over 12 lb. There are a few walley taken, but they run a little small for me. So look it up! I don’t think you will be disappointed !!!!

Richard (Smitty)

Keep a tight line !!!

Anonymous

Mike, I’m no expert on any of the waters I frequent but I can share some detail on the places I’ve been and do well frequently. I’ve said a plenty about Lake Mallelieu in Hudson, WI in the last couple of days………….the fish are EASY to find and are plentiful in numerous places. Around the WI area, I’m only decently versed with Bass Lake and Lake Wapogassett. I’ve been to many others and have a good idea on getting the gills I’d desire but I’m no means a good source of consistant or current info on them. I’m trying to work on that so I can expand on useful WI info for the EFN sites. If you have any WI interests, I have enough family spread around that I may be able to get you some useful info that way too so always feel free to shoot me a line or pm or something and I’ll share with you!

Herb, I agree that it’s good to be thankful for the things you have but it’s not wrong or sinful to strive for something better either. Maybe one day you’ll find yourself in an opportunity to share in “our problems”. Just keep that door unlocked!

Anonymous

Hi Mike, are you just talking gills, to me panfish are also crappies,bullheads and perch. Boy this is a tough one but brngs back good memories of fishing with my dad around Duluth. Freidenburg Lake is the place for big gills. I haven’t been there in ages.
    I’m not sure of the spelling though but it’s right next to Island Lake and you used to be able to access it through Island Lake Beach resort. Pelican lake has lots of big gills and the largest one I’ve ever seen caught came out of that lake.It hit a Mepps Muskie killer bucktail. Bullheads I remember a small lake called Boulder Lake north of Island very good for walleye’s when the bullheads weren’t biting.Could’t hardly keep them off. Perch fishing I would say Winnnie is my favorite, Crappies Red Lake but I know a little thirty acre lake thats excellent except you have to carry a boat in. That’s why it’s so good I’m sure. Try Cornell Lake next time your around this way for gills.There are numerous lakes around in the Chippewa Forest that are good. So many lakes so little time.If you need some more suggestions just ask. LOL Steve

Anonymous

Sounds great, Steve. I keep hoping for a turnaround here in the suburban Twin Cities, but the fishing’s been a bit spotty so far this year. No size at all and I continue to see a look of desperation on the faces of many of the folks who fish the local lakes. Maybe it’s the pressure on the lakes of late, or perhaps it’s just the slow year and strange conditions. I don’t know, but haven’t hear of much in the way of size.

Now that the fall season is coming, maybe things will turn around. I’m looking forward to seeing a few more fish in the pan and I’m definitely looking forward to feeling a few on the hook that I can send back swimming.

Mike

flipenrip
    Austin, Mn.

Star lake in ottertail county has some of the best bluegill/ crappie fishing i`ve experienced in years. My kids were not having to much fun bassfishing and the walleyes had not started going yet so I found some gills and the action didn`t stop. I really didn`t get to fish for 2 hours. What a blast.

Anonymous

Hey Mike make sure you read Don Hansons report that he posted a couple of days ago about Menomin. Maybe this weekend I’ll get out there. Don and myself are planing on a little fishing and a photo shoot. Let me know when your headed this way.Catch you later. Steve

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.