People read these boards!

• JohnGrosvenor
    Iowa

I had a guy come into the bate shop I work at after traveling several hours. He had read one post of mine that said walleyes were biting in Okoboji. (my only post mind you) Guys… I’ve joined the Junkies. Started my own Guied service this year and work in a bate shop.
    A far cry from the the suite and tie hard core business world I’ve been used to. (take that back…never got used to.)
    Lets start from the beginning.
    When I was a kid my dad was a school teacher in Iowa. During the summers our family road tripped to Canada where dad was a fishing guide. My first trip I was three years old in 1966. Instantly hooked.
    SKIP AHEAD TO 1987.
    John Grosvenor is now a television news reporter anchor on the Sioux City television station he’d grown-up watching.
    Throughout the years he’s been an amusement park marketing manager, political reporter/analist, to owning his own concert promoting company. Done it and seen it all. But it all comes back to that year when he was three-years-old holding that first steel rod with an open face reel and a Canadian walleye on the other end.
    This year he’s thrown it all away to chase a dream.
    He entered his second fishing tournament placing 6th in the “Okoboji Walleye Classic.” (No one ever told me walleye inhabited Iowa waters. )
    Started working at a bateshop, jumped through the hoops and have started a “full service” guide business complete with a free 8″X 10″ photo of your catch afterwords.
    I forgot to mention his wife manages a resort on West Lake Okoboji. (pinch me)
    There it is.
    Confessions of a Walleye Junkie.

Rock On!!!!!!!!!
    John Grosvenor
    BTW: Fishing’s been great here in Okoboji.

Anonymous

JG:

Good to see you post. I enjoyed your “Confessions of a Walleye Addict”.

Keep us informed on what’s going on up there in Okoboji……..with guiding and working at Oh Shucks you have the pulse on the fishing up there. Keep spreading the word about FTL…….we need more people posting on the great fishing in the Okoboji area.

Hopefully people will use you as a resource and Ask questions.

Take care and good luck.

P.S. I hope that new addition to your family is doing good.

Your Friend
    Eric Naig

Anonymous

Hey John,
    I enjoyed you fishing circle story. Maybe there is or will be a 3 year old grandson or daughter in your future you can show the ropes to, and introduce to Canada, and start a fishing circle for them. My daughter was always ready to jump into a boat with me. Thanks Jack.

JohnGrosvenor
    Iowa

Thanx Eric.
    Congrats…I see you had a good finish recently.
    I also saw an article written by lesmonster featuring YOU!!! in the Cabellas Mag. I have also seen a few in the recent “Walleye Insiders”. And a gig at channel 9.
    You’re rocking now!!!
    Cal is doing great. Gaining weight like crazy.
    The guide business has been gangbusters. I’m getting burnt out. Nights at Shucks, late night feedings and early morning fishing trips. Only a few months left.
    I’m going to team up with “Iowa Mike” to see if we can book some ice fishing packages here at Manhattan Beach. He seems enthused.
    Keep up the good work. Maybe I’ll get a chance to compete agianst you some day.

John G

JohnGrosvenor
    Iowa

Jack,
    Thanks for the reply. I certainly do have my own children to share the experience with. My daughter who is five just caught a 1.1 pound gil this week. State qualifier! And my son, just over a month old now, likes the smell of fish on my hands. I think. LOL.
    I have nices and nephews and a ton of other kids on the resort who constantly ask for help…or worms if I gotttem in the fridge.

See ya
    John G

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.