Diesel Prices!!!!

• timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Is it just me or are the diesel prices way out of wack! Here in Rochester, the price is .30 cents a gallon higher the gas! I had to fill my truck up yesterday, 24 gal $77.00!!!

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Here gas is $2.799, diesel is $3.199. At 40 cents per gallon difference, a diesel truck would have to average at least 2mpg better just to overcome the fuel cost, let alone the very high purchase price of a truck with a diesel engine. On a recent trip to SD, my uncles 7.3 diesel averaged 12.8 mpg, I get 12.5 with my gas. The diesel fuel ended up costing more than the gas would have. I really would like to buy a diesel truck for my business, but at $6-8k more initial cost then a gas, and the fuel being 40 cents higher, its not going to happen. Around here even some of the big diesel guys have parked their pickups and started driving small cars or pickups. I heard by September gas prices should be back under 2 bucks though, so we will all be able to go fishing again.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

wonder why your mileage isnt good? my cousins 7.3 gets 21 miles per gallon on the highway it is a 5 speed manual tho i dont think that would make that much difference.

Diesel is a bi-product of making gasoline so its stupid that its higher then regular gas but i heard that they are keeping it higher to keep the cost of regular gas down

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

I put a chip in my Duamax and get almost 17 in town and 20 on the hwy. The price is what is making me !!!!!!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

The high cost of diesel fuel is a result of all the diesel truck sales that were driven by the LOW cost of diesel fuel. Ford, GM & Dodge spiffed up their diesel trucks as a way to sell more trucks. The added truck sales drove up the demand for the diesel fuel of which there was a surplus. Now, the demand for fuel is up, we have an adbundunt supply, in fact the milage has never been higher on diesel engines.

If you are the oil companies do you pass up the opportunity to stick it to the consumers? Of course not.As a consumer we have a few choices.
    Drive less.
    Drive smarter.
    Buy oil company stocks.
    Or sit at our computors and pee & moan about it.

What are YOU going to do?

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Brian. This was a discussion about how the price is not right. I understand what you are saying. I am in the auto bussiness. It takes less to refine diesel than gas so the price should be the same if not cheaper. If you do not like the this discussion or our opinion, do not come here. I am not Pissing and moening, I am telling my view on this. So you can ride a moped and hug a tree!!!!!!

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Ford, GM & Dodge spiffed up their diesel trucks as a way to sell more trucks. The added truck sales drove up the demand for the diesel fuel of which there was a surplus.

Not even close to reality……

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

I am not Pissing and moening, I am telling my view on this. So you can ride a moped and hug a tree!!!!!!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Quote:

I heard by September gas prices should be back under 2 bucks though, so we will all be able to go fishing again.

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS TRUE! Where did you hear this?

Cooner
    Hastings, MN

I don’t drive a diesel; never will because I don’t have a need for it. I drive a truck; though it may be gas I still feel the crunch but I didn’t buy it for economy.
    I know a “little” about refining. It is real dependant on the quality of crude we get. You don’t take a barrel of crude and turn it into a barrel of diesel. That barrel of crude turns into many things. The crude gets heated and the evaporates are collected at various temps. Each temp equals a different fuel/oil. So if it’s better crude it will produce less diesel. In fact it always will because the chemical make up of gas is smaller than diesel.
    Diesel may theoretically cost less to refine but you get more gas from a barrel than diesel which in turn reflects in the price.
    I used to be in the auto industry also. A while back a few of us calculated the cost difference between 2 identical trucks. 1 gas, 1 diesel using the manufacturer epa guestamates. You would have to run that diesel truck an extra 330,000 miles to make up for the cost diff in the engine, maint, fuel diff.
    So if your not going to rebuild that engine 2 – 3 times and your not pulling around a skid loader or equivalent for business. Your wasting your money

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Cooner. I agree with what you are saying. That is right. I own my diesel for pulling power and I travel a lot fishing tournaments and the fuel economy is better. I am not arguing at all. I just do not like the price being that far off IMO!

honda75
    Iowa

2.79 a gallon on the farm for legal road fuel. Of course my powerstroke gets 23mpg as well so i don’t need to fill as much now if i had an ISUZU duramax or a FORD CUMMINS i would be filling up alot more.

also was reading above, reference a gas vs. diesel. we figured it out and gas prices would have to be over a dollar cheaper for and diesel people to be not getting better prics/mileage to a gas truck. Gas vehicles require more maintenece and also do not last as long. On the farm we work the heck out of trucks and gas just do not hold up. although i do have one farm truck left that is a gas and it is a 1999 f250 5.4 with 4:10 gears. I get 13 to 15 mpg on the highway(which is better than any 6 liter, or 8 liter gas chevy, as far as my experiences with my buddies having them). We just sold a 7.3 powerstroke it was a 1995 it had 398k on it and never had been touched, it was on its second tranny. Can’t complain about that and you will never see a gas vehicle going that far without a rebuild.

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Don’t you mean Dodge Cummins?

honda75
    Iowa

ford bought own cummins so they now own cummins. So actually no a ford cummins. They just bought them this year.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

Honda75, I agree with your notes. I had and have gas trucks and more recently (2001) went two diesel trucks. Little or no maintenence even when work much harder than a gasoline truck. So to those comparing nickels and dimes saved with gasoline trucks, you don’t quite have it all figured out yet. I do agree to get the initial up front cost out of a diesel truck, you need to keep and run it 4+ years, but from then on you are saving alot.

Timmie-you create such controversial posts. Keep it up.

I agree. It seems funny how diesel fuel has all of a sudden become more expensive than gas. I also agree and have thought since diesel out priced gas, what was mentioned above….Diesel pickups have gained so much more popularity. Now the fuel companies are not stupid as we all know.

TazTyke
    Central Minnesota

It does suck to have to pay the extra. I will pay what ever it takes though. I would never be able to go back to a gas after driving a diesel after the last 4 years! I drove my brothers gas truck the other day and couldn’t wait to get back into my truck. What a bummer to not be able to feel the raw power of a turbo charged motor and hear the wistle of the turbo. Must be a “male testosterone” thing but I love it. To have a truck that will pull a house off it foundation and get better gas mileage, I will pay. I want a truck that go’s when I say go no matter what I am pulling. You are right though it “sucks” big time that diesel is more then gas. All we can hope for is that they start building more refineries and drilling for more oil. But thats another debate.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.