Hornet nest problem

• ERIKJ
    Chaska, MN

Hornets have built a large nest in the wall of my inlaws home. They have actually chewed through the sheet rock and were getting in the home. We have covered the area with plastic and duct tape. We pull it back to shoot wasp and hornet killer in. We have found where they were getting in and have sprayed the area and caulked it. They persist. The size of the nest can be seen by a large 2′ by 1′ grey area showing through the sheet rock. Any ideas? Fogger? Professional?

Thanks,
    EJ

big_g
    Isle, MN

Iv’e always had good luck with that RAID in the black can. Can shoot em in midair, and they crash almost seconds later…

big g

Cooner
    Hastings, MN

Yup Raid wasp and hornet killer. Just used some the other day.
    It has a ridual effect, meaning that it keeps on killin’
    Spray them early morning or late evening when most are in the nest. Then run like H3LL!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have always handled bees myself however since this is in the wall of their home and it sounds bad I would suggest they call an exterminator if money is not an issue. He will know how to get the job done right. He’ll eliminate the bees and identify how they got in the wall in the first place. There may even be some other issue that he has seen before that needs to be addressed. This is one situation I would consider consulting with a professional.

scottsteil
    Central MN

I second what Mike said. This is no job for Raid can. Most likely they will continue to find ways into that wall unless they are all killed, and it may take repeated applications.

Plus, they need to be killed now. It could get very ugly in the house if you don’t get the problem taken care of.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Call a pro.. My buddy is a pest tech. Jim (612) 363-7638
    Tell him I sent you, He’ll give you a good rate.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

I agree with the last three posts. I had this same problem and tried to handle it myself, in the end the Hornets won.
    I called a professional and he took care of the problem. It cost $130 but it is guarenteed. The hornets can and will tear through the calk.

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

this is a true story, albeit hard to believe.

In fall 1993, we purchased a 120 year old home. Summer-fall 2004 we remodeled…..in the midst, we found a lot of hornets flying around…..to make a long story short, we fogged 2x (whilst shooting them on the outside as they made their escape) and killed, perhaps 100’s of thousands of them…..2″ thick on the floor of a 8×10′ room….twice…

tore the dormer out in our remodeling….found a hive…..sit down for this one…..3’x6’x2′ thick, and it still had the little critters in it…..

we took care of them though

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I had the same problem with them getting into my bathroom wall. I was taking a shower one day and a hornet was buzzing around. I thought just one. After a few more trips and a few showers later i pulled the curtain back that covers the window and there was a spot that the sheetrock was gone and a bare spot about 3″ in dia. of wasp nest. I caulked the hole that they were coming into from outside, got a couple cans of wasp spay and made a few holes surrounding the nest then sprayed the two cans around the nest douseing it good. It got rid of them, then i opened the wall, dug out the nest and repaired it. The nest was about 2′ by 1′

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.