I’m taking a Beginning Java Programming Class…

• pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

I am not a programmer, but need to take two Java classes to get into a program at the University of Illinois. I used to write F&G code (CNC machines) back when it was still on tapes, and tried to take a Fortran class over two decades ago. Is this going to be a difficult class, etc. I have no idea what to expect. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Programing a coffee machine shouldn’t be too hard, just don’t mess it up, most people get pretty cranky when the coffee machine doesn’t work in the morning.

I know I’m no help, last programing I did was on my calculator, back in high school darn near 10 years ago.

Jira

Depends how they teach the course. If they start out with basic OO principles and basic J2EE architecture stuff you’ll be fine — that background is important imo. However, if they assume you have that and jump right into sample code it will be a bit tougher.

Good book for beginners is “Java in a Nutshell” includes a CD with samples — many courses teach from it.

Goodluck!

Cooner
    Hastings, MN

It really depends on the book you use!!! Some are good, others are just confusing.
    Java 2 will be easy unless you didn’t study in Java 1.
    Very important thing is to learn to use the JavaDocs:

Java API

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.