Salamanders…a good sign or a bad sign?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

We’ve lived in our house for 14 years now…and this afternoon the Favorite Wife jumped out of her pants (much to the suprise of the neighbor boy) when she saw a salamander.

I only got a quick peek…of the salamander, but it looked like a tiger…without any yellow…it was too far away for me to positivly id.

Anyway, is anyone else seeing these little guys around? I didn’t think they started migrating this early. Since we don’t have any standing water…or any water close by, I thought it was odd that he was waiting to ambush the FW in our yard.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I haven’t seen a Salamander in over 15yrs. I used to see a lot of them. One can only hope it’s a good sign.

I used to have one as a pet a long time ago. It loved nightcrawlers. That salamander grew to be over 15″ before it finally passed due to old age.

Bob Bowman
    MN

That salamander grew to be over 15″ before it finally passed due to old age. [/quote

That is one BIG salamander

We have had a few around this year as well. My son and I turn over the landscape rocks to…well I guess I pick weeds and he looks for worms and bugs, but we have found a few as of late. I have not seen them in a long time either, I am not sure what the deal is. Maybe they have a 10 year cycle like the grouse There on the upswing too

Cooner
    Hastings, MN

Let me think………..
    What eats salamanders?
    Hmm….

gary_wellman
    South Metro

So BK, the question is:

did ya hook a kitty with it?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I’ve heard that salamanders and bass are natural born enemies. I guess the bass will hit them no matter what because the salamanders eat the eggs from the nests of bass. I haven’t seen many of them in along time.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Quote:

I haven’t seen a Salamander in over 15yrs. I used to see a lot of them. One can only hope it’s a good sign.

I used to have one as a pet a long time ago. It loved nightcrawlers. That salamander grew to be over 15″ before it finally passed due to old age.

Blue Fleck…you sure it wasn’t a premature death from being overweight….like say a heart attack? Wow, 15″!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Blue Fleck…you sure it wasn’t a premature death from being overweight….like say a heart attack? Wow, 15″!

Ohh come on, we all know What Blue Fleck considers 15″, the rest of us would say is closer to 4

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ohh come on, we all know What Blue Fleck considers 15″, the rest of us would say is closer to 4

No, I’m not a Walleye fisherman. My length is dead on. That thing was huge, and it was probably a little overweight. Then again, aren’t we all….

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I haven’t seen one in 20 years. They were like a grand prize when we went frog hunting as kids. I kept one for a while, then tried to use it as bait for a bass. Lip hooked it. On about the third cast got a line tangle. As you can imagine, the hook stopped, and the lipless Sally went half way across the river.

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

BrianK- My mom lives in the northern burbs on a park with lots of standing water. The kids and I have caught over 20 of those slimers this summer. Wade in the water and turn over rocks and there you go. My question is would it be legal to fish with these little guys? Love2Fish.

jdbruesewitz
    Isle, MN

I live up in East Bethel and have seen probably a half dozen this year, so far.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.