crab grass

• gary_wellman
    South Metro

What chemical kills crab-grass in the lawn? I tried “weed-b-gone” and even over applied to a light degree. All that did was give the crab grass a very light tint of brown on the edges and it is still growing out of control.

I need a good chemical that will kill the crab grass but not my lawn……..

Any good recommendations?

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Gasoline!

ok…probably not a good idea!

elesar

Gary-

I feel your pain. There really isn’t an effective post-emergent crabgrass killer. The best way is to pre-treat. The only truly effective way to kill it is to pull it, making sure you get the entire root, then mulch over the area to prevent regrowth.

Here is a link that can help you out.

Good luck.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey Gary, i had a problem with crabgrass and creeping charlie. I went to earl mays and told them about it and they gave me some chemical to use. I applied it and it took about 2 weeks but it got rid of it. They told me to buy some stuff that was kind of oily and mix that in the sprayer bottle too along with the killer to hold the chemical on the plant longer to get the life out of the chemical so i did, killed it deader than a doornail, both chemicals cost about 18 bucks.

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Dimension, buts its pre-emergent.

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

I don’t think the regular Weed-B-Gone will work. Ortho does make a crab grass killer. My neighbor uses it and it seems to work. He did comment that application at a setting of “2” works much better than the recommended setting of “1.5”. I guess there is an application bottle / sprayer you can buy for all Ortho chemicals and then each has an application rate.

Good Luck

krisko
    Durand, WI

Gary I’d just Round-Up your whole yard and just start over next year. Mowing is over rated anyway. My yard looked so good this spring and early summer. I spent a lot of money on fertilizer and stuff to make it look good. Then we didn’t get rain for oh I don’t know 2 months. I know have a broad leaf like weed here and there in the yard and no matter what I do I can’t even kill that…

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks all for the advice!

I’ll check out the Ortho.

I have roundup at home, but that kills everything, including the grass. The crab grass has actually spread out of control in a matter of about 2 weeks.

I wish my neighbor would take care of his first, then maybe I wouldn’t have it???

reever_1
    Rochester Minnesota

There is a product called “Drive” need to know someone with an applicators liscense to purchase by far the best thing for the crabgrass>

troy_vinson
    South Beloit ,Illinois

weed b gon makes a specific crabgrasskiller. Make sure you cut the grass first before you apply the spray.
    Also here is a link to a product i use in the my lawncare business that I found on the internet crabgrasskiller
    This stuff really works great. My clients love the results.

by the way when you pullcrabgrass by the roots it will grow back. Crabgrass has roots over 5 ft deep in the ground. not a good idea!!! Next spring put down some crabbgrass preventer after the first week in April.

Any other questions pm me.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

Gary: Just go fishing and forget about it. Once we get a couple frosts it will al be gone. Then you can fish some more and come spring you can think about it again. You don’t need all this stress in your life.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

It is alot of work but cut it off with a knife leaving the root in the soil and then sprinkle iodized salt on the root. This not only works on crab grass but also on several other pesky weeds. I know this isn’t an option for big lawns but if your yard is small like mine is it works great. You just reminded me that I have to get out and take care of my crab grass.

Eyehunter

Cooner
    Hastings, MN

I see your from Hastings. Go up to the Tree House by the Point. They sell a crab grass killer thats made by Fertilome that works good.

As far as the nieghbors yard, Roundup on a windy day should take care of that!

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

Gary;

It is nearly impossible to kill this stuff, however if you put the crab grass killer on in the spring before it germinates, you will have your best luck, other wise like stated about Mowing is greatly overrated, and Roundup is good.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

My lawn guy just charged me $40 to treat the lawn, and whatever he did killed ‘er good!

krisko
    Durand, WI

Wish you would quit calling him your yard guy and just call him by his real name….Brian. That stuff on your lawn that was Stink Bait…..Killed everything including your nose hairs….

Ok serious now…our neighbor uses a chemical he gets from the local Cenex/feedmill in town. The farmers swear by it. I don’t remember the name, but if you do ask Gary I’m sure they will let ya know…

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I HAVE BEEN TESTING SOME SPRAY ON STUFF (ORTHO, SPECTRICIDE, TRIMIC CONCENTRATES) AND AM UP TO 10 OZ PER GALLON WHEN THE BOTTLE SAYS 2 OZ PER GALLON, SPRAYED ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND YESTERDAY CRABGRASS AND VOILETS ARE BROWN AND DYING, GRASS STILL OK. JUST MY .02. FIND A TEST AREA IN YOUR YARD SO IF YOU GO TO FAR NO BIG DEAL.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

As far as the nieghbors yard, Roundup on a windy day should take care of that!

By the way, that is funny!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.