Tagged Fish?

• Anonymous

Bobbers and I have been talking about this as the Tribal DNR along with the Mn.DNR have been doing shocking and netting by where Bob lives. They have told Bob they are tagging and releasing the fish after measuring and weighing them.

What if anything are we suppose to do if we catch one of these tagged fish?

If anyone knows please respond.

I’m referring to Mille Lacs Lake in this post.

Anonymous

Thanks,

I had just read it and was coming back to answer my own Question. DUH?

Just like a banded duck the way it sounds. They send you a little card with all the info on it.

shadrapla
    cambridge mn

i caught northern pike at mille lacs lake 10 or so years ago and i bring tag to dnr in about 1 or 2 month i got card and info wow

Anonymous

Caught one Sat. eve.–a 22″ but I didn’t fare to well in helping the study!! For one I didn’t have a pen and the other reason–the other two guys doubled up on 19-20 inchers so I got on net duty. So back went the tagged fish—I just didn’t want to keep it out of the water very long in the cold–heck the wind chill had to be upper 20’s to mid 30’s—I looked at the numbers on the tag and there were too many to remember and no one with an empty hand to get the camera out. That was a fun problem to have though. TGIF

Anonymous

I heard that most all of the tagged fish are over the slot limit, so all must be returned. they just are looking for info on where and when the fish was caught. Post cards are supposed to be avail at area bait shops and boat landings for mailing in the info. sounds like a good plan. hopefully they can get some good info that they can use to better the management. Jack.

Anonymous

The cards are right by the orange signs at the access.

Anonymous

We picked up two tagged fish over the first couple days. A picture of one of them should be appearing in the Mille Lacs dicussion board in the near future. I recorded the numbers and sent in the card.

The problem I noticed is the public launch areas were out of the cards on three different visits to two different ramps. The study won’t go well if guys can’t get the cards to record the numbers.

It looks like they have the lake divided up into sections and individual reefs and flats marked with letter designations. If I understood their methodology correctly, both of the marked fish we caught were released on Myr Mar Flat and we caught them on the north side sand – straight out from the Wealthwood public ramp. So, it looks like they have already moved a bit. Both of our tags started with the letter “f” followed by a bunch of numbers. On the card, it looks like they designate “f” as the Myr Mar Flat.

JAE

The tagged fish I caught was a 15 incher, so needless to say it was consumed. Also had an F followed by 5 numbers. Caught it out in front of Fishers. If the cards are scarce, the email address is [email protected], and I called and spoke with Harriet @ 218-927-3751. When I get any info back I will post it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.