boat capacity guidelines?

• mnfan
    Rochester MN

IDA knowledge bank: Is a ‘person capacity’ rating for a boat based on adults, or weight? IE: looking at upgrading my boat, and found a few rated for 5 persons…we have 4 kids (under the age of 12) – 6 total included me & the bride. Do I need a 6+ capacity boat for all of us?

Thanks in advance

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Usually the tag in the boat indicates capacity in terms of persons and weight.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Good confusing question…I know mine says 5 people or 1200# or something very close to that. So in your case I’d go by the pounds

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

My understanding is you CANNOT exceed the passenger OR weight rating.

-J.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Alright I’d hate to admit this anytime, but Jon is right. I just talked to our warden and he said you cannot exceed either of them. They technically consider a person 150# he said….but it really doesn’t matter. If it says 5 it is 5 no matter if they are 8-80. A person is a person.

mnfan
    Rochester MN

Appreciate the quick replys!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I’m not sure what they do up in WI, but down the Iowa way we are required to have a large number at the back of the boat on each side to indicate what your Coast Guard person capicity is. That way they can keep things straight on both hands.

basshole
    Lytton, ia

also here in Iowa, if your boat capacity is 5, you better have 5 coast guard approved life jackets on board at all times, even if you are the only one in your boat…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.