Mercury versus Yamaha

• DONOTDELETE

Buying a 1850 sportfish and debating between a 150 efi Mercury or a 150 efi Yamaha? Is anyone better than the other???????

MuskyMidget
    White Bear Lake, MN

I am not a motorhead, but what I’ve been told by dealers is that Mercs have a Yamaha Powerhead and their own lower unit (at least on the 4 strokes).

Obviously if Merc is using Yammy parts, Yammy must be doing something right!

DONOTDELETE

Both of the above motors are proven powerplants and certainly all the bugs are worked out of the EFI motors as they’ve been around forever and a day. I ran a Merc 175 EFI 2 seasons ago. Run Yamaha now. The merc was reliable. Easy to start. Horrible gas mileage… plain EFI means squat as far as fuel consumption goes. Only marginally better than the carb motors. The EFI adavantage is the motors run smoother, start better, troll a bit more reliably. The Yamaha I had last season and this year is considerably smoother, quieter and faster then the Merc from 2 seasons past.

Neither motor will disappoint but in my opinion the yamaha gets the nod on the finer points.

Anonymous

Just to put my two cents in. James is right both are excellent motors. I ran a Merc 175 EFI and it was a great motor. Ran a 150 Yamaha Vmax which is still running 10 years later and the only problems I had were in the tilt and trim. If you are looking for better gas mileage and a great running motor consider a Merc Optimax. Been running them for 2 years and they are fantastic. They all have had their problems but that comes with new technology.

Chris Beeksma

DONOTDELETE

Chris offers some good advice…. if you really want one the best motors available, check out the “DFI” motors. DFI Stands for Direct Fuel Injection…. Merc’s version is the OptiMax, Yamaha puts out the HPDI, and Evinrude has the Ficht. You’ll spend more money but what you get is an incredible increase in fuel economy, absolutely no smoking, a motor that meets the new 2006 pollution standards, etc. Fabulous technology!

Anonymous

Proof positive! I am a Merc “Smart” OptiMax owner, and I love it! I can digitally troll the motor down either by RPM or MPH. Great gas mileage and dependability! Merc split from Yamaha a couple of years ago now for their 4 strokes so I have heard. Both are great motors.

Tuck

DONOTDELETE

Thanks for all the input! I’ve decided on going with the Yamaha. I’ve ordered 150 EFI V-MAX but it’s on back order. They have the 150 HPDI in stock and want to charge $1000 for the upgrade. Is it worth the $$$$$ or should I wait fo the EFI??

DONOTDELETE

I personally run the HPDI…. awesome motor. Much more fuel efficient than the EFI motors, quieter, etc.

$1000 isn’t chicken scrath but I’d go HPDI if it was my rig.

Anonymous

I have been very impressed with James and Dustin’s HPDI, as well as Hougies 115 4 stroke he had last year!

Tuck

Anonymous

Shooter, good call on the motor! I have ran the Yamaha HPDI for about 2 months now, I just love it. I would highly recomend the HPDI for only another $1000. One thing I have noticed about the HPDI is, it’s very quiet and runs smooth. I have never run the V-MAX so I can not compare the two.

Go all out and spend the extra coin! You’ll be glad you did. I am sure of it!

DONOTDELETE

Thanks for the input on HPDI but I’m still a little nervouse about it due to lack of knowledge. Do you know how long the HPDI as been out or is this brand new technoligy?? I have kids so I’m sure we will do a little skiing behind it so would the HPDI be better or the EFI or does it make no difference.

Anonymous

The HPDI was introduced in to the fresh water world only 2 yrs ago. Some one correct me if I am wrong! Although I am not sure how long it has been around in the salt water world. I am not familiar with the EFI performance, I have never run the EFI. The HPDI on the other hand, is a great motor. You will not be dissapointed. For only $1000 more you can’t beat it! When I ordered up my new boat this winter I checked in to the V-Max, and it was going to be $2,000 less to go with the EFI. I chose not to, and I am glad I did. Here is a link to Yamaha’s web site check it out and see if it will answer any questions for you.

Good fishin’!

DONOTDELETE

The HPDI saw a couple years of testing and trouble shooting over-seas before being released in N. America a couple years ago. ITs a proven motor now and I’ve heard of very few, actually, no problems with this motor.

Break it in according to the manual and you won’t have anything but a very fast, quick, quiet, fuel efficient motor to enjoy….

Anonymous

Finished my first year with a 150 HPDI and it was wonderful. It started perfectly and ran perfectly in all weather from 100+ degrees to 15 degrees.

Anonymous

My partner runs a 200 HPDI on his Skeeter and it has been perfect from day one.

DONOTDELETE

Well, thanks to all your input I decided to go with the 150 HPDI and guess what? They are backordered. I’m not sure if it’s just a shortage on Yamaha’s or a problem with the dealer I’m buying through. Nevertheless, they can’t get me a definate delivery date on a EFI or HPDI. Any advice??

DONOTDELETE

We’ll they now have 2 motors available for the same price. What one would you choose??

2001 150 HPDI Yamaha

2002 150 Mercury Optimax

Anonymous

HPDI

Anonymous

I hope it is not to late for posting this. HPDI all the way!

Anonymous

I would have to go with HPDI, ran a 200 6 days a week last summer on Mille Lacs, awesome, the gas milage is worth it. Also consider that gas prices are suppost to be higher than last summer

DONOTDELETE

I thought I blew up my HPDI this week on Wednesday just as I was coming off the water with customers at the end of the day.

Should have known better!

The motor went completely and abruptly DEAD at WOT and would not start. Thought maybe I cooked it but good. I had another Non-Yamaha motor blow that way….

Ended up being an inexpensive part on the dash for the lanyard kill switch. The lanyard was is place but the switch was telling the motor the opposite. Apparently when that switch is pulled, HPDI’s cut off fuel to the motors to prevent flooding/fuel build-up in the cylinders…. and that could be quite a problem when the motor did fire off again. So at the time it sounded quite bad.

I thought I was the first guy on my block to have a problem with their HPDI…. and I was a bit disgusted with myself.

What a relief it was to find out it was a “boat problem” and not an expensie “motor” deal.

Get the HPDI….

DONOTDELETE

Well, I ended up getting the Optimax for 2 reasons. 1, it was 1 year newer and 2, they had a promo for an additional 2 year warranty for a total of 4. I’ve ran it now for 4 weeks and seems to be a good motor. Really smooth and quiet. Now I just need the fish to bite.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.