WHERE? To go for Ice Fishing trip 2007???

• wicked_1
    Eau Claire WI

We are looking to plan a trip to MN or WI in or about Feb. We have been to Winne and Upper red the last couple years and have on done too well. We are after crappies, perch, or eyes. We would also like a nice resort to stay at on the trip if you have any suggestions.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Mille Lacs hands down I fished there for the first time this past winter during the IDA GTG and can’t wait for ice to go back.
    Hunter’s Point Resort is a great place to get on the ice as well as rent sleeper shacks. They were top notch in my opinion on the service they provided. Mille Lac has it all for the ice fishing fanatic

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I would second Mike’s suggestion! Mille lac hands down!!

hntnful
    Everly Iowa

NE South Dakota has been a destination of ours a couple times a winter for about 10 years.. The fishing can be phanominal because there are so many lakes and species of fish to catch. I just got back from there and we got limits of 3-5 # walleyes all 4 days we were there. The Roost- in grenville is a good place to stay. Ten minutes from lots of lakes and the cabins are fully stocked.
    Brian

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hunters Point on Mille Lacs offers everything for the jumbo perch and eye guy. Closer than Winni. Check the MN/Mille Lacs forum for more info…and tell George that IDA sent you…he’ll have a little surprise for you.

If your looking for a little more off the heavly beaten path check out the LOTW (Lake of the Woods) Forum.

Flag Island and Wigwam Resort offer many creature comforts…and some awesome crappy/walleye fishing too.

I haven’t been to Flag Island, it has recieve high reviews from our members that have been there… I have Wigwam and I can speak from personal exeriance…they are out to win you over with there friendliness. Oh yeah! The fishing is awesome too!

Speaking of LOTW’s…check out these…little walleyes from LOTW’s.

>Click Here to zoom off to Lake of the Woods and some “little” eyes! LOL!<

bigpike

My bud and I have gone to LOTW the last few years, and while the fishing has been pretty good it does not justify the 8 hour drive to get there, we have re-thought this stradegy and figured we could get two trips up to Mille Lacs for the price of one to LOTW. This year we will fish Mille Lacs….

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I’d second the Northwest Angle Lake of the Woods.

Flag Island has guides that will take you into Canada on snowmobile if you want and fish for walleyes and crappies.

It’s a beautiful area with lots of scenery and you can get away from people if you want.

Its way more of an adventure than fishing Mille acs. Don’t get me wrong Mille acs is a great lake and I fish it all winter. But if I were only going to take one winter trip a year it would be the Northwest Angle any day.

And usually a slow day on Lake of the Woods can be better than a good day on Mille acs.

davehalverson
    Lake X, Central IA

Quote:

NE South Dakota has been a destination of ours a couple times a winter for about 10 years.. The fishing can be phanominal because there are so many lakes and species of fish to catch. I just got back from there and we got limits of 3-5 # walleyes all 4 days we were there. The Roost- in grenville is a good place to stay. Ten minutes from lots of lakes and the cabins are fully stocked.
    Brian

I second Brians suggestion here, Waubay area glacial lakes are my favorite ice destination of all. A group of us went their last year on our annual trip (Brian i think that was your idea, thanks ) and we plan to keep going back annually. Great fishing opportunities, lotsa species and tons of lakes…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.