Kabetogama in May

• Anonymous

Going to Kabetogama the 23rd of May. Any one have any information on this time frame up there would greatly help. My friends have been there but I havent . Staying at Kec’s Cove .

RedEye
    Rice, MN

Should be a good time to be up there. I used to work at one of the resorts up there for 4 years and had some excellent fishing when I could get out. I’m sure your friends have some spots they like to fish, but here are some of mine: Peterson’s Bay, Ram Is., Harris Is., Cutover Is. in 8-15 ft. just to name a few that would be close to your location on the lake for that time of year. Lindy rigs with crawlers and leeches worked very well for me. Seems that “plain and simple” is the way to go on that lake. The lake also seems to become a “dead sea” after dark and if you don’t know the lake all that well I wouldn’t suggest boating at night. There are a lot of rock reefs that are marked, but the buoys aren’t lit at night…….Best of luck!!

Anonymous

Is it illegal to go out and place reflective tape on these bouys? That way you could at least spotlight your way around at night if you wanted to try the bite then. Anyone?

RedEye
    Rice, MN

I know most of the buoys up on Kab have reflective tape, but you’d have to almost be up on them to see them. Some of the reefs extend past where the buoy is located so one needs to use caution. I know of a couple reefs that aren’t even marked until someone hits one and marks it with a bleach jug. As far as the legality of putting tape on the buoys..??.. I personally wouldn’t think it would be illegal since it would help everyone avoid costly lower unit/ hull damage.

Anonymous

Hey fishinfool!

That time of year should be very exciting! Hit as many of the river channels/outlets and spring fed bays as you can. Check with locals as well. Hit the Ash River too!! Don’t waste a lot of time jigging until you find the fish. I recommend spinner rigs with medium to large shiners and crank baits. Walli-divers and shad raps in the #8-#9’s!!

This will allow you to cover the expansive trophy filled Kabby! I will re-visit my map of Kabby, returning with a few more ideas for you as soon as I can!

Think post spawn! Walleyes should be very close to areas they have spawned in. If not during the day they WILL return near during low light periods.

Jim W

Anonymous

I would recommmend covering lots of areas to find fish.Try cranks,3-ways/floating raps,lindys. Then zero in with jigs. Try the Martins,Sugarbush,Lost Bay. As above mentioned,there are unmarked reefs/rocks, be careful and good luck. Hybes

Anonymous

HUGE crappies in lost bay mixed in w/ the eyes in the spring too!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.