Boats

• Anonymous

Now that Pike season has closed and I know this question could be old, but I thought it would be interesting to see what the visitors to this site have for boat interests?

What size boat do you prefer?

Hull style?

Brand?

Motor?

Interested in seeing what peoples choices are and why they chose them i.e….. Family, specific body of water, Tourneys……

Anonymous

Well hooks, I’ll answer this two ways, if money were no object, then realistic.

Money no object boat

20′ Ranger, Tracker or Triton, most likely the triton

225 Opti or Vmax, most likely the Vmax

Reasons, I want a fast, big water boat that is dry and safe. I hope to start fishing more competitively next spring so a big boat will be a must. Because I’m probably going to fish the am side of PWT and/or RCL events this could also influence my purchase, incentive dollars ect…

Realistic boat:

18′ Crestliner Fishhawk or TS, possibly Lund 1900 LE

Max the HP no matter what boat I get, this is a must in my eyes for resale value, plus I might have a fire to get to someday;)

I’m leaning toward the Yammies right now, but I’m not tied to one particular company at this point. I believe all the new motors are quality. Especially in the 150 class.

So I guess that’s what I want, today. I’m sure it will change tomorrow……

Anonymous

My all-around choice would be a 20 ft tiller with a 100hp or 125hp. You really can’t beat the ride going into 4 footers like a 20 foot tiller. And back trolling into the waves with a big tiller, is a real treat. You have to like the ability to hold on a structure that the big tillers allow you.

Good idea hear Hook on this fourm…….

It is time to start thinking open water. The Alumacraft has been my brand the last 12 years. Mercury has got me on and off the water also during that time!

They have been very good to me.

Anonymous

Sounds exactly like the boat for sale on the EFN classifieds. Alumacraft, tiller, 20 ft. Icant believe it hasn’t sold yet. Bobber you are right though, gotta like sittin in the back of the boat in BIG ROLLERS, lots smoother but completely opposite for the guy(s) in front, OUCH!!(at least when I drive!)

Anonymous

Mercury powered Ranger 620 and I Love It!!

I’ve owned many brands and since i went to Ranger I could never go back to aluminum………always had Mercury.

Eric Naig

MuskyMidget
    White Bear Lake, MN

Being a musky man, I think the Crestliner Fish Hawks are set up perfectly for the job.

Due to size restrictions of the garage, I have a 1650 Fish Hawk with a 80 horse Yamaha 4 stroke.

I love it.

Anonymous

I have a 19 ft Sylvan with twin 50’s on it. I do alot of trolling with plug on Pepin and I’ll never go back to a single motor. I get on to VERY QUICK and when i troll I cut one motor off and can troll down to about 1/2 mph. I love it.

Elkmantom

Anonymous

Eric, that has been my theory the past 10 years. The fiberglass ride is just unmatched. Used to run a Ranger 690 was a nice boat. Do feel my Fisher is definitely a drier ride. Ideal boat? 22 ft fiberglass deep v with bass boat interior or at least a nice rear casting deck. Minimum 96″ beam. 225 Optimax or larger. MinnKota Genesis trolling motor on front. 8 ft rod lockers. Etc. And of course my Vexilar Edge!

Chris Beeksma

Anonymous

I wish they still made the 219 Stratos. For those of us that fish both bass and walleye it is the closest thing to a multi-specie boat I’ve been in. Many of my friends and clients have be happy to have that extra depth after a rough day on Mille Lacs or Pepin chasing bass.

My ultimate boat would be 19’+. I would have to go fiberglass for the ride. throw a 200+ motor on the back with a quality kicker for trolling. It would need to be deep enough to handle some rougher water, but not nearly as deep as a Skeeter or Yar Craft (which I love both for walleyes). It would also need removeable casting decks not only in the back, but also up front to be more like a Triton TR-21 (awesome bass rig).

To only dream!!!

Anonymous

Hooks this thread was a bad idea. Now I have a severe case of two or four or six footitis. Hearing about all these dream boats makes me want to upgrade my alumacraft backtroller with the 40horse merc. Actually I love my little tub you just need to know your limitations.

Dream boat number 1: 22 foot crestliner sabre for big lake trolling (need aluminum for beaching in canada)

Dream boat number 2: Ranger 620 for bass and muskie

Reality: Whatever my wife wants

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.