Poygan or Winneconne or Butt Des Morts

• MikeRyan

Hello,
    In your view, which one of those lakes is best for bass fishing?

Never been there, I only will be there for 1 day.

Thanks for any advise,

Mike

MikeRyan

Bit red in the face on this end,
    never thought of asking about the river we are staing on.

Fox perhaps a bit far, but just might give it a try.

Cheers,
    Mike

waterfowler99
    Midwest

all i meant is none of the above ifished there a month ago for 4 days and if i was givin the option i would go to the rivers

MikeRyan

River traffic on Wolf, is it an issue
    or are there some backwaters to hide in.
    Is it better for LM or SM bass?

One of these days I will work full 8 hours.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

I think they are all horrible bass fisheries.

After being there almost a week the only thing I learned is that i don’t want to go back there.

I know there are some Winneconne area Pro’s here that might be able to help you out though. My only advice is to try the green stuff around the Highway 41 bridge or the river like WF said.

Good Luck.

MikeRyan

Ok,
    So, just in case are there any good bars in the area.
    I prefer to get some bass, but……
    Cheers,

BassHog
    Wind Lake, WI

Quote:

I think they are all horrible bass fisheries.

After being there almost a week the only thing I learned is that i don’t want to go back there.

You’re not being very optimistic slop…That chain is my favorite body of water!

If you’re heading up there just for fun and not in a tournament…you can catch plenty of fish in any of the cuts on Poygan/Winneconne. Pumpkinseed, Shirley, Old Indian Point, Booms Bay Cut, etc. all hold lots of bassfor fun fishing….

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

Poygan or Winneconne or Butt Des Morts???

They are all GREAT! Like B-Hog said, they are one of my favorites as well. And I fully agree that you can fish any of the cuts and channels around Winneconne and Poygan and catch bass. Don’t expect to win money in any big tournaments in the cuts though…they get beat up bad. But as for a day of fun fishing you’ll do fine.

MikeRyan

Win money did you say, ha. I am hoping to donate as little as possible. Thanks for all your posts and perhaps I will post my results next week, if any at all.

Cheers,
    Mike

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

d-nort is right…I help some guys pre-fish for bigbucksbass and found alot of fish…yeah, I couldn’t believe it either. You can fish all the channel and catch your limit, but they may not get you much. But you can get a limit or points if its a club tourney….Our club out of Oshkosh has a Club Open on the first weekend in August. I will be fishing that and will expect to cash… ….but I will not be fishing the river…hint…hint..I can’t handle the big cruisers…
    good luck..

sheepheadmaster

I grew up on the Wolf River and if you are looking to hit some bass. Go to the Waupaca River from the Wolf and you will be able to catch some nice smallies. The actual Wolf is pretty hit or miss on bass. You can catch some nice largemouth in Poygan. If the fishing isn’t doing it for ya, the Bridge bar and Slipknot are great bars right on the river in fremont to hit the sauce. Good luck

MikeRyan

Thanks for your posts,
    Lots of water, lots. Just focused on a few mile stratch south of Winneconne. Got bunch small bass on plastic dragged over some weeds, but no big bass. Maybe the bigger ones are retired or just not there. Never made it out to Waupaca river, looked to be far and I have neve been there. Thanks anyway sheepheadmaster.

Thanks,
    Mike

jenn
    Northeast Wisconsin

I have always caught a lot of bass from fremont up toward partridge crop lake on the wolf river……used to live up there….. don’t know anything about bass in those lakes nor if this is too late for you! have been too busy to check the forums lately
    jenn

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.