Lead Core or Snap Weights?

• Anonymous

As many of you know I am marketing a line of snap weights and would like to hear your ideas.When and why would you use lead core versus a snap weight system.I personally find lead line to be cumbersome and not really enjoyable to fish with but I want to hear what I may be up against in the market.Thanks in advance Brett.

Anonymous

Brett,

I snap weights ALOT on Erie. 2-5 oz. Right now I am using the Offshores, but as you know the red clips are a bit pricy. How much are your snap weights and what type of line attachment do they use. Are they easy to attach/remove.

I would be interested in trying out a set of them… How much are they? Where can I get them?

Thanks,

Jason

JimCorey
    East Central Ohio

I use both snap weights and lead core in different situations. It would be hard for me to use snap weights for the same presentations as lead core. The snap weight or another in-line weight like a bottom bouncer, reacts very quickly to any changes in speed or amount of line out. I favor them in most situations. When I want to present a bait or lure v e r y slowly, especially in very cold water, I turn to the lead core. I find that it reacts to changes more slowly and allows me to “sneak” a bait or lure far more precisely, at slower speeds, along a bottom contour, adjusting depth with varrying boat speed and small increments of line-out. The slow, gradual reation to changes is what I can’t duplicate with snap weights, bottom bouncers, in-line trolling weights, etc. In warmer water at faster speeds however, the snap weights really shine for me. I turn to bottom bouncers when the bottom is cluttered and snags are more likely. Unlike many anglers who use lead core throughout the water column, I tend to go with the snap weight when after suspended fish and use the core when targeting bottom relating fish when inches seem to make a big difference. I find that I can “tweak” the depth more precisely with lead core.

Anonymous

Jason the kits sell for $16.99 and that includes 5 clips 2-3/4oz,2-1oz,2-1.5oz,2-2oz,2-3oz weights.These are definatly more cost effective to use and are easy on and off the line.They hold on very well but of course you will lose one once in awhile just like the other brands.I will send you a private to get your address.Brett

JimCorey
    East Central Ohio

To keep from losing snap weights I attach a small cross lock snap, or the small snap used to attach stinger hooks, to the snap weight with a short piece of mono and crimping sleeves. With practice these are fairly easy for the second man in a boat to detach when fighting a fish. I also tie in a swivel about 4 feet above my lure or bait so that, when alone in the boat or things are hectic, I can just pinch and drop the weight and the swivel will keep it from sliding all the way down to the fish.

Anonymous

Jim,

The stump gods out at Mosquito always seem to steal a few of mine!!!

Jason

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.