Dang Deer eating my garden!

• col._klink
    St Paul

Is there anything you can do besides ??

They ate all my pepper plants agian! They even ate my hot pepper plants?? I have re-planted them once already. Those Anoka county deer are crazy!

BB gun to the ????

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Colklink, I just typed “deer repellent” into google and came up with many websites with natural repellents for deer in gardens. I have the same problem, they really love young apple trees.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

My wife plants marigolds around the edges of the garden they do a very good job at keep the deer out of there. She said she spaces them about a foot apart & that they need to be flowered to work.

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

They eat everything in my back yard also! I have tried every spray there is trust me the only one that has done the job is liquid fence! All other have been a waste of my money!!

Right now Im stuck with this Shot Gun Deer& Rabbit repellent and I just got chowed on the other night!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Just stand in the garden til Oct.

col._klink
    St Paul

I thought about seeing if the PSE was still on @ 30 yards

timmy

Take any old CD that you recieve in the mail – we all get them for crapola like free “aol” and such. Instead of throwing it in the garbage, hang it from a piece of fishing line in the garden. If the garden is big – hang them at the corners. They rotate in the lightest of air currents and the reflections keep the deer out. It worked on my garden. A short fence keeps the rabbits out – but the deer needed the CD treatment. Safe around pets, and free……

Tim

P.S. For saving your garden, you owe me a

sallie

COYOTE URINE
    Don’t know where you get it. A friend of mine has had problems with deer so one of the neigbors gave him a bottle of it and so far it has worked.
    I’ll try to find out where he got it.

barc
    SE MN

liquid fence, liquid fence, liquid fence…
    If you can stand the stench when you spray it on – it has really done the trick for me on rabbits and deer…
    barc

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Go to your local beauty shop and get all the hair they sweep up and spread it in your garden. They say it works great.

cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

Instead od old cd’s pie tins work good too.

Saw a thing on tv the other day about this – sparkle black pepper in your garden, they also said that at garden stores they sell BIG CAT poop – suppose to work great

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Put about a dozen or (more) seranno or jalapenoes in a blender and fill with water. Puree until its as close to a liquid as possible, 10 minutes or so. Pour through a dishcloth to keep back any sediments and put in a bug sprayer. Try some on your tounge and if its hot enough it will work. Spray it on your plants and it not only gives the deer something to remember but it gets rid of all the other bugs too. You have to reapply it after each rain until the plants get big enough to pollinate but it works good. Its an excellent insectiside when bugs appear. I can still hear the deer across the street blowing through thier noses from when they visited my garden last year.

yodeldog
    Farmville, MN

Human hair in an old nylon.

evileye
    Milan Il

Brian is right on the money , we tried everything to keep the rabbits out of my wifes flower beds and liquid fence is the only thing that worked!!!
    It smells like fox urine or worst ,but the smell will go away in a day and only the critters can smell it ,they have one for rabbits and deer

scottsteil
    Central MN

Those are rabbits eating your pepper plants. For some reason they really like the Jalepeno plants. Mine are all done too. The rabbits get them every year, the good thing is the grow back from the base where the rabbit chewed them off. Putting a Tomatoe cage over the plant helps as a deterent.

gobig-or-gohome
    Lake Minnetonka area

Woke up this morning to find a deer ate all the leaves off two of our hasta plants one was a fresh transplant.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Pour tabassco on the leaves………they will leave them alone then!

Atleast this is how we got rid of the coyotes in the Mohave Desert during war training when I was in the military. The yotes were constantly harrassing us in the night, trying to get into our tents……..

So, we went into the mess tent, fixed up a big pile of left over food, and poured about a gallon of tabasso sauce over it. It was the funniest thing I’ve ever heard……the yotes gulped it up, but they cried and wined the whole time they ate it………They never came back after that.

skippy783
    Dysart, IA

I’ve always heard that spreading moth balls around will keep them away. No idea if it works, its just something that I have heard.

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

I agree with a couple of things. First the CD thing does work. It is helpful to have trees around to hang the CD’s from. Also I can’t say enough about LIQUID FENCE. It works! It has even kept my wife out of the garden, she hasn’t helped weed it for over 5 years. Love2Fish.

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

My mother in-law told us about Liquid Fence. She swears by it. We picked up a bottle at Menards for $12. We’ll see.

col._klink
    St Paul

I thought they were rabbits to until I put the motion light on the side of the tree next to my garden. It went off at 5 am when I was pulling in the driveway after work. So I snuck around the house and I almost pooped in my pants when I saw a nice buck with pepsi cans wrapped in velvet on top of his head. He was going to town. I tried to squirt him with pepper spray but it did not reach. So I thought I will spray the plants. Seems to have worked so far.

That was Monday morning. I have not seen one sense then

I have no problem with the deer but my pepper plants lead to the best homemade salsa!!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

In case you didn’t get the point yet – LIQUID FENCE!!!

It just flat out works. Period.

gobig-or-gohome
    Lake Minnetonka area

Got some Liquid Fence last night and sprayed on and around the area where the deer were feeding and I can see why it keeps them away it smells like

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Here is a tip also…if you have some left, don’t store it in your garage unless the garage is air conditioned. Put it in a plastic bag, seal it up, and put it in the basement. After a few days in a hot garage that smell is pleasant compared to how ripe it can get.

The smell will go away in a day.

You don’t need to spray often, but start off at one week, then two, then monthly. The deer essentially get out of the habit of stopping by for lunch and dinner and find some other source.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

In case anyone wants good results without the stink, smearing peanut butter on the electric fence works wonders! One strand low for the rabbits and one higher for the deer. One lick, ZAP!!!! It worked so well, they stopped coming by for the apple trees too! Every spring, a little peanut butter gets smeared on the wire and the garden goes untouched.

Had a guy tell me that he didn’t like that idea around kids and pets. Well, so far I’ve found both to be intelligent enough to not mess with it. Whether it’s listening the first time or wishing they had listened the first time, they figure out the relationship between obedience and consequence. We’re also smart enough to unplug the fence when visitors are around or when working in the garden. Deer don’t hang around when kids are playing in the yard anyway. Just plug it in again when night rolls around.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.