Zero Turn Mowers….. Anyone Using One Right Now?

• impalapower
    Madison, WI

Been looking at some zero turn mowers. I’ve only seen the Dixon’s and Cub Cadet’s. I’d rather get one that has a fabricated deck, stamped decks I’m not too keen on. Anyone here have one, what make and model, engine, likes and dislikes.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Impala

Depends on the size of area to mow. We have a GreatDane commercial ZTR with a 61 inch deck and 28 HP fuel injected Kohler. WE love it. I bought it used with 97 hours on it. GreatDane was not my first choice after reading the commercial mower forums. But it was such a god deal I couldn`t turn it down.

If you have a lot to mow I would recommend the commercial style mowers. They are built heavier and there blade speed is 5 to 10 times faster then home owner type mowers. Our GreatDane will cut grass as fast as you can stand to drive up to 12 MPH. With our Symplicity with a 48 inch deck used to take about 4.5 hours. The Commercial GreatDane cut it to less then 50 minutes. Our yard is close to 2 acres with hills and all the buildings.

Even a good used commercial is much, much better IMO then any new home owner style mower. I would not get a Cub Cadet ZTR, they are known to be really troublesome. They don`t do a very good job of cutting from all I have read before we bought ours. You can buy a good Grasshopper commercial ZTR for less money then a lot of the John Deere home owner models.

If a person wants to do more then mow grass with there lawn mower, then go with a tractor style that can pull implements.

My Two Cents
    Good Luck

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I just bought a comm. zero turn. Its a ferris 52″ deck with a 25hp kawasaki. as of so far I love it. Its more comfortable than the exmarks I have driven do to the ifs (independent suspension) it has. I would recomend them as well as exmarks. Both companys have a heavy duty res. grade mower. You will be spending plenty of $$$ but if you cut alot of grass it will save you Hours. I have 1.5 acres I cut here in plymout and it takes me about 25 min. I also have 7.5 acres in corchran But really havent timed that one yet. Do some research like sugested abouve there is a good mower out there just need to find the rite one.
    Good luck.

ryanj

Have you checked out the Gravely zero turns? They are one hell of a tough mower! go to http://www.Gravely.com! They make them for commercial use and home use. I can highly recommend them!

emover
    Malcom, IA

I’ve had 2 older Gravely tractors, still have one of them, have not used their ZTR, but if they are as tough as the older units, they should be GREAT!

dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.