Fish the lake (ice’n) get together?

• Anonymous

Just curious if this is a possibility? Doesn’t have to be as large an event as the FTR get together(probably wouldn’t anyway, since not as many ice fish).

Get a group of guys out, hot chili, cidar, dogs or what ever and a day of fishing!!!

Jim W

Steve Hougom
    Onalaska, WI

What a great idea! I might be up for that. Any ideas on where and when?

Steve Hougom – FTL Webstaff

Anonymous

Let’s open it up for discussion!! I’d be up for just about anywhere. What about Pepin. Or a Faribault area lake? I take a couple ice trips up North a year so, I’d prefer something in the Southern Half of the State if possible. Early or late season, would probably be better fishing, especially on Pepin and the Cannon river chain of lakes.

Jim W

Edited by Jim W on 10/23/01 10:11 AM.

Anonymous

i agree, it sounds like a great time. if someone had a wall tent, we could set that up as headquarters. for this type of event i think we would need to weight a little later in the season till the ice hits at least 12-15 inches. if people are interested, i would be willing to help organize. i think the faribault area would be great.

todd

Anonymous

Now you are talking! Boy, sounds like real fun. I am in…. and will help with a donation of meat for the grill! Hawger

Anonymous

I’m in! I have never ice fished south of the metro however. There are a few decent spots in the metro. Like Bald Eagle and White Bear. Have never ice fished Minnetonka, but have always wanted to give it a try. Waconia is over there too.

I’m not to keen on the idea of ice fishing the river.

Jon J.

Anonymous

This sounds great !!Have any of you ever gotten a big group together on the ice and put out a big spread of tip ups around some structure for eyes?It`s awesome and usually proves to be very action packed as you take turns on flags.Brett.

DONOTDELETE

Ice fishing river bad! Nearly died twice. Good way to turn a big group of FTL visitors into a small group of FTL visitors!

I’d be all for a tip-up brigade on a lake with a decent walleye/pike population.

Got flags, will travel…

James Holst

Moving Waters Guide Service

http://www.movingwaters.net

Anonymous

Sounds like a good time. I’ll help out if date and time allow. I like the idea of fishing a solid lake. River sounds

too scary for a 300 pounder.

Anonymous

I’ll lend my Southern Mn. ice fishing where-to go wisdom here….

Lake Washington, near Mankato, Mn is a good early and mid-winter ice fishing lake for crappie and walleye. It has been “plowed” road wise in the past when we have thick snows. It has “Westwood” which is a bar/resturant at the access. Not near a town. The lake offers lots of structure… like grass flats near drops, shallow and deep water points.

Madison Lake in Madison, Mn has had the best walleye record for big fish this year, and is an excellent ice fishing lake. It has a narrows with lots of rocks, lots of feeding flats that are near drops. Very near a town. It would be a great choice too.

I have a thought that may have some logic… lets pick the lake just before we go. Choose our lake the week of the event… so we can end up on a lot location where things are happening, instead of planning where to go so far out in advance. We can benifit from our own fishing reports from FTL! And go accordingly where the fishing has been best for the day the event is set to go. Plan the date not the lake now. What do you think? Hawger

Anonymous

I like your ideas Hawger! My vote would be Madison, but I am easily swayed when it comes to fishing. Let’s drill some holes boys!!!

Jim W

Anonymous

Sounds like FUN!!!!

Anonymous

You guys name the time and place and I’ll have gas in the auger. After the weather these past two days, I’m thinking we’ll be on the ice in time for Turkey???? I sure hope not!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Yep Madison would be good. It is easy enough to find and has had the best walleye fishing round this year. I’ll go for that… How about you up-North guys?

Now, how about the date? In January? Hawger

Anonymous

yeah baby!!!!

Anonymous

Everyone must not be QUITE in the hard water mood yet eh? Very much undrerstood! Neither am I, but you can never plan ahead too much!!! I can hear the thrum-pum-pop-thum of my Lazer Mag now!!!

Jim W

Anonymous

So….Jan. 19 or the 26th? What one works for you guys? Hawger

Anonymous

I’d prefer the 26th, since I will be in a ice fishing tourney on Winnie the 12 and 13th. It would be hard to get “permission” two consecutive weekends. However, that is my opinion alone!

Jim W

Anonymous

Guys I realize we can`t please every one but before we put a date on ice, lets make sure we are not hitting any dates of boat or sport shows that a lot of us need to work at.I would like to see it be as big of party as possiable.Anyone have dates of the big ones in January cause I have not heard yet. Thanks in advance Brett!!!!

Anonymous

Brett, Where and when can we get hold of a sports show schedule, so that we do not have the problem?

Hawger

Anonymous

Hawger,

I will have to make some calls and check, I will reply soon.Brett

Anonymous

This sounds great. I was unable to make it to the FTR event, but Jan. is more flexible. Madison lake sounds good and a shot at some nice eye’s! I’m in and have a tip-up anti-freeze modification that I can’t wait to test on the eyes. Lots of tip-ups, heat, and chow wow look out cuz the flags are going to fly!

Flag UP!

Anonymous

I got this off FTR , Thanks Jenn – Hawger

Hi…..Here are a few….Sorry they’re not in Minnesota; but they may be helpful for those of us who visit fishtheriver and are in southern wisconsin or northern illinois….~Jenn

Milwaukee Boat Show ->January 18-27

Rosemont Fish, Hunt, Travel, and Outdoors Show-> January 16-20

Walleye Expo (Milwaukee) -> January 11-13

Chicago Boat, RV, & Outdoor Show, McCormick Place -> January 23-27

Milwaukee Sports Show -> March 8-17

MW-Marine, Hales Corners, WI -> Seminars every Sat. & Sun. in February

Quad City Boat, Fishing, & Vacation Show -> January 18-20

Anonymous

I like the idea, hope I can make it there………….

Anonymous

I say it’s time to name a date, time and place boys and girls!! Ice will come like a thief in the night!

I put my vote in for a Saturday. ALL day? Half day? Madison Lake for walldogs! OR Jackfish!!! OR whatever I can pull through my hole eh?

Jim W

Anonymous

I’m open for any Saturday or most days in Jan. I’ll be flexible. My lake vote goes to Madison 1st and Washington 2nd. TGIF

Edited by TGIF on 11/13/01 09:02 PM.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.