Lake Vermilion

• Anonymous

Anybody else as crazy as I feel every October? I will be fishing Vermilion this Weekend for walleye, crappie and whatever else tickles our fancy, but it’s going to be cold!!!! Snow is forecasted!!!

On a whim, a few years back, my wife and I had a wedding to attend in Virginia,Mn. We decided that if we had to go up there(for us at least 5 hours) we might as well bring our fishing gear. To make a long story short, I caught my personal best walleye, a VERY fat 29 incher on a now extinct Fred Arbocast(sp?) blue and yellow deep diving crank bait. [Oh, if anyone has any of these or knows where to get a hold of a few, let me know!]

Back up Nort, braving the cold for some walldogs!

Keep the rods bendin’!!!

Jim W

So now I am addicted to the lake, ever in pursuit of a walleye breaking the 30 inch mark on 6lb. test.

Anonymous

Sounds like you know the lake. We have fished Vermillion on the opener for 20 years and had a cabin on the lake for 10 years.

Some family friends were up there last weekend and did really good on shap raps in Greenwood Bay. Both just outside the mouth of the bay and just inside. Lots of 18-21″ fish. Good size for Vermillion, but no giants.

Dont forget to stop in at Bayview or the VC for some fun.

Anonymous

I’m staying at Bayview resort. I hear there is good food and drink there? Never been there personally. Let’s hope my rod can bend just once! If it bends the whole time, I won’t complain either!!!

I’ll let you know how we did. Why did you sell your cabin? I love that lake!!

Jim W

Anonymous

Well, as we pulled into our destination Saturday morning( 6:30am), Ace’s Guide Service, on Lake Vermilions, we noticed that it wasn’t just frost covering the ground…..snow!!! There was about 1-2 inches on the ground and dock. It didn’t melt out of the boat until early afternoon.

We began the day fishing in 24 degree temps(could be on the high side). We jigged at the mouth of the Pike River in and around a miniature scour hole(22ft. max depth). We managed a fe w small walleye, northern, crappie and perch, but nothing to get excited about.

The lake has recently turned with most temperatures ranging from 47 – 53 degrees. I missed what felt and looked like a very nice fish, slow trolling a large shiner on a “Wernimont” special spinner rig. I guess the blinding snow squall had me dazed and confused! ALl in all a fun , but very cold day on the water! Look up Terry “Ace” Sojberg on Lake Vermilion for some good guiding!

The next day we decided to try for some salmon in Two Harbors. We walked out onto the “Break water” and began casting spoons. My SECOND cast I had what looked like a Silver salmon(I’m no salmon expert). It immediately ripped drag and sent itself airborne. My buddy got a better look at it, claiming it was near 5 pounds!! This fish straightened the hook on a brand new Kastmaster spoon! My friend had a snap swivel breaking 8-10 pounder on that “ooohed” tourists walking the break point! However, after witnessing this wonderful fish try to fly, breaking his swivel, my friend had to quickly apologize to a youth for colorfully expressing himself!!(so to speak).

If you have a couple hours to spend, hit the break water on Lake Superior at Two HArbors. You could be in for a real treat!!!!!!!

Jim W

Anonymous

That sounds like Vermillion. Only August hasnt had snow up there. We have fished on Memorial day in 60’s in the morning and had 4″ of snow in the boat by 6pm.

It was my parents cabin and they sold it to help pay for their kids college-so it was my brother and I’s fault. The big problem was the fact that they went from paying $75/month in taxes to almost $250/month in about 3 years time. Non residents really get hit on the iron range. Add in a loan, travel cost, maintanence and all of a sudden it was over $1000/month for a cabin. You can do a lot of renting up there for that much.

How is Bayview Bob? We stay there every winter for snowmobiling-talk about some beautiful rides. Take the trails to Crane Lake and ride the lakes and river back. Bayview was 200 yards from our old cabin. In the spring you can get numbers of nice eyes off their dock at night.

Next time you are in the area, though a post out there. I can give you some good spots.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.