Buthering an Old Chicken

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My buddies 2 year old, yard bird Rhode Is rooster has begun attacking one of his kids. Happened again last night while I was there. He’s had it so I suggested I eat it. What cooking methods are preferred for a bird like this? I assume chicken soup would be a good option. I know there’s some people on this site that know for sure how a mature rooster can be cooked. Thanks.

Bob Bowman
    MN

I would inject him with Italian dressing and let him sit for a few hours to soak in the dressing and then dump him in the deep fryer…..3 1/2 minutes per pound,,,mmmmmmm.. I did this with a very old goose and it turned out great..I would think it would work with an old rooster

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I have a flock of breeder chickens for Gold’n Plump poultry and I have tried to butcher 24 week old cull roosters and eat them. With 24 week old birds you can roast them or cook them for soup. I can gaurantee you that if you fry, roast or grill that bird you will not be able to even chew the gravy !!!! He is a prime candidate for a pot of chicken soup.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thanks. Soup it is.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Good call. I butchered a 1.5 year old last year and made it into soup … even after cooking the soup the bird was tough. After you cook it, put the pot in the fridge for a day or two. That’s what finally did the trick for me! I reheated the soup after about 48 hours and it was perfect.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

you will not be able to even chew the gravy

big_g
    Isle, MN

cut it up for bass bait…

big g

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

I’d give it to BrianK, he’s used to eating that nasty old stuff!!!!!

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Snapping turtle bait!!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I hear you guys. HEY BRIANK-if you think it will work its all yours. Otherwise I’m doing the 2 day soup thing. The Coq Au Vin method sound like it will keep me off the water too long. It also sounds rather disturbing yet arousing.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

You could always try the old catfish board technique…………….you know the one where you put the chicken on the board, season it, bake at 350 and when it’s done throw away the chicken and eat the board!

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Us folks at PETA
    People for Eating Tasty Animals would also suggest making a Soup or better yet feeding it to my pet alligator which I am trying to fatten up to make those shiny new boots with!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Holy cow, jags … have you ever actually made that recipe you posted the link to?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

HEY BRIANK-if you think it will work its all yours.

I’m thinking once you make the soup…give it to your relatics…on your wifes side…

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

I once had a banty rooster that went native, attacking the kids and beating up my dogs [not good for a bird dogs ego] and even chasing my wife out of the garage. I caught it in a landing net and dropped it at a buddies place He kept it for about 2 months with the same results. He then put it in a box and stashed it in the cab of a friends semi. The trucker kept it untill he found some one he knew at a truck stop and transferred it to his truck. That rooster made several x-country trips by the time we lost track of it. It may still be traveling for all we know

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

chasing my wife out of the garage

I’ll give the person $500. to deliver it to my place.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

It’s not going to work Brian. I seen what your wife can do to a chicken with the grill

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

That rooster was too tuff to kill much less grill. Meanest chicken I ever saw

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Mean Chicken……………..is that an oxymoron? LOL

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

A buddy back home had turkey like this. He would kick the crap out of the dogs and humans. Most of the time he was well mannered, but every once in a while he would run his Ma to the house from the car. He died of lead poisoning one day. Apparently Ma left a 12 gauge shell laying out and the bird ate several pellets.

moose1

Coq au Vin for sure for the old bird. They just aired a show where they made it on the food network 2 days ago as well. Good eats. Check it out and I’m sure the recipe is on their website.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bret’s right…let my wife grill it….

(last years photo)

Did someone say McDonalds????

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

jags

Quote:

Holy cow, jags … have you ever actually made that recipe you posted the link to?

Yes I have. Its a long bugger, but as Emeril would say “Its a food of luv thing”

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Chewin the gravy, im going to remember that. I know old chickens have made thier way into plastic bags and gunny sacks then laid in the sun for a few days. Makes good bait for channels.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.