How slow can a 115HP Yammy troll down to on 17foot

• lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I had a Yam 9.9 remote hooked to the big engine, Yam controls in the boat and key start up front, the whole ball of beans. I thought I had a good deal until I fished with James Holst who taught me tons about precision boat control in seams and pockets. Precise control cannot be achieved with the motors hooked together and through a steering wheel. Not only that but it takes 2 hands to run the wheel and the throttle, no hands left for fishing. I upgraded to a T8 tiller, have 2 seat bases on the deck and pop one of my rear seats into those bases when I fish precision tactics. I bought the Yamaha remote brackets, installed them on the T8 and can still hook the motors together if I troll on BIG water or in really lousey conditions with the sun top up. I love this setup and am more than pleased with the whole deal.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

Can you show some pics of what you mean? I need to learn better boat control. THanks.

moose1

I’d consider putting a trolling plate on the big 4 stroke and save the 2 grand. I run a honda 130 hp on an 18′ crestliner sportfish and I get 1.8-2.1 mph on a low end via GPS. (not apples to apples but something to consider anyway) If I want slower for running spinners I use the bow mount. 24v is the way to go there if you ask me.

Now going out on Lake Michigan there is always that comfort factor of having a 2nd gas motor on the boat. I know a few guys that would have had a hard time on the big pond as waves were picking up if they didn’t have that kicker motor when the big one decided it wasn’t going to start. If I spent more time on the big pond going out 5-10+ miles I’d purchase the kicker just to be sure I had a decent backup plan in case of trouble.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

Thanks. I have done everything that you have said. I kept my T8 and put on a 24V. The kicker really serves as a good trolling motor and a great back up on the great lakes.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.