Winona or Wabasha MN fishing/camping question

• jonzimmy
    Rochester, MN

looking for suggestions on a fun place to camp out on the mississippi around Winona or Wabasha. My father-n-law is a northern pike finatic, and my bro-n-laws enjoy bass and northerns… just looking for a place to beach 2 boats for one night, have a camp fire, put a tent… oh yeah–and somewhere near fish! Never fished that area, looking for any tips or suggestions, thanks!

fishinfool
    mn

There is a campground (very clean- and has a noise restriction in the evenings) NO PARTIERS) in Winona out at Deer Island. I cant remember the name exactly but it has a boat launch up by the spill way and there are Northerns and Walleyes and bass in that area even into late summer. Last time I stayed there we had a 12lb Northern. Make reservations in advance(WELL). SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ON THE NAME>

FISHINFOOL.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Prairie Island campground

tbird171
    Winona, MN

Just above Prairie Island campground is a great launch area below the spillway for backwater access, but if you’re looking for solitude, the campground is probably a little busier than you’re after. (Should be able to make reservations through Winona Park & Recreations @ 507.457.8258). If you want an island for peace and quiet, I’d still go out of the spill way launch and head dowstream into the channel, there’s nice beaches heading north and mostly south. As far as honey hole’s, rely on your intuituion, depending on the time of year/flow/temp etc., if it looks like there’s potential then toss a plug. Good luck!

RWL
    Rochester, MN

Was at Winona Sunday evening for about 2 hours and Caught 5 northerns off shore at Vercota Landing and Minnesota city boat harbor. They seem to be in there pretty good right now. Water is dropping though not sure how long it will last. Just up from the campground though… Good luck..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.