Garage door help

• Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

I need some help with my garage door as it will not close without a lengthy battle. It is an Overhead Door 1/2 HP system that is three years old. It starts to go down a few feet and then it stops and comes back fully open. After 20-30 attempts, I can get it to finally close.

I’ve checked to make sure there is nothing between the sensors. I’ve turned the “close force” knob as high as it will go. I’ve lubed the heck out of the tracks, rollers, and hinges.

I’ve got a call in to Overhead Door but they can’t come out until Monday and I’d rather avoid paying them if it is something I can take care of myself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

I get the same problem every now and then. Disconnect the power and reconnect it, its worth a try. The other problem is that the eyes seem to be lined up, but as the door gets further down it moves the eyes enough that the door opens back up, so you might have to adjust the eyes again. That is if the eyes are attached to the rails.

hntnful
    Everly Iowa

Pull the handle to the lock out position on the track, and operate the door free hand to test it. If the door operate this way then you know it is the opener. You can also operate the opener this way. You should never operate the door with the tension all the way up. If it catches you will probably ripapart the top panel if the down pressure reverse doesn’t work.
    You could also check to see if the pivot point where the door hits the jamb as the door is going down is rubbing. An easy fix for that is to use a belt sander and take a little off.
    Try these and let me know if you figure it out.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

There should also be two tiny knobs on the opener to adjust the sensitivity and speed.

clintm
    mazeppa mn

look to see if the lights on the sensors are lit and flash when you cover then I had mine partialy unplug so it looked connected but wasn’t

fishinfool
    mn

The eyes are very sensitive.If you knock one just a little off course you will have this problem. FF

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all of your help. I think she may be working properly again.

I cleaned the eyes as they were quite dirty and checked their alignment. I did free the door from the chain and manually ran it up and down and couldn’t find any sticky spots. When I went to unplug it I saw that it was not completely plugged in so I think that was the problem–the motion of the motor would cause a loss of power to the opener. I’ve run it up and down several dozen times and have not had a problem.

So here is my last question: Since I just saved myself at least a $75 service call, I am justified in taking that money to spend on more fishing gear, right?

pdl
    Bayport/St. Croix/Otsego/Grand Rapids

May be time to inspect drive gears under motor housing…sometimes in cold climates TOO MUCH lube
    can freeze up,combine with dirt and air particulates and the problem doesn’t show up until warmer weather. Some companies recommmend only greasing the sideways slide holes on rollers and nothing on track, rolls, hinges except keep them clean and replace when worn. White “dust” in motor housing would be telltail sign of this kind of over-maintenance or gear wear due to pressure switch setting problems. If your chain slide has nylon sleeeve, it needs no lube.

clintm
    mazeppa mn

I would be on my way to Cabelas right away if I were you.

ERIKJ
    Chaska, MN

Glad to see it is working now. One problem I have encountered is the sun hitting the sensors. The sun angle changes with the seasons and there are times when the sun can hit it just right to cause it not to close.

EJ

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Glad to see it is working now. One problem I have encountered is the sun hitting the sensors. The sun angle changes with the seasons and there are times when the sun can hit it just right to cause it not to close.

EJ

Same here man. In the last half of March it was impossible to close the door due to the sun in the late afternoon.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.