Something to think about

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

As many Staffers and friends of mine know, I hardly know a thing about politics and our government. However while growing up and in grade school ever since I was a little Ripper, the following speech below is what I believed our Great country was all about. Somewhere between grade school to now the government, lawyers, and the American people (myself included) allowed this country to go from something I was proud about to be a part of: To taking the pledge of allegiance and God out of our schools, and walking on eggshells so we do not offend the people that come to “OUR” country to find a better way of life for themselves. While our government allows this to happen it is making us the “True Americans” lives worse and worse each day to the point know, “WE” are the minority and allow other cultures, religions and beliefs dictate how our lives are ran each and every day. This could be the very reason why I am so uninvolved in politics today and viewed by many as a bad American citizen. Like I said, I don’t get involved in politics or political debates, but I came across this Quote (speech) today from one of my favorite presidents of all time. The Great Theodore Roosevelt made this speech on immigrants back in 1907. I have never agreed with our Government more strongly or felt as strong on an issue as I do on this speech made by one of the Rough Riders TR. It is just a shame our government has gone from this speech to what it is today. I know things need to progress and change to survive in today’s world, including our Government, but I believe we would be a lot better off if we would have stuck to our guns on this one.

Theodore Roosevelt’s ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicted upon the person’s becoming in ever facet an American, and nothing but an American…. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have no room for but one flag, the American flag….. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Can I get an AMEN!

sandbar
    Woodbury, MN

I saw that on another board this morning. My response, we need 1/2 the leaders off this country to have an attitude like Teddy.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

That was 100 years ago,what do you suppose the next 100 years will bring?
    Ryan Hale

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

When my family came to the states, all they spoke was Fin. They had to learn English very quick and they did just that. People who refer to our ancestors that were immigrants were allowed to stay and so should todays illegals. The difference from back then and today.. Our ancestors were building America, not tearing it down..

Interesting article in todays paper. The INS did a huge sweep in 30 states on illegals. The investigation started in NYC where an informant witnessed workers throwing away thier W-2’s.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

AMEN!

But I also think things were a lot simpler in 1907.

I’d like to see more candidates in upcoming elections who would somehow bring the country back together. Or maybe the country has always been this divided? It just feels like there are a lot of people sitting at extremes right now and the answers are somewhere in the middle. But I’m a somewhat conservative guy and my “middle” might be someone else’s “right-wing.”

redneck
    Rosemount

Amen!!!
    We are all Americans, not a bunch of Hyphen Americans and ole Teddy saw that.

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Well said Ripper When I was growing up and going to school, it was the pledge of allgence every day and it meant something. The American flag was something you stood and saluted every time it went by. Now those things that made America the greatest country on earth are being taken away. Yes, true Americans are becoming minorities. Personnally, I feel if you do not like the way we do things here, you can kiss my !!!!

iceman62
    Baldwin, WI

Ripper,
    You hit the nail on the head. I, as with you, stay out of politics for reasons such as these. Not to mention, it is a good way to create arguements.

bassinfever
    Wausau, WI

Amen!!!

Great article, I like that. Here’s a thought, what if our Native American Indians made that statement to the Pilgrims.

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

I believe they did. The great TR had another famous phrase he was fond of using, “Speak softly and carry a big stick”. Guess the natives’ stick wasn’t big enough.

Oh, and AMEN!

col._klink
    St Paul

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe we could clone him from a DNA sample. Bring him back to life to re-lead this country?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Also Derek, our ancestors came here through a legal process. They spent their time on Ellis Island, before getting citizenship. They didn’t cut a hole in the fence.

big g

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If any politician made a statement like that now, he’d be forced to resign and apologize. That’s just sad. The deal is with this issue, I don’t know that the country is really that divided unless you want to count the illegals and even the legal Mexicans here who all of a sudden think it’s their country. Nothing wrong with being proud of where you came from, but it doesn’t come before the pride you have in the good ole USA. Because of PC we discourage and make it harder to asimilate. NO GOOD.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I should stay out of this. Keep your mouth shut, Jake. What the hell.

Since when did “English” becom America’s legal language?

Tribepride
    Mahnomen, Mn

Interesting observation about the illegal aliens from another site.

TO THE HEAD OF THE LINE [John Derbyshire]
    Tom Sowell points up a little-discussed aspect of the Senate proposal to amnesty illegal aliens: the affirmative action angle. Most of the people living here illegally — including all Central Americans, under the “Hispanic” label — be eligible for affirmative action programs and “diversity” quotas in hiring, contracting, college admissions, etc. They would thus go to the head of the line in many situations, in front of native-born U.S. citizens. And this would be true EVEN BEFORE THEY GOT CITIZENSHIP, as the quota and “diversity” rules kick in as soon as you are legally resident.

Native-born U.S. citizens, and people who entered the country lawfully would, unless they belonged to some preferred category of “historically disadvantaged” persons, be left, ah, living in the shadows.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I too should stay out of this for reasons stated in my original post. But, my post was not aimed at all towards the Illegal immigrants as I believe that is a whole nother subjet/topic or debate. My original post and I believe Teddy’s speech was more directed towards the people that are here legally in the US as legal US citizens. It was directed towards the people that have changed, contested, or continually trying to change the original “American” way of living by its laws, beliefs, cultures, language, flag, etc. that made this country so great not so long ago. That was my original thought and passion towards the FTR speech posted above.

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

DIVERSITY
    now theres an interesting term.
    isn’t diversity a form of sagragation?
    think about it all these imagrints come here a put there culture first we have the asians looking out for the asians, the hispanics looking out for the hispanics, the african-americans looking out for the african-americans.
    we are no longer a melting pot, we have become a bunch of special interest groups that only care about ourselves.
    why are some of us refered to as whites and not european-americans or german-americans or french-americans (get the picture)
    one last thing, by not getting involved a small portion of the people become the voice of america (see special interest groups.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

big_g
    Isle, MN

Lip, no way to step around it though. All the things that Teddy spoke of, are being whitewashed (pardon the pun) because it might offend someone, who has another belief. These simple things, such as the flag, the pledge, and prayer for that matter, have all been attacked, desecrated and/or taken out of the schools. I cannot stand, seeing people protesting in the streets of AMERICA, waving mexican flags. If you want to wave “that” flag, head a little south to do it. Your in AMERICA now !!! Why would you wave the flag of a country that is sooooooo bad, that you risk your life to get out of it ? Geez.

big g

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Different cultures have always been separated.

Little Italy, China town, French quarter…

What’s different is that the politically correct zealots want to force their views on everybody else.

With legal aliens coming to America and not assimilating or speaking the language, its usually the second generation that’s born here that gets Americanized.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I don’t know that we’re more diverse than our ancestors! When our ancestors came here they gathered with people of similar origins, gradually melting together over a period of hundreds of years. Look at some of our bigger cities, NY, LA, Chicago, SF. Each has its “Little Italys”, “Chinatowns”, “East LA’s”. And that is over 250 years since. Some of our recent troubles involve mexicans, central americans, african americans, who have yet to have 250+ years to melt into our culture. Give it time. We are experiencing definite growing pains, but we are growing.

That’s my “glass is half full” view for today!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I see what your saying cougareye, and point taken. I guess I just don’t have the tolerance, and definitely not the 250 years, to see a change for the better. I feel America is going downhill fast, is losing its luster and “Land of the Free” status. More like free for everybody who comes here from another country.

big g

krisko
    Durand, WI

Rob I’m with ya on this one. If I can find the email that I got in an email awhile back I’ll send it to you. I agree with Teddy…If ya got a problem go somewhere else or get used to the “American” way of life.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Andy Rooney said on “60 Minutes” several months ago:

I don’t think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United Caucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens…
    Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, that is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE?

I have the right “NOT” to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling, it is the Law of Probability.

I believe that if you are selling me a milkshake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn’t die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours. I think the police should have every right to shoot your sorry [censored] if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can’t understand the word “freeze” or “stop” in English, see the above lines.

I don’t think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

I don’t hate the rich. I don’t pity the poor.
    I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn’t stop you from watching them.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that’s better, and put your name on the building.

It doesn’t take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say “NO!”

I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don’t pretend they are a political statement.And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don’t want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me French fries!

I am sick of “Political Correctness.” I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa;so how can they be “African-Americans”? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don’t go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else.
    And if you don’t like my point of view, tough…
    THEN DON’T PASS IT ON!!

These “old guys” have it right on the money. I believe Robin Williams even said something similar awhile back.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Andy Rooney for Pres..

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have never heard that quote before, but it was great. Maybe going to school in the 90s was too late and they couldn’t show us that. I said the pledge of allegiance every day from Kindergarten thru 5th and then once a week after. It is a shame to see them beating that up as much as they do. Screw it, I’m moving to Canada.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I see what your saying cougareye, and point taken. I guess I just don’t have the tolerance, and definitely not the 250 years, to see a change for the better. I feel America is going downhill fast, is losing its luster and “Land of the Free” status. More like free for everybody who comes here from another country.

Big G, I hear what you are saying and exactly to the quote above..

Krisko a little extreme but yes you are correct also.

What do you imagine would happen if you go in the streets in another country under protest and wave an American Flag??????? I bet in most of these countries where these people are fleeing that you might not make it home for dinner………………………….. ever again.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Immigration (illegal and legal) does offer some big challenges to our country, but let me tell you some good things I see every day in the elementary school where I work.

We (students and staff) say the Pledge of Allegiance every day, including “under God.” There is an American flag in every classroom and we fly another 30 feet in the air with pride in front of the school.

We have many Hmong students in my school and I’m not going to speak on behalf of all of Hmong people, but the ones I have work very hard to learn English (written and spoken) and all the other subjects we teach. Their parents get them to school daily and on time. I’ve never had to sick the attendance officer on a single Hmong student. Their parents value the education the kids are getting and these parents show up for parent teacher conferences and other events where parent support is needed.

I know this can’t be said for every immigrant or ethnic group across the country, but at least in one small elementary school, things seem to be on the right track.

yeti
    Alma, Wi

Amen.

Yeti

yeti
    Alma, Wi

Back then they came thru Ellis Island. It was a reguirement that all immigrants learned the English language.Back then the immigrants took pride in learning the English language and becoming a part of the American culture. Alot different immigrant than you see today. Nothing but a lot of leeches.
    Nuff said.
    Let’s go fishin’
    Yeti

tamarack
    Lake Winnibigoshish

This letter was recently published in a popular newspaper.

Dear President Bush:

I’m about to plan a little trip with my family and extended family, and I would like to ask you to assist me. I’m going to walk across the border from the U.S. into Mexico, and I need to make a few arrangements. I know you can help with this.
    I plan to skip all the legal stuff like visas, passports,
    immigration quotas and laws. I’m sure they handle those things the same way you do here. So, would you mind telling your buddy, President Vicente Fox, that I’m on my way over? Please let him know that I will be expecting the following:

1. Free medical care for my entire family.

2. English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might need, whether I use them or not.

3. All government forms need to be printed in English

4. I want my kids to be taught by English-speaking teachers.

5. Schools need to include classes on American culture and history.

6. I want my kids to see the American flag flying on the top of the flag pole at their school with the Mexican flag flying lower down.

7. Please plan to feed my kids at school for both breakfast and lunch.

8. I will need a local Mexican driver’s license so I can get easy access to government services.

9. I do not plan to have any car insurance, and I won’t make any effort to learn local traffic laws.

10. In case one of the Mexican police officers does not get the memo from Pres. Fox to leave me alone, please be sure that all police officers speak English.

11. I plan to fly the U.S. flag from my house top, put flag decals on my car, and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th. I do not want any complaints or negative comments from the locals.

12. I would also like to have a nice job without paying any taxes, and don’t enforce any labor laws or tax laws.

13. Please tell all the people in the country to be extremely nice and never say a critical word about me, or about the strain I might place on the economy.

I know this is an easy request because you already do all these things for all the people who come to the U.S. from Mexico. I am sure that Pres. Fox won’t mind returning the favor if you ask him nicely.
    However, if he gives you any trouble, just invite him to go quail hunting with your V.P.
    Thank you so much for your kind help.

Sincerely,
    David M. Bresnahan

2006 David M. Bresnahan – All Rights Reserved

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.