what outboard to buy??

• Beckless

Earlier I asked what the problem might be regarding a smoking yamaha 4 stroke 15 hp motor.

To tell the truth, I already sold that motor because I couldn’t figure out the problem.

But now, I am going to replace that motor and I would like to know what everyone thinks about the new motors.

I like yamahas because (until the last one) I have always had good luck with them. My brother has the same motor that I had (but in 9.9 hp) and no smoking problems ever with it.

I looked at the Honda 9.9, and Yamaha. I also see Nissan, Suzuki, Merc, Evinrude, and a bunch of others. I read a lot of complaints on another web site about poor service from Merc.

What’s the story? It looks like the guys on this site are real fishermen. So, what would you buy in a small motor?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Depends on what you are using the motor for? If you are using it as a kicker, I would go with the yamaha t8, if you are looking to use it on the back of a small boat, etec or yamaha. Can’t go wrong with either one of these choices.

Just my 2 cents.

Jami

Beckless

What is a T8? I don’t follow all the latest stuff.

I’d like to be like my uncle — he fished all his life with the one boat and motor that he bought in 1947. It ran fine because he always stored it right. He also only fished about 4 to 6 times a year, but you get the point.

I’d like to buy one motor and keep it. I have a 12 ft. smokercraft with a 20 inch transom. Great little boat with a lot of free board. It fits in the back of my gas guzzler and lets me also tow the trailer too.

Now days it’s just crab fishing, close to shore on nice days salmon fishin, and mostly small lake trout fishin in eastern washington.

So I need something to troll slow, and still get somewhere in decent time. The 15 was great, but it was HEAVY, and I’m not getting any younger (57 now).

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I would buy a Suzuki. They never fail.

Beckless

Thanks Brian.

Did you note the 108 pounds! That the only drawback. How is it the Nissan only weighs 81 pounds? They must be skimping somewhere.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.