Question on leak around propeller?

• gassman
    Rochester,MN. U.S

Found a little puddle of oil that dripped out from around the propeller and down skag. Is this something to worry about and if it is, then how hard is it to get to seal and replace?? I can do the basics on the motor but nothing this big. Its a johnson vro, 60 horse,1992. 2ed year Ive had boat and still learning. thanks for any help..

birddog
    Mn.

Not sure on how to replace the seal?? The seal does need to be replaced. If oil can get out, water can get in, and that’s not good! You should also have the shaft checked for allignment, it may be bent or warped, thus causing the seal to fail prematurly. Good Luck.

BIRDDOG

BIRDDOG

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Also remove the prop and check for fishing line.

carpking
    Janesville, WI.

Before you do anything, follow back to where it came from. If you were running motor at slow speeds in cooler weather and then put away it is very possible it is unburned exhaust/oil mix. This can happen when trolling a lot and not running engine open to burn exhaust.

jigginjim
    Buffalo, MN. USA

Gassman, Remove the prop, once a month in the summer, check for line wrapped around the shaft. The line will cut into the seal, cause it to leak.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Before you do anything, follow back to where it came from. If you were running motor at slow speeds in cooler weather and then put away it is very possible it is unburned exhaust/oil mix. This can happen when trolling a lot and not running engine open to burn exhaust.

Exactly I replaced mine last year, and I actually think nothing was wrong with it, I had some issues with fuel and my vro pump I would’ve swore it was leaking from the shaft seal, but really it wasn’t it was all unburnt oil leaking down my exhaust. On my 97 Johnson 40 horse, it was not an easy job, I’d rather just take it in than ever try and do it again myself, atleast on my johnson.

rmartin
    United States

As suggested before, check the prop shaft behind the prop for fishing line. The color and consistency of the oil might tell you something. You could loosen the lower gearcase oil screw and see if water comes out (it sinks in oil and would be the first thing to come out). If it does, that is a sure sign of a leak and would need immediate attention. Your dealer could do a pressure check, but that would also cost you an oil change.

gassman
    Rochester,MN. U.S

Thanks alot for the info. How big of a job is it to take off prop? I’m new to lower unit work.. This started leaking when I put it in the garage fromm backyard, have not used it since last oct. thanks again guys.

rmartin
    United States

If you did not change the gearcase lube prior to freezing temps, then any water that may hve leaked in over the year could freeze and crack your gearcase. That is the worst case scenario. Higher temps may be causing pressure in the gearcase and forcing out oil. Changing the prop is not that difficult. Disconnect spark plug wires so motor cannot start. Remove cotter pin from prop nut and then remove prop nut, you can wedge the prop with a block of wood. Remove thrust bushing and pull prop off. There will be a spacer behind the prop that needs to come off and any line will be behind that. If there is line there, I would have the dealer check it out as lower units are rather expensive. To replace, reverse the order using a good marine grease on the prop shaft and splines. Turn the prop nut finger tight and then use a socket to turn it another 1/4-1/2 turn to line up the holes for a new cotter pin. All of the pins I have used have been 5/32×1, but that does not mean yours is, take it to a hardware store and have it matched up.

gassman
    Rochester,MN. U.S

Good news, took prop off and their was 12-15’of fireline wrapped around shaft. took line off and seal was not leaking,seems to be the exhaust info. looking inside LU. I could not see any leaks. did crack bottom plug and no water, I did change oil before storage. any other things please let me know, thanks alot guys, what a load off.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.