Trolling motor for 1850 Fish Hawk

• ryanj

I just purchased a Crestliner 1850 Fish Hawk. I want to put a Minn-Kota Maxxum trolling motor on it. I plan to fish larger waters such as Winnebago and Green Bay. I’m wondering if the 52 inch shaft will be long enough in big waves or should I just spend the extra money and get a longer shaft motor? Any recommedations would be appreciated.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

That’s what I have on Mine and I’m fishing Winni and Leech with mine.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Likely it will work fine, but in my experience, there is nothing more frustrating than trying to work a spot and the trolling motor won’t hold me in the waves. Just my two cents. How much extra is it??

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have a 1650 Lund Angler I went with the Minn-Kota Power Drive in the 60″ shaft. If you are fishing mostly big water I would go with the longer shaft.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I have the 60″ on my 185. I have found over the years that size does matter. The longer the boat, the higher it rises on a wave. Long shafts keep ‘er in the water. If you have the option, go long.

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

I have an Crestliner 1800 Serenity. No doubt get the longer shaft. I fish Mille Lacs and Cass Lake along with Pepin – the longer shaft will be needed when your fishing those windy days.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I have a 18′ 2″ Crestliner boat and used to have the 54″ shaft . Well lets just say I now have a 60″ shaft. Like mentioned above nothing worse when you are trying to hold your postition in big waves and your prop keeps popping out of the water and loosing control and momentum to stay in your spot. The longer shaft is worth the extra money, without a doubt IMO.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.