knots or tricks for joining lines?

• sdmarbleeye
    south dakota

I was just wondering what knot or knots everyone uses for joining mono leaders to fireline and leader lenghts if you use a leader? Also what tricks anyone might have for tying? Thanks lip ripper for the advise on planner rods and reels, I picked up 2 cabella planer board rods and 2 sealine 17 linecounters.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Using a mono leader with a fire line main, I use a swivel. Depeding on what application you are using the mono leader for will determine the length of the leader. For 3 waying, I usually use between a 6 and 10 foot leader.

Now for using mono as a back on a reel and fireline or power pro as a main, I use a blood knot.

Just my 2 cents.

Jami

waterfowler99
    Midwest

i just brought this topic to top of bass forum

knot type

sdmarbleeye
    south dakota

I guess one more of my questions was does anyone use a mono leader when pulling cranks with firline or do you just tie direct? Again thanks for the input.

Steelers

I use a Back-To-Back Uni-Knot. I found it in Berkley 2006 journal. I will attempt to explain it to you. Overlap lines by about 6 inches and create a loop in one line. Wrap the tag end through the loop five times. Pull the tag end to tighten the knot. Repeat another knot with the other tag end. Lubricate, pull tag ends, and clinch tight. Then pull all four lines to tighten. Trim the tag ends. Hope this helps.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I guess one more of my questions was does anyone use a mono leader when pulling cranks with firline or do you just tie direct? Again thanks for the input.

Unless you are in crystal clear water, I don’t think a mono or fluro leader is necessary when pulling cranks. When you fish this way you are getting many reaction strikes. Plus, Fireline is a pretty thin line and not too visible anyway.

My $.02

robby
    Quad Cities

Blood knot. Simple and strong.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

The double-uni knot is the one you want – superior to the blood knot because it is easier to tie. Your results may vary, Chuckles

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I agree – back to back uni-knots. Easy to tie and I’ve never had one fail. The line will fail before the knot, and the knot will travel through the eyelets if you want to run a long leader.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I use a blood knot or more often a surgeon knot to join lines.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

HERE IS ANOTHER SITE THAT I USE
    KNOTS

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I always use the Uni-Uni knot myself. I use this site here for a reference:
    Knot Guide

sdmarbleeye
    south dakota

Thanks for the advice guys!!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Here’s another site.

The albright knot is an easy one to join 2 lines. It can easily be done in windy and rough water conditions.

More Knots

Ben Garver

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.