Wyoming ?

• derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

My gal has been offered a really awesome position from her employer in Wyoming.

I think I found one lake that holds walleyes.

Looks like I will have to trade the walleye sticks for a fly rod.

Looking for any info. I dont think I could ever leave the Vikings..

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I can feel your pain…my wife is getting offered jobs in nashville, and CALIFORNIA….are you kidding me…

fishinfool
    mn

Dont get so depressed . Montana has some outstanding walleye fishing in Holter,Hauser,Canyon Ferry, and Ft.Peck Lakes (home of the world record saugeye). These lakes are just at their peak for production. Montanna is a hop skip and jump from Wyoming. Go to Montanna Walleye fishing in a search engine and you will be surprised. FISHINFOOL

mud

Where in Wyoming?

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

Its all about the trout – cutthroat, browns, rainbow, brook. Beautiful mountain streams and waterfall pools where the fish can go a season without seeing a hook. A flyrod is fine, but don’t throw away your spinning rod. These fish can hit aggressively on a spinner or spoon. Some of the most enjoyable fishing I’ve ever done. Save the walleye fishing for visiting back home.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

There is an awesome reservoir called Keyhole Reservoir that holds some very nice walleye in Wyoming. I spent quite a bit of time on the lake fishing and playing

col._klink
    St Paul

Hit the road man! Way different life stlye than around here!! Super fun to fly fish cutthroats any trout for that matter.

I am appling for a job in Jackson’s Hole. I hope I get it, I would pack er up and leave the minute I get the your hired letter or call.

Just think of the hunting that could happen. WY has some great duck hunting too.

I would be pumped if I was you!!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Wyoming has some AWSOME walleye fishing. Their state record walleye was caught at Boysen Reservior in 2001 in central wyoming and it weighed 17.42 lbs. Seminoe, Pathefinder, Glendo, Boysen, Keyhole, and Gray Rocks are just a few of their great walleye fisheries. If you like to fish walleye tournaments, they have an awsome tournament series. $400 entry fees but the winner usually takes home around $10,000.
    Here are some links to get you started.
    Wyoming Game and Fish
    Wyoming Walleye Circuit

Feel free to PM me and ask me any questions you might have. My parents retired to Saratoga, Wyoming about 6 years ago and I have learned quite a bit about things out there. My dad now has tons of friends that hunt and fish out there. The trout fishing is awsome too. Here is a picture of a trout I caught out there this last summer.

Now I’m a HARD CORE walleye guy, but those trout sure are fun.
    Ben Garver

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks guys.. Tons of great info..

She has the choice of about 13 different cities..

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

I would love to live in Wyoming-beautiful country! Fortunate to have a good friend living there! Lake Desmet is another large reservoir that has a healthy population of underfished walleyes. You will quickly warm up to catching the various species of trout. Bring your walleye rods along, I use spinning gear-panther martins, small spoons and especially jigs. They are fighters and tasty on the grill! You will be surprised how many Vikings fans you will meet in Wyoming. Congratulations!

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

Let us know what city you move to!!
    Good luck!!
    If you wind up on the east side of Wyoming maybe we could meet up at Lake McConaughy in Nebraska sometime. I could show you some great spots. It’s one of the top walleye fisheries in the country.

Ben Garver

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks for all the info.. We still need to ponder this. I did some checking on Casper. Nice looking city. Average homes are around $133k and most are on acerage and the propery taxes are dirt cheap. No state income taxes and very low unemployment rate. Sounds too good to be true. But this is definately something to consider. And its only 13 hours from Mpls to Casper. Ben I will be in touch..

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

D, I hunted 60 miles west of Casper last year. There is a ton of trout streams in that area. Lots weird boats without motors running around that country.

It’s very different country than what you may be accustomed to. We stopped at a taxidermy shop across from the meat locker in Casper. They guy was mounting all kinds of massive walleyes. I about crapped. I never would have thought eye’s in WY.

Good luck with your decision!!

StaleMackrel

Hi, There is some awesome walleye fishing out there. You have some info all ready but the big thing is that there are some awesome underfished walleye areas. It’s like this, a local catches this ugly looking fish and says, “what is this”? Also, you will find fishing reports on the radio that say, “some 10 lb. walleyes were being caught in the resevoir but what has happened to all the trout that were planted”? You will hear that! Good luck and .

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Casper Until you have been there, you haven’t seen and felt wind That is one of the windiest cities I have ever been to. The country is pretty flat with small rolling hills. It is also drier than a popcorn fart. I lived in Gillette,WY for quite a few years and it is just up the road from Casper. Not trying to rain on your plans, but make sure you drive there and see what you are getting into first. Now, if you are like me, you will like it there. I love Wyoming and all it has to offer. It has its own mystique

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks guys.. Thats what I need is some cons to the area. I see it doesnt get as cold there but gets alot hotter.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Oh it gets real cold there, but, it is for a lot shorter of a time. The heat out there is surprisingly comfortable since the humidity is non-existant. We were out there in 1998 and the wife couldn’t believe it was 100 degrees out. It felt like 70 here in the north land. That is what I miss the most, the dry air. Also winters do not typically get a lot of snowfall. Another thing about Wyoming, get used to trailer parks, that is a majority of the houses out there Casper itself has some real dirty parts and others are really nice, much like everywhere else. If you get a chance to check out the area, drive around and see the bright red buttes that are all over the place. That is some of the reddest rock you will ever see. Also all the side roads are rock and dirt so watch your tires on vehicles. The scorio rock is sharp and punctures many tires

fishinfool
    mn

Wats is right. If you are seriously moving there and have a choice of living. you definately need to research the area before committing. Including average wind speed in the area and average rainfall, and the city itself. I my self would opt for closer to mountain range. Sheridan may be a option if it is for you. Little more up to date city. FF

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Not to keep butting in here, but I forgot a few things
    One of the biggest things you will notice living out West, time seems to slow down. People aren’t living their lives in a mad dash, it is a nice easy going pace. The people are also some of the friendliest you will ever encounter.
    Wyomings economy is geared around fossil fuels. Lots of oil,coal mines,and natural and methane gas production.

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

I have a buddy with land north of Devils Tower. Group of us are heading out early May to build him a cabin and do some turkey hunting. Nice country to be in.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Derek: In addition to the walleye spots listed, their is also some great yellow perch fishing on the Plains Lakes near Laramie (Lake Hattie is the best one I’ve fished). A couple years ago we caught many legit 11″ to 13″ fish. We also caught rainbow and brown trout between 20″ and 24″ using the same lures (ice fishing with jigging spoons and waxies). Kind of a strange mix… but when you can do this with snow capped mountains and antelope in the background, it’s pretty sweet.

Two other things… out there you will quickly learn about the WIND. It can have a huge affect on the your plans.

Also, huge restrictions on ability to use live bait. Very different from the Mid-West.

It’s a different fishing environment… but I bet you can adapt and have just as much fun!

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Like Wats said, the pace of life is a lot different in a good way. My brother lived in Laramie for 7 years and I visited him a few times and always enjoyed my time there.

It’s Bronco country out there! You won’t miss the Vikings a bit.

Here are some photos of a fishing trip on the North Platte near the Pickaroon camp area. It was September, the weather was gorgeous, and we had the whole river to ourselves. We caught one rainbow that day and a bunch of brownies. Nothing of any great size, but it would have still been a perfect day had we not caught a thing.

On our drive home to Laramie, my brother stopped his truck along a flat stretch of the highway and told me to get out and look around and see if I noticed anything that was missing from my usual surroundings. It took me a while to figure it out, but where we stopped on the road one could not see a single artificial light. The moon was out and it was absolutely peaceful.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Another photo.

Willeye
    La Crosse, WI

Me with my first fly-caught trout.

emover
    Malcom, IA

Derek,
    I’ve never lived in Wyoming, but have spent a few weeks there over the years. It can be a very beautiful state, and at the same time a very desolate area. The fishing and scenery in parts are spectacular, and yet there are dry, dusty, windy sage brush covered areas that take a bit of getting used to. I would call it an aquired taste, but one that can be delicious. Visit and sample you may well satiate your apetite.

dave

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Thanks guys…

Nice pics too..

We are going out there for a week before Memorial..

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Quote:

On our drive home to Laramie, my brother stopped his truck along a flat stretch of the highway and told me to get out and look around and see if I noticed anything that was missing from my usual surroundings. It took me a while to figure it out, but where we stopped on the road one could not see a single artificial light. The moon was out and it was absolutely peaceful.

I like that…..that’s Good!!!!!!!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Reminds me of a little story from our elk hunt. We decided to hit the gentleman’s club one night after 3 days of not seeing an elk. Spirits were poor and we needed a pick me up.

The town(3 trailer houses and a bar) appeared to be about 45 miles away by the way the crow flies. Just slightly longer on the gravel roads. Needless to say, an hour and 45 minutes later we pulled into the bar to find it closed on Tues nights. We turned the truck towards Casper, another 70 miles east. Arriving at what looked to be a place of adult entertainment. Walked in, turned around and walked out. Got back into the truck and headed for the cabin. Arriving at our starting point some 5 hours later.

My point, it’s a long way between points in Wy and there isn’t anybody gonna be along for a long while on some the roads out there. My buddy doing the driving kept saying “It’s darker than the inside of a cow”.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

That is so true. When I moved my family back to Colorado a few years ago, we lived 10 miles from town. But, the entire county only had a few thousand people in it. The wife couldn’t believe how dark it was at night. She also couldn’t believe how close and bright the stars were. When you get out west far away from the concrete jungle and busy city life, you will be amazed at how much more relaxed your life seems to be

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

Oh yeah, there are no mosquitos!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.