Healthy eating fish

• matt_grow
    Albertville MN

So I quit smoking over 5 months ago and I’ve packed an extra 25 lbs since. I’m on my way to having five bolt tire fit for use on a good size trailer.
    I know that baked fish may be the best health wise way to eat fish. I’ve just never thought it was tasty. Normally I’ll just powder them with shorelunch and toss them in the pan filled with oil. lately I’ve switched to sunflower oil. But I’m not sure if thats much better.
    Anyone have some healthier ways to eat fish? If I keep this up,….Theres no way I’m fitting into my guidewear next ice season,

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Broil or grill it with garlic and spray butter. Not that PAM stuff in the can. Its the I cant believe its not butter pump spray stuff. 0 fat and tastes like butter.

You can also make soup and toss in the fish meat the last 10 minutes of simmer.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Roll them in crushed Doritos them top them with alittle shreded cheese.

dp
    Rochester,mn

mix 1 large can of durkee fried onions and 1/4 cup of parmesan grated cheese, roll fillets in milk than in mixture and bake at 350-400 degrees (depending on fillet size) for 30-40 min and eat away. I fed this to some of my friends and it is the only way they like it now. good luck.
    Derek

jhalfen

No offense guys, but rolling them in crushed doritos or french fried onions and adding a bunch of cheese isn’t exactly a lo-cal, healthy fish preparation!

I think grilling them is absolutely the best way to eat em. Brush with a little olive oil, generous shake of Lowry’s seasoning salt or some lemon pepper mixture, couple of good lemon squirts and on the grill you go. 10 minutes later you’re in fish-eating heaven. We have one of those fish fillet holders that you load your fish into for grilling. Kind of like a fish-shaped basket that holds the fish together when you flip it. It works GREAT. Here’s a pic.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Just use lots of tobasco!!!!!! LOTS!!!!!!!

That way, nothing will stick!!!!!

col._klink
    St Paul

Boil it!! That is the best way!

Or Smoke it man that is good!!

I am off to eat some right now………..

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

Place fillets in glass baking dish, chop a fresh mango and mix it with your favorite salsa(homemade is best), spread over top of fillets, cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees until fillets turn white and flake. Do not over cook fish or any other wildgame. Enjoy!

perchy
    Owatonna, MN

My kid’s favorite: Place fillets side-by-side in glass baking dish, pour white wine(St. Gabriel reisling is what I use, blue bottle) until fillets are 1/2 covered, place fresh lemon slices on top of fillets, place a pat of butter on top of each lemon slice, sparingly sprinkle minced garlic over everything, sprinkle fresh parsley over everything, cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees until done, approximately 18-20 minutes. This tastes just like the shrimp scampi at Red Lobster! Not as fat-friendly as the salsa/mango recipe, but oh so good!

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

That last one made me hungry MMMMMM, I’m gonna make it right now but I’ll have to go get the reisling,…….Does it work with Miller lite or maybe some Crown? I’ll have to get back to you on that I’m excited/hungry

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

Matt,
    Many great recipes here but you asked about low cal. Bake, broil, or stick your fillet in a George Foreman but get yourself some Cavender’s All Purpose Greek Seasoning and sprinkle it on. All Purpose is right…..this stuff is great on chicken, pork, and turkey. About the only thing I don’t put it on is steak……but who needs anything on a steak?! Look for it in the grocey store where you find salt and pepper…..it is a white, red, and yellow can.

Good luck to you.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

Perchy,….it turned out great! You’re right about the scampi. I’d recommend that one.

I’m going to have to try some filets on the foreman. Those grills are great for everything.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Being a fan of fried fish (and butter) myself, I was really skeptical at first….

Shorelunch and a foreman grill, just dredge the fish in the shorelunch and toss on the grill, I like it cooked until flaky, which is you want to get really technical, flakey is probably leaning towards the overcooked side, but it seemed even better the longer you cooked it crispier shell on the outside.

Now like I said I like fried fish, but I eat that again in a heartbeat, I’d have to try it a couple times more before I decide if I really like it better than fried, it may actually win…

Sounds crazy, just try it

troy seelhammer
    Chatfield, Mn

Put it in a ziplock with a mixture of nightcrawlers that were left in the trunk too long, vomit from a three year old, and vinager. Let it sit in the sun for a week and eat it straight from the bag. Three days later you will be 25 pounds lighter and can eat your next batch fried in butter like it was meant to be. (If I am correct, this is the recipe for lutefisk)

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Sounds like a bass recipe, or maybe something Putz would eat around Christmas…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.