Longshaft motor on a short shaft transom???

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

What are the potential problems of running a 20″ shaft motor, on a 16″ deep transom? Can i make some sort of plate to elevate the motor a little bit more and raise it up? Would a stabiliazion plate help so i wouldn’t need to elevate the motor? Thanks in advance!

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Biggest problem I see is you are gonna have alot of motor under the boat, meaning you won’t be able to go into as shallow of water as you could if it were a short shaft.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

There are transom extensions out there that bolt on to the transom.. I have seen them in the past, I cant find them right now(not enough coffee maybe?).

Your best off building up the transom for the motor or getting an extension. You should be able to get away with building it up to 20″-22″.

gunny
    Minnesota

What type of motor is it. I have the oposite problem, short shaft on a long shaft transom. I have a 2003 yamaha 8 hp with less than 25 hours on it like brand new. If they are in similar condition would you be willing to trade? This would resolve both our problems.

walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Well mine is an older 35hp evinrude, so i don’t you would want to trade, that 8hp is a little more expensive!

2Fishy4U

Try a Jack Plate that will extend the transom upward. Most extent up a few inches in back of the regular transom, so every now and then they will hurt the performance of the boat or simply don’t work well. However, in most cases this should do the trick.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.