WI ATV Laws?

• TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

I am planning on purchasing a 4 wheeler for my 9 year old, and I am wondering what the laws are as fars as him being able to ride it, and where he is able to ride it. Any information would be appreciated.

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

i don’t know this for sure but i think i read you need to take an atv saftey course if you are under the age of 16 to be able to drive one under the age of 16. If im right there. then i think i also read that you can either ride it on private land (not in the city) depending on the city or On public trails? i have no idea if this is right but i think it sound fermiliar. I think the DNR website will have more info on the subject

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

hope this helps

Who is required to to be certified
    All ATVers who ride on public riding areas (trails, frozen waters, routes, permitted county and/or forest lands, etc.) who are at least age 12 and who were born on or after January 1, 1988 must have completed a safety certification course. These ATV operators must carry their safety certification card and they must display it to law enforcement officers when requested.

Anyone 11 years of age or older is eligible to take the class and receive a safety education completion certificate. The certificate does not become valid until the child reaches 12 years of age.

Naabb

Check the rules and regulation book. I believe if the atv is 90cc or smaller he or she may ride on designated trails of Wisconsin DNR. He or she must be accompanied by a parent,too. Please check with a local Wisconsin DNR center which will be able to give you better information to your question.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.