Cajun Line?

• diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

Anyone have any experience in using this red line. Saw the details on the line visibility at depth and though I would buy a spool to try it out. Not ready to change from my line of choice but thought I would try it on one reel this year.

Anyone ever use it? Like or dislike.

Derek

fishinfool
    mn

I wouldnt quite jump to their scientific advise. If you think about what colors on the rivers do we use for lures. I know I use a deep red and black Storm and crawdads. Also we use blood red hooks so why would this be a vanishing color in the river. I vote no. Maybe Im off if so someone correct me. FF

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

good point Fool.

I know a buddy of mine used it on P4 last June and didn’t catch a single fish. we were all doing o.k. except for him.

Coincidence?

birddog
    Mn.

I actually spooled up a bait cast with it last night. My bro bought me some for Christmas, he swears by it! We’ll See…

BIRDDOG

smallmouthbass
    Annandale, MN

I have been using it for the past two seasons Derek and it’s good stuff for the river and lakes. I bought 6 lb and 8 lb for my spinning reels. The abrasion resistance is pretty good and it’s still a line that cast’s well. The memory is on pare with a trilene XL and the stretch is definitely better than XL. Also, better abrasion resistance than XL. I use it for after-dark crankbait trolling on central MN lakes.

The red line gives a “little” better visibility than regular mono too.

I was using Iron Silk solar mint for situations when I wanted a his vis line, but I didn’t like the premature break-offs from incidental hang ups in the rocks. I was expecting something called “Iron Silk” to take a little more abuse than what I experienced. The stuff casts great and has low stretch and memory, but I think it was a little too brittle. There are always trade-offs with anything.

Todd_NE

I’ve been using it on my linecounter reels in 10# test for 2-3 years and am quite happy with it. I fish some relatively clear water environments with it and have been happy. I know last year a fishing partner thought I was nuts fishing for Lakers at Whitefish Bay with it, right up until I caught the first one

I first started using it because a friend recommended it and it’s easy to see while trolling or if something get’s tangled. I guess I’ve just kept buying it out of habit.

darrellcalkins
    st.james mn.

my wife and i use 2lbfor ice fishing. what i have found.is that the line is very abrasion resistant.to the edges of the ice thick or thin.after the ice gets pounded by fisherman vehicles etc.the larger sunnies get very weiry of even the smallest jig or lightest line.in 30 inches of water or 30 ft.my wife likes to use the 2lb.with a light pulse rod. i prefer 4lbor 6lbfor large sunnies and walleye. we use a aqua wiew dt60 very good visibility.at 2 feet in 25 ft water.this line can not be seen.the 4 to 6lb.the larger lines are also invisable.after a good day on the ice i always check for abrasion.i have not used this line in open water yet.but my wife and i are sold on it for iceing.we use other cold weather lines that stand up well very well.but not invisable in 30 ft of water….im sold on this product for ice fishing just my thoughts. see ya on the waves….fish eat sleep

revermann
    Rice, MN

I’ve been using it all winter on one of my panfish rods for ice fishing and I think it works great. I don’t know about the line disappearing underwater but it doesn’t seem to stop the fish from biting. I catch just as many fish as the other guys that I’m fishing with.
    Jamie

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I SPOOLED UP A BAIT CASTER WITH IT LAST SUMMER AND FOUND IT TO BE GOOD TOUGH LINE THAT DOESN’T FRAY AS MUCH AS OTHER MONO LINES I HAVE USED LIKE MENTIONED IN PREVIOUS POSTS. ONE THING IS I TRIED TO USE THIS FOR PITCHING AND FOUND IT VERY HARD TO SEE ABOVE THE WATER. MIGHT JUST BE MY EYES

BUT I AM PLEASED WITH IT PERFORMANCE IN THROWING CRANKS.

JUST MY .02

Dash4Cash
    Saukville, WI.

Diesel, red is a stimulant to bass and walleye, orange and green also stimulate these fish. With that said, red is also the first color to disappear under water, followed by orange. Red will disappear around 15 feet or so, red will look like a grey or black, orange around 25 feet. Water clarity does play a role in this as well. Studies have shown that even in darker water red is still a positive stimulant to bass, up to a certain depth. Maybe this will help with your decision Good luck, Carl

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I was told by a friend of mine who sat as an amateur at several PWT events that several of the pro’s he was teamed up with were using a cajun red line to make leaders. I have been using the line to make 6-8 foot leaders with and with out spinners to use on the big pond, had to give up my secret when I had three, rest of boat zero.

Staggo

I used 4# on Mille Lacs and Alexandria area lakes for eye’s. I didn’t have any problem with it. my $0.02

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

More power to you for trying a change up

I always have a hard time building confidence in a new product when I found something I really like!

With that said, what is your “line of choice”?

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Have used it now for 2 years and like it alot, tho hard to see above water ,great strength & abrasion resistance .I jig ,troll and ice fish with it. I use 6 lb even with 5/8 jigs.Presently use 4,6,8 and 12# .. BUT ,like everything else in life to each his/her own. Give it a try.. good luck JEFF

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Just to add another note .. all mono was a new style at one time and look where it is

marty28
    Mendota Heights, MN

I saw the same scientific studies last year, so I changed over. Every time i went out, i brought in the least amount of fish. I’ve already changed over all of my reels to different line. I wouldn’t touch the stuff again even if they were giving the stuff away.

davenorton50
    Burlington, WI

I have never tried it because I was afraid the quality would be sub-par since Shakespeare sells it .

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

I used to use trilene but I got too many line twists. A friend recommended Stren about 8 years ago and that is all I use now. Could have been my relining causing the twist or spinners or what ever. I just like Stren in clear but just as everything else confidence in yourself and your gear is what puts you over the top when fishing not a trick lure or line.

With that said I guess lure marketing is a lot of hocus pocus. How mant time have WE all bought the hot lure only to find that the same standard go to lure produces.

Ya gotta try something new every now and then but like I said. Only one spool bought and that is not going to spool all 12 of my fishing rods .

Thanks for the feedback guys . I will let you know what I think at the end of the year.

Derek

johnt
    Clinton County, Iowa

Three of us fished all day yesterday. One of us had that new Cajun red line. Guess who didn’t catch anything. I mean nothing, notta, not even a carp, zilch… Mr. Redline. I will say one thing for it when he snapped it off on a snag it sounded just like a gun shot. For what it’s worth. Tut

fishinfool
    mn

definately let us know. I am interested in what the outcome will be. sounds like the board is a split decision on its worthyness. I do agree with H20 on the Solar by Berkley, its awesome but hard to find. Transition is good to but expensive as powerpro ect. GOOD LUCK WITH IT> FISINFOOL

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

IronSilk should be banned…worst line I ever used period. It gets brittle right away and terrible memory in cold weather. Try some Trilene Sensation Solar…you will love it!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.