Viking fans will regret this day!

• bigpike

C-pep is not a poster child for perfection in his personal life or on the field (who is?) but to give up on a 28 year old QB who threw 38TD’s two years ago in what was possibly a top ten season all time for any QB in history over shadowed by Peyton Manning having the greatest statistical season ever, coming into what is considered prime age for a QB in the next 5 years for a second round pick WILL be a huge mistake that will probably set your franchise back more than a few years, personally I feel Pepper and the Vikings could of handled the last 6 months better than what they did, blame could be laid all around. I just don’t see the Vikings getting any better soon based on this trade today, Just my opinion but I wouldnt give up on a player of his caliber that easy- personality flaws and all. Favre went through some rough times in Green Bay at about the same age- as do all profesionals growing up in the limelight- all those things are long forgoten now and are hardly even mentioned. With all the other talent the Vikings seem intent on aquiring why trade away what could be your best chance at taking it to the next level now or in the next few years…….BIG MISTAKE….

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Havent you heard? Brad Johnson is taking us to the superbowl. Heck we dont even need a backup QB..

38TD’s? Those QB’s are a dime a dozen.

The trade wouldnt bother me so much if we would have least gotten Gus back or had a longterm QB signed..

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I respect your opinion. Here is mine.
    We have a new owner. An owner who has professed himself to be an oldworld football fanatic who cut his teeth as a Giants fan. Someone who feels football as a whole has lost the respect for the owners and coaches, and expects his team to adhere to his beliefs on and off the field. Meaning that what you do off the field is as important as what you do on the field. He pays the bills, and in my opinion, he has the right to request that. Do yo think that Bud Grant would have allowed the happenings we were forced to endure in 2005? Not on your life! The boat ride? What an embarrassment! There is no excuse for that kind of behavior. Let me ask you, would you have let your kid go into a department store, and buy a Culpepper jersey after that? How about a Smoot? I don’t think he is done! The “Whizzinator?” Gone! Go away! Parcells, Vermeil, Billik, Chuckie in Tampa, Dungy…Would they accept that kind of behavior? My hat is off to Ziggy! Getting rid of the coach who’s watch it took place on, and the players involved. Do I think it set the system back? Don’t know. But I’ll tell you this! I would rather have a new up and coming QB learn under the likes of Brad Johnson than the one he replaced. Let’s build our own team!
    That is my $.02.
    Tuck

bigpike

If its any consolation Miami cut Ferotte now that they have there QB of the future- now. Chris would you let your kid buy a jersey of a pill poppin-drunk? thats who Bret Favre was before he change his life into an upstanding Christian man, my whole point is that growing up in the NFL eye is tough, Culpepper has all the talent, given time and proper motivation he can change, the best thing for him now is moving to a new city that will welcome him- he still needs to grow up and do his part, the Vikings will never know if he could reach that potential because they gave up on him..

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Some of us have a very long memory when it comes to pro sports.

I will NEVER forget Norm Green.
    I will never forget the car salesman, McCombs.
    I will never forget Polad, (it’s not a loan, it’s our portion)
    I will never forget Polad. (Contraction? How much do I get?)
    I’ll never trust Wilf.

And why should I care about Daunte’?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Hey you forgot to ad Denny Green to that last. Man do miss him..

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

bigpike, no. At the time Favre was at his worst, no. But you know what? I am sick and tired of being the team that has to put up with this crap year in and year out. It is not our job as a team to “Raise” Daunte or any other multi millionaire “Punk” and “Mold” them into a fine upstanding individual. Hey, this is me talking. This is what I expect of me and my kids. Let Miami do it. They did a great job with Ricky Williams. Daunte should fit right in.
    Please, I am not calling you out. You are entitled to your opinion. I see from your sig file where you reside. So it is easy for you to sit on that side of the Croix/Sippi and sling barbs. Heck, we do it to the Pack too.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Ah, yes Denny.

I could do pages on that over-hyped, never won a big game, ego-maniac.

paul follmer
    any where there biting

Lets not forget he is also a big man and a bad knee. I have had three knee surgerys and when you put that kind of weight on that joint and ligaments it will do two things, fail or be very weak. Then arthritus sets in and soon your telling the weather by the pain in your knee then you become a pill poppin junkie. Sound familar (#4) This is the best thing to happen. We need consistency not good year bad year, good year, very bad year.

I live for this years VIKINGS

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Buy low:

Moss in the draft
    Koren Robinson
    Tampa getting Sapp after the Vikes skipped on him

Sell High:
    Moss did nothing and may never be healthy again
    Hershel Walker

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I personnaley would rather rebuild than to continue with the crap we’ve been dealing with, and I don’t mean statistically speaking. We needed to rid ourselves of the cancer that was playing for the Vikings and start anew. If that means we go 8-8 for a few yaesr so be it at least we won’t be embarrassed every time we turn on ESPN. Big mistake? Maybe, but who cares? Go Vikes!!!! I’ll still be a fan, and everyone else can deal with the Moss’s and Culpepper’s and whizzinators and Boat Scandals and etc, etc…

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

I applaud the Vikes new owner for taking a stand and requiring dignity and self control from his players. I’ve been a Vike fan in Bear country for 35 years, and the worst slamming I’ve taken has been in the last 7 or 8 years, namely since Moss rode into town and started his “antics”.

Better in my book to follow a 4-12 team with honor and dignity than a pack of self serving, unabashed, morally bankrupt babies, even if they had a real shot at winning the Super Bowl.

Just my .02. Now I feel much better!

dhnitro
    Markesan, WI

Lets hope Mr. Culpepper can pass his pshyical or the deal is off….Bad Brad is ok, but he won’t be the one to lead the Viks to the promise land. Give them another year….and as of right now Farve is not coming back unless Packers are willing to get some big name receivers…

ggoody
    Mpls MN

News flash for those who missed it.

DC tore all 3 ligaments in his knee……he has no chance to ever be the QB he was.

Sorry….

birddog
    Mn.

Big mistake, I don’t buy into that. DC has a wrecked knee, if he does end up playing again it more than likely won’t be long till he blows it out again. He won’t be the run threat he once was. His biggest downfall from the start has been his small hands, the scouting report was right, he is prone to coughing up the ball!! I’m all for the trade…giving up a severly injured running QB with fumble fingers for young talent. DC is not, nor has he ever been the guy to bring the vikes to the “promised” land. New owner, coach, staff and stadium(?). I like the direction they’re headed, Brad Johnson and all! P.S. I didn’t even touch his off the field problems, that’s a whole different can of worms!

BIRDDOG

nwbuck
    Hartley, IA

Culpepper only looked good when he was throwing to a motivated Moss. Once Moss’ motivation, and ultimately Moss himself, were gone, Culpepper was just another guy taking snaps…and having a hard time throwing to the right colored jerseys. It was time

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I’m never going to understand why people thought Culpepper was so great. The Vikings haven’t done anything in the playoffs for years now so it’s not like we’re going to be out anything.

Statistics in football mainly give the announcers something to talk about, EXCEPT when it comes to turnovers. I really don’t care who has more yards or who has more first downs. But turnovers….when a team turns the ball over they lose. That has always been true. Culpepper is the only guy in NFL history that’s AVERAGED over one turnover per game! In some very important ways this guys was terrible even when he was having his “best” years. Nope, give me somebody who is steady back there, understands the game, and acts like a professional. Adios Dante!

Rootski

bigpike

Chris I see your point, we as a society put athletes on a pedastal and treat them like gods then some of them act like spoiled rotten children always getting what they want, with all the money and idolizing its tough NOT to act that way. Good luck to the Vikings, I still stand by my original position but from a fan’s point of view I can see where enough is enough

nwbuck
    Hartley, IA

I’ve got an idea…how about we offer Favre a retirement job

Even though my second favorite team has always been anyone playing the Packers, I’d love to see that guy in the purple

NWBuck

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

IMHO If you have a cancer, you either cure it or cut it out. Give it some time to cure, if it doesnt, start cutting. Untill Pro Sports Owners like Davis quit paying & pampering these “bad” actors, they will act up. A second round draft for Culpepper is about right given his attitude, if the Vikings dont have to eat any of his contract. As a Packers fan, been there, done that.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Wrong !! Good ridance. We canned Moss and he hasnt done anything for Oakland. I’d rather lose with class than win with [censored]

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Think about this……

New Orleans drafted Drew Brees. They have the #2 overall pick in the draft. Vikes trade one #1 and their 2 2nd round picks, move up and take……

MATT LEINARD!!!!!

Brad Johnson starts this year, Mr America is the QB of the future.

tcfishing
    Anoka, MN

Here is my .02 worth. We and I mean WE all payed him 10 million a year to be the leader of the offense look where it got us (a leader in fumbles just one example). I think with Green, Tice and Red he got his way and with 10 million a year can we SPOILLED!!!. I think all sports should be like Golf and Tournament fishing, You get paid according to your performance each game. We had him for what 6 Years and we need to pay and wait for him to grow up, I don’t think so. 2nd round pick is great for that baggage.

deeplake
    Iron, mn

Dumte Culpepper sucks.. his hands are way to small to be able to hold on to a football.. as for the touchdown passes, i believe he was lucky we had the talented recievers we had or he’d have been done a long time ago..good ridance to a broke down, washed up QB!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I chose to use more tender words regarding Daunte’s future, as I may have to eat them some day. He me be the second coming! He may do great down there. I am just glad it is not here. Brad won’t be the answer by his own admittance. But like Favre, what a great mentor for a young guy coming up.

jldii

I wish Daunte all the luck in the world with his new team. He has some major health issues to overcome, and hopefully he will be able to and return to the game he loves.

He leaves Minnesota a different man than he was when he arrived. Thats all part of growing up, and he made some wrong decisions along the way, but then again, we all have, only he made his under a microscope. I don’t think that all the problems the team had with him as QB can be laid at his feet as so many people seem inclined to do. He was but 1 of the 11 players on the field wearing the Purple and Gold, but never does anybody point fingers at the other 10 who may or may not have done their jobs.

With all the changes the organization is going thru right now, it is probably appropriate that Daunte should leave now also. It’s to bad it ended the way it did.

They say a hunting dog is only as good as its trainer, well the same can be said about football players and the team as a whole. I do not feel Daunte was ever given the best supporting cast to play with, and he sure as heck never got the support of the fans he was out there busting his [censored] off for either.

Maybe Wilf and his staff will take a poll of all the fans and put together a list of all the “conditions” they have to fullfill in order to maybe get them to support the team.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I am an outsider here because I have never liked the Vikings (life-long Packer fan ) but as an outsider I think getting rid of Culpepper is the best thing Minnesota has done in many years. While he has had some good seasons he has not been the leader that the Vikings needed. His play has been anything but consistant and he never showed the ability to think fast in critical situations. He always seems to let bad things get to him. If he has a bad half of football you could always count on him having 3 more games of bad football. Johnson is a prooven commodity and twice the QB that Culpepper ever was. Minnesota’s biggest mistake was getting rid of Johnson the first time around.

Eyehunter

jboecker
    Illinois

Don’t you think that a lot of this has to do with the Vikings needing $$ to build the new stadium?? After the embarassments of last year they had to do something to get people back and willing to spend for the stadium.

Just a thought.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

But like Favre, what a great mentor for a young guy coming up.

Couldn’t agree more. Dante has never been a stand up guy who is going to do the right thing. Let Brad teach a young guy how to play the game from a smart guy who made it in the league on his brains, not all talent in the world.

But all his BS aside, Dante has never made the other players better, only dragged them down when he was playing bad. Look at what TO has done, bad attitude is contagious, and you are better to not have that Talent, then to have the talent dragging everyone down. It has happened all over the league. Gruden cut that Crybaby in Tampa because of the same reason. Let these guys go and your TEAM will be better.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Quote:

His play has been anything but consistant and he never showed the ability to think fast in critical situations.Johnson is a prooven commodity and twice the QB that Culpepper ever was. Minnesota’s biggest mistake was getting rid of Johnson the first time around.

Eyehunter

No it wasn’t. Johnson is not twice the QB Culpepper was, he is about 1/2 the quarterback Duante is. It’s not even close.

There are tons of Daunte haters out there and let me tell you, they are all from Minnesota, or areas that support the Vikes. In the national eye, Duante is respected and looked at as a top QB, which he is.

I have no question about his abilities, his leadership, or his decisions on the football field. But as soon as he started crying and wanting more money and basically being a prick, it was time to either crack the whip on him, or dump him. The Vikes chose to dump him.

Another thing is that we had 2 of the top 10 players in the NFL playing for the Vikes 2 years ago. In trades for them we got: a lousy 3rd string linebacker, a receiver that is 2 years away from even being servicable, and now a second round draft pick. Yippee.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.